Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to start kickboxing

• 17-01-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

hi guys im looking to start kickboxing but im not too sure as im a little overweight(partly due to an illness)ive started the gym again so i guess my question would be am i better off getting in shape before i start?ive still got a lot of muscle from before but the amount of weight i put on since i was ill annoys me:mad:.all suggestions are appreciated:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Kimora Careful Marquee

Mick if your carrying an illness I'd say get that sorted, or get the nod from your Doc before training.

Failing that be upfront with your coach about it.

Right thats out of the way.

No, your weight and general fitness won't matter a damn. My background is kickboxing and I was never as fit in my life, its fantastic for getting you in shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Mick if your carrying an illness I'd say get that sorted, or get the nod from your Doc before training.

Failing that be upfront with your coach about it.

Right thats out of the way.

No, your weight and general fitness won't matter a damn. My background is kickboxing and I was never as fit in my life, its fantastic for getting you in shape.

ive gotten the all clear it wasnt life threatening it just gave me a lack of energy really,thanks for the advice about fitness do you know of any good clubs around tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Check out www.blackpanther.ie

I believe they run a kickboxing club somewhere in tallaght.

Enjoy!! Great way to keep fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭leonkickboxing

Hi Mick,

The black panther kickboxing club is in Tallaght, Norman Kelly is highly respected coach.

Just go for it, kickboxing will get you in great shape in no time:)

http://www.blackpanther.ie/

cheers lads will give it a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

Martin Bannon and Dave Heffernan run Tallaght Martial Arts, supposed to be good club too. Google Kickboxing Ireland and there is a list of clubs on the site for your area...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

sungem wrote: »
    Martin Bannon and Dave Heffernan run Tallaght Martial Arts, supposed to be good club too. Google Kickboxing Ireland and there is a list of clubs on the site for your area...

+1
    sound bunch of lads.

siochain wrote: »
    +1
    sound bunch of lads.

googled them yesterday they are 2 mins away from me ill drop up to them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Sorry if I'm highjacking your thread OP , but I'm also looking for a club in Tallaght , does anyone know can ladies train here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Just to throw my 2 cents worth in for womens classes.

We run womens only classes in our place and they are very popular, not too far from Tallaght, Mon wed and thur at 5.30

directions on the web site but we have a new site coming soon as well, with more about the womens only class on it

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Advertisement

gucciali wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm highjacking your thread OP , but I'm also looking for a club in Tallaght , does anyone know can ladies train here ?

i think the community centre in balrothery do womens classes

thanks Paddy women's class would be great , I googled one the other day, is this the one near Ballymount ?

i think the community centre in balrothery do womens classes

Thanks Mick yeh I think I know that one but I think it's more of an exercise thing , whearas I would like to join a club , might make me stick to it more :)

gucciali

yeah thats the one alrighty, the road in behind the maxol petrol station on the ballymount rd. Loads of hitting pads and a bit of circuit training at the end, the women in it love it, and numbers are growing so its starting to look like a nice class now.

my numbers on the site if you need to ring me

thanks for the interest

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

@ Tallaght Martial Arts, sure can.

Thanks Mick yeh I think I know that one but I think it's more of an exercise thing , whearas I would like to join a club , might make me stick to it more :)

no worries let me know how you get on good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Sorry to hijack the thread but @ paddy whats the story with kids classes and times etc. 13 year old (could be big enough for the womens class) and a 10 year old.

JG009

thanks for the interest

Kids classes are on tuesday 5.30 till 6.30 and sat morning 10 till 11.

The classes are only €4 a class, which is fairly cheap, I think.

The kids class is mostly based on fun and learning muay thai through fun, the womens class is more centred around a good aul work out, weight loss, destress and all that, so I would prefer to keep kids in the kids class and women in the womens, if that makes sense.

Feel free to drop me a reply or PM if you need more info

thanks again Paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just wondering, I've never done any kind of martial arts before and I'm thinking of starting kickboxing, thing is I'm 17. Would all the other people in the class be really good? Also do you need to be already physically strong to do it? I'm just under 7 stone and I don't really know how that would work :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Kimora Careful Marquee

Just wondering, I've never done any kind of martial arts before and I'm thinking of starting kickboxing, thing is I'm 17. Would all the other people in the class be really good?

Unlikely.

Also do you need to be already physically strong to do it? I'm just under 7 stone and I don't really know how that would work :confused:

You'l fight/compete in your weight, you'll be fine.

Where are you located?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 NattyRasher

sungem wrote: »

They are a really good club and top notch coaches who teach all levels, ages and both male and female. :o

Advertisement