Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dilisk dillisk

• 16-06-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

can it still be got in town here ?:),,i havnt seeen it around in years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

can it still be got in town here ?:),,i havnt seeen it around in years
    Fish shop on ballybricken has it(can never remember the name).Om nom nom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i know the one ,,,besides the old bescos yea

Yep.I get it every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Billy Burke's is the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

Annestown when the tide is out is a good spot for picking your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I didn't realise you could buy it, I used to just pick it off the shore when I was a young wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

dilisk dillisk is this a Waterford nickname ,
    If so ,what are we talking about
    ie real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    ie real name.

Dulse or Palmaria palmata if you like!

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    ie real name.

Well it was called dilisk in Galway when I was growing up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I used to pick it up out in Bunmahon when I was but a boy. I think it's horrible stuff TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Many years ago I was shocked that nobody I knew in college had ever heard of Dilisk (or Dulse as they call it up the north).

I tried to explain that it was quite normal for people in Waterford to make sandwiches from dried purple seaweed ,of an intense salty flavour and rubbery texture.......or eat it as a snack with a pint in the pub during the summer.

I was told that Waterford people must be cracked in the head.....or mabey I'd been smoking some funny seaweed........

Tried to eat some of it in me local last year.....f**kin' horrible stuff , but everyone else in the pub seem to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Never had it but would love to give it a go because that sushi seaweed is tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some Japanese genes in the Deise pool it seems. Sounds awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

its full of iodine.... handy have a bag of dillisk around seeing as the iodine tablets the gov issued are out of date:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

bear grylls would be proud of us deise folk lol

I find it really tasty in small doses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm pregnant and have been dreaming of eating seaweed for about a month, couldn't get it anywhere. OH going n to Billy Burke's to pick it up for me tomorrow. Will it be dried or fresh?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm pregnant and have been dreaming of eating seaweed for about a month, couldn't get it anywhere. OH going n to Billy Burke's to pick it up for me tomorrow. Will it be dried or fresh?
    Its dried.They sell it in bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Dillisk is very good for rheumitism,I send it to the states to a friend of mine and he swears on it, he's got rheumitism in his hand's,he soaks it in water (as it is in a dried state) and soaks his hand's in the mixture.

You can use it in homemade bread, I've a recipe for it somewhere. I got it in Ardkeen Quality Foodstores a couple of years ago. I'd forgotten about that. Must try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Oddly enough in times of recession dillisk seems to have gotten expensive.

There's not that many people drying it these days and with the past three summers we've had the drying hasn't been great.

Dillisk needs to be sun dried rather than air dried so the sun is kind of handy to have about!

Plus it's cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

Wow.... I'm living in Waterford 31 years and I've never heard of this stuff. It does sound a bit Angela's Ashes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Typhoon. wrote: »
    its full of iodine.... handy have a bag of dillisk around seeing as the iodine tablets the gov issued are out of date:p

Okay people......Just in case Sellafield melts down or we're in imminent danger of Thermo-Nuclear Armageddon from the North Koreans.......eat plenty of Dilisk.....full of Iodine....so you don't turn into a Morlock......or a CHUD!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikeevee

Yeah, I get it at Currans in Killybegs

you can buy it online at a few places.

Try http://www.dulseonline.co.uk/dulse/

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was out at Bloom in the phoenix park there recently and they had a section featuring old crafts and food from bygone days. Dilisk was there and they had free samples . Had a bit and it reminded me of getting it in bags from shops around town back in the day.

The rock's are full of it it's there for the picking.This is some I picked last week.
    dilisk004medium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

My mouth is watering! The light purple bits are the best, especially the ones covered in salt crystals.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

Freshly dryed dillisk on the current edition of Waterford Today.It doesnt get much better than this folks!:)

jay.i.am wrote: »
    Freshly dryed dillisk on the current edition of Waterford Today.It doesnt get much better than this folks!:)

Ya don't miss much Jay.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement