Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Items disappearing and reappearing

• 26-12-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I have a similar thread started in After Hours about losing stuff that never turns up. But I thought it best not to mention one particular incident in which I lost my bracelet.

I remember the day my mam made it for me. I was going to the RDS to see My Chemical Romance on my own (no one I knew liked them). I saw it as a good luck bracelet. I can't recall how much time past before I lost it, but when I did I was devastated. My nanny bought me a similar one on her trip to Connaught because she shares the same frustration when she loses stuff.

Weeks passed and I had already turned the house upside down looking for the bracelet and had given up. Then one day I was going upstairs and on one of the steps there it was, neatly curled up. Those stairs had been hoovered numerous times and I had searched them more than once. Maybe you could write it off as a coincidence but I like to think it was put there by someone or something paranormal.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Loads of times! :D In the house I grew up in it happened alot, I had a dvd player in my bedroom and the remote control went missing for about 2 years. Went it first went i thought it fell behind the bed,I pulled the room apart but couldn't find it.

Then i thought it was my brother but he swore he had nothing to do with it. It turned up at the foot of my bed on the floor, wasn't there when i went down for breakfast but was there when i came back upstairs :eek:

My brother was at breakfast with me so it wasn't him. Dont know where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Have it with pictures of my mum
    Theyre gone and never came back 3 years ago now
    Live alone with only a dog

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Spent two days looking for a document in work. Completely at the end of my tether about it. Left the office for a few mins, came back to find the missing paperwork on the middle of my desk. Noone else deals with any paperwork where I work and noone was near the office while I stepped out of it. Used to happen a lot with keys etc in the same place. We call it the cosmic joker.

• God this happens to me a lot in my student home, which can get quite annoying. Once my keys that I had left on my bed had somehow managed to split, with one set of keyrings on the middle of the floor, with another still on my bed. Some people had said that it is something I did in my sleep, but I find it extremely hard to seperate them when I'm awake, especially since I keep my fingernails quite short. I'm also a bit of a habitual person, so I always leave a pair of gloves where I know I can find them. Woke up in the morning with one still tucked where I had left them and another on my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

JOTT
    From the Society for Psychical Research

http://www.spr.ac.uk/main/page/paranormal-experience

Jott is our collective word for incidents often dismissed as Just One of Those Things – typically your computer glasses, which live on the desk, vanish; you find them, eventually, in the kitchen drawer, though you are sure you did not put them there. Or perhaps after diligent search you find them sitting where they ought to have been all the time. Or, if you are really unlucky, you never see them again. You may even find another pair of spectacles near by, very similar to yours but not quite the same. Incidents of this sort are known as jottles, and if you have had a jottle please let us know about it.

Jott may look trivial, but a small hole in a large balloon can cause a total collapse, and a discontinuity in the fabric of the environment may lead us to radical ideas about the nature of reality. We already have a substantial body of reports, but to get a clearer idea of the circumstances in which jott occurs, and the meaning to be ascribed to these ‘slips’ in spatial continuity, we need more material. If jotts happen to you, please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

busymum1 wrote: »
    JOTT
    From the Society for Psychical Research

http://www.spr.ac.uk/main/page/paranormal-experience

Jott is our collective word for incidents often dismissed as Just One of Those Things – typically your computer glasses, which live on the desk, vanish; you find them, eventually, in the kitchen drawer, though you are sure you did not put them there. Or perhaps after diligent search you find them sitting where they ought to have been all the time. Or, if you are really unlucky, you never see them again. You may even find another pair of spectacles near by, very similar to yours but not quite the same. Incidents of this sort are known as jottles, and if you have had a jottle please let us know about it.

This sounds really interesting. Im just wondering how do you differentiate between peoples forgetfulness or Freudian slips and JOTT??

Im not saying I dont believe,I think that 9 times out of 10 these things can be explained,if there were constant cameras you'd probably see people doing all sorts of mad things! But I do believe there are those chance occasions when people are genuinely not responsible for things going missing. But how do you tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If some one cleans up the stairs when looking for something and it isn't there and then ends up on the stairs and you find it, how can you possibly explain that in a rational way? Because it makes no sense.

Iv heard many stories of poltergeist cases which this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Similar story to the OP. In one house I lived in and that house only. It always happened and the temporarily missing items always turned up, sometimes within a short period of time and others longer.

There was also a link between the item and how much you needed it at the time. A wallet or car keys would go missing when you were in a hurry. A calculator or a set square (technical drawing) would go missing on steamengine junior midway through homework. In one instance he found his calculator on top of his wardrobe and said to me 'how the h*** did it get up there'? My missing things usually used to turn back up in the same spot they had gone missing from in the first place. I am the type of person who keeps things in one set place. In one instance an item vanished from where I had it a few minutes previously. A cheque that disappeared turned up 3 months later only when the person who gave it to me had written out a replacement. I had thought it was permanently lost.

This poster doesn't need any convincing that such phenomena exist, but I readily understand other people's scepticism.

So do some believe it is poltergeist activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

KeithAFC wrote: »

For me, I don't like to think it was poltergeist activity that put my bracelet on the stairs. I do believe in poltergeists but the idea of having one scares me. I'd prefer to think of it as a guardian angel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I can see why you'd think that, seeing as the disappearance and re-appearance of items have long been touted as features of alleged poltergeist cases; the case of the Enfield Poltergeist being one of the better known ones. I know an awful lot of scepticism has been levelled at that case - and it didn't help that nobody working on the case video recorded, or managed to video record, the activity - but a couple of peripheral witnesses (a lollipop lady and a delivery man) took their independent and simultaneous testimonies of witnessing a sofa cushion appearing of its own accord on the roof of the house to their graves. There were many other unusual and unexplainable incidents as well. Anyone who hasn't read 'This House Is Haunted' by Guy Lyon Playfair (who was one of those who worked on that case) should read it, although there's a scarcity of copies left in print unfortunately. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=this+house+is+haunted&x=10&y=15

In the cases where a poltergeist is not suspected (as in the case of the OP's), maybe it's a case of there being a 'portal' present on the land over which the house was built? I'm only speculating. I don't know why a spirit or an angel, or whatever other being, would meddle with someone's possessions, or even have the ability to do that in the first place.

A lollipop lady said she seen one of the girls floating above the window. Of course, there is no actual evidence for this but why a lollipop lady would be even interested in making that up is beyond me.

I can see why you'd think that, seeing as the disappearance and re-appearance of items have long been touted as features of alleged poltergeist cases; the case of the Enfield Poltergeist being one of the better known ones. I know an awful lot of scepticism has been levelled at that case - and it didn't help that nobody working on the case video recorded, or managed to video record, the activity - but a couple of peripheral witnesses (a lollipop lady and a delivery man) took their independent and simultaneous testimonies of witnessing a sofa cushion appearing of its own accord on the roof of the house to their graves. There were many other unusual and unexplainable incidents as well. Anyone who hasn't read 'This House Is Haunted' by Guy Lyon Playfair (who was one of those who worked on that case) should read it, although there's a scarcity of copies left in print unfortunately. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=this+house+is+haunted&x=10&y=15

In the cases where a poltergeist is not suspected (as in the case of the OP's), maybe it's a case of there being a 'portal' present on the land over which the house was built? I'm only speculating. I don't know why a spirit or an angel, or whatever other being, would meddle with someone's possessions, or even have the ability to do that in the first place.

I don't think my bracelet was taken, which reassures me that I'm not dealing with a poltergeist. I genuinely believe I lost it like anyone would lose something. I just believe someone (angel or spirit) brought it back to me. I've lost many things but I was awfully upset about that one.

A lollipop lady said she seen one of the girls floating above the window. Of course, there is no actual evidence for this but why a lollipop lady would be even interested in making that up is beyond me.

Yeah, she spotted Janet (the girl at the centre of the activity) hovering mid-air through her bedroom window at the same time as the baker (not a delivery man, sorry). Apparently she was quite shaken by what she saw for some time afterwards. It's true that the children faked some of the activity for their own amusement (which diehard sceptics love to point out) - and this was detected by the researchers - but not all of it. How did a child manage to pull a 60lb (around 4-and-a-half stone) Victorian cast-iron fireplace out of the wall and throw it across the room??

There were more than 30 independent witnesses to what happened in that case, including two police officers. They can't all be deluded and/or stupid.

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I don't think my bracelet was taken, which reassures me that I'm not dealing with a poltergeist. I genuinely believe I lost it like anyone would lose something. I just believe someone (angel or spirit) brought it back to me. I've lost many things but I was awfully upset about that one.

Oh yeah, I know - I'd say you're safe enough, lol. :D I don't think I've ever lost anything where it has mysteriously re-appeared later on. I've never noticed anything like that.

I know people who were living in a house in Cork before and things like car keys and jewellery would disappear and re-appear elsewhere. But, again, the nature of that was totally different to what you experienced because they believed their former priest's house was haunted and the wife, in particular, was always creeped out by the place; I spoke about that on this forum recently. Their two-year-old son was conducting full conversations with an invisible man, a heavy cross was found wedged under the door handle of a room (effectively locking them out), and the husband saw a man walk down the stairs and through the wall right in front of him one night while he was sat having tea. They moved out shortly after that final incident and never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Lorrs33 wrote: »

You're in the best position to judge what happened. One can't discount simpler explanations either - for example - You left the bracelet in a pocket, and some time later the item of clothing was taken downstairs by someone else for washing and the bracelet fell out to the side of the stairs. In a one off occurence you certainly shouldn't come to the conclusion it was due to a 'poltergeist'. Poltergeist activity can only be judged as such due to continuous activity. However, I feel that the thrust of your curiosity is directed as to whether physical objects can be moved by forces unseen, and in my own experience the answer is 'Yes'. To be sceptical is a safe position to start evaluating these incidents IMO.

You're in the best position to judge what happened. One can't discount simpler explanations either - for example - You left the bracelet in a pocket, and some time later the item of clothing was taken downstairs by someone else for washing and the bracelet fell out to the side of the stairs. In a one off occurence you certainly shouldn't come to the conclusion it was due to a 'poltergeist'. Poltergeist activity can only be judged as such due to continuous activity. However, I feel that the thrust of your curiosity is directed as to whether physical objects can be moved by forces unseen, and in my own experience the answer is 'Yes'. To be sceptical is a safe position to start evaluating these incidents IMO.

Tbh, I would have considered that if it wasn't for the way the bracelet was lying there. It was curled up and I've dropped that bracelet purposely to see if it was would land that way and it doesn't. It was just eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

If some one cleans up the stairs when looking for something and it isn't there and then ends up on the stairs and you find it, how can you possibly explain that in a rational way? Because it makes no sense.

Iv heard many stories of poltergeist cases which this happens.
    then again if it had fallen in linen basket, and then the person bringing an armful of washing down the stairs, this bracelet was small and could have fallen out of the washing, i find lots of things in linen bin which fell in accidentially

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

It happend more times than I'd care for. And it never comes back, if they did I'd be so happy, I wouldn't have to buy jewellry for a long time, and I'd have all my matching earrings back again :)

Advertisement