Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics (Weightlifting)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Look at the sh*t I have to put up with...

306809_10151955610565258_1119724254_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Ah here, she's not that bad like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Men's 62kg is on now. Indonesian lad just called on a foul but I couldn't see a clear reason and there's no commentator. The fuck you doin, BBC?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Men's 62kg is on now. Indonesian lad just called on a foul but I couldn't see a clear reason and there's no commentator. The fuck you doin, BBC?

There doesn't seem to be any commentary in the B groups, which is itself far superior to the eurosport commentary for the 53 women ("they're slapping her legs to get the lactose out").

That's nuts! The amount of cameras they have and no commentator?! Lame. Still, better than nothing, I guess. Gawbless the red button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Wimmins 58 B class has commentary. It's on now.

I'm gonna get no work done this week. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

How are yiz watching this? VPN to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Jesus Zoe Smith seems strong as an ox but her technique looks way off the others. Not that I know anything about WL but to me she looks really sploppy. Kind of a shame given how light she made it look.

Dathai wrote: »
    How are yiz watching this? VPN to the UK?

If you have Sky Digital, turn on BBC1 and press the red button. You can choose what sport to watch.

kevpants wrote: »
    Jesus Zoe Smith seems strong as an ox but her technique looks way off the others. Not that I know anything about WL but to me she looks really sploppy. Kind of a shame given how light she made it look.

Yeah she's obviously stronger than her technique will allow her to exploit by the looks of it. She's fuggin' gorgeous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Some hoop on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

If you have Sky Digital, turn on BBC1 and press the red button. You can choose what sport to watch.

Have it in work, will probably watch tonight's events before I head off. That's if I'm arsed :pac:

Love the little German's scream.

Love the little German's scream.

She's gas. Lifted well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

North Koreans breaking more records. 327 total, equals the WR snatch with 153. Chinese must be sick.

She's only lifting 5 years or so. The others are probably lifting twice as long.

Only got 3/6 didn't she?

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    She's only lifting 5 years or so. The others are probably lifting twice as long.

Think she started at 12 which is pretty much par for the course at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SnowManPower

In the classic sense, am I the only inhabitant of Planet Earth that believes Bill O'Herlihy knows absolutely nothing about any sport? He, and his two swimming "experts" spent five minutes discussing the 200 meters freestyle final won by France's Yannick Agnel. Not one of them mentioned his name, but they did manage to mention the US swimmer Ryan Lochte's name no less than 10 times in the same time-frame, even though he finished eight.
    This is crap coverage. The same thing happened last night with boxing, when no one on the RTE panel seemed to know the names of the opponents of the Irish boxers. This kind of broadcasting is typical of RTE and is totally lacking in professional, not to mention it deprives viewers of valuable information. This is not a situation where RTE can argue "lack of resources". The inability to cover competitions in an informed and enlightened manner, and present competitions and competitors in a balanced way to viewers is sadly lacking from RTE's coverage thus far. Maybe it will improve, although given Billo's "prodestant" Badminton gaffe last night, it probably won't. Sports department chief Ryle Nugent should start using the whip if it doesn't. Taxpayers are paying for RTE's coverage, and we are not getting value for money. Shape up RTE, or you will start losing a large chunk of your audience to the Beep, where funnily enough, there appears to be absolutely no issue with know the names of those competing in the different competitions.

Paudee wrote: »
    Think she started at 12 which is pretty much par for the course at that level.

I would have thought 9 or 10 no? She is one of the youngest lifters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I would have thought 9 or 10 no? She is one of the youngest lifters too.

They said 12 on the commentary picked up from gymnastics. Pretty sure she said that on that documentary the other week as well.

token wrote: »
    They said 12 on the commentary picked up from gymnastics. Pretty sure she said that on that documentary the other week as well.

I mean most of the other lifters not Zoe.

It's worth pointing out her technique got her within 24kg of a medal, presumably clean. I'd take that.

I'd also take getting within 24kg of her total :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I'd also take getting within 24kg of her total :(

I've no hope of catching Zoe but I reckon I can take Julia with my 25kg extra BW ;(

token wrote: »
    I've no hope of catching Zoe but I reckon I can take Julia with my 25kg extra BW ;(

I'm catching up on Lidders providing she doesn't magic 10kg onto her clean.

In the classic sense, am I the only inhabitant of Planet Earth that believes Bill O'Herlihy knows absolutely nothing about any sport? He, and his two swimming "experts" spent five minutes discussing the 200 meters freestyle final won by France's Yannick Agnel. Not one of them mentioned his name, but they did manage to mention the US swimmer Ryan Lochte's name no less than 10 times in the same time-frame, even though he finished eight.
    This is crap coverage. The same thing happened last night with boxing, when no one on the RTE panel seemed to know the names of the opponents of the Irish boxers. This kind of broadcasting is typical of RTE and is totally lacking in professional, not to mention it deprives viewers of valuable information. This is not a situation where RTE can argue "lack of resources". The inability to cover competitions in an informed and enlightened manner, and present competitions and competitors in a balanced way to viewers is sadly lacking from RTE's coverage thus far. Maybe it will improve, although given Billo's "prodestant" Badminton gaffe last night, it probably won't. Sports department chief Ryle Nugent should start using the whip if it doesn't. Taxpayers are paying for RTE's coverage, and we are not getting value for money. Shape up RTE, or you will start losing a large chunk of your audience to the Beep, where funnily enough, there appears to be absolutely no issue with know the names of those competing in the different competitions.

BBC aren't much better unless they can get a stonewalled expert in on a particular sport. They make plenty of gaffes as well.

I was cringing last night when Gabby Logan was cheerfully introducing the video of Greg Luganis hitting his head on the diving board as if it was some kind of "dog on water-skis" comic relief segment, as he sat on the couch next to her.

Clearly no one bothered looking into the incident enough to realise it was unbelievably traumatic for him not because of the injury but because he was recently diagnosed HIV+ and was panicking because the doctors etc were treating his bleeding head without gloves and he was keeping his illness a secret at this stage.

He quickly changed the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Hmm, just saw a power clean in the womens 63kg. Was a bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Thud

who did it (country)?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Damon Egan probably.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Damon Egan probably.

He's a she now? Makes sense.

France bombing in the 69's along a few others. What was with the North Korean trying to lift without a hook grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

What was with the North Korean trying to lift without a hook grip?

North Korean's learning Frogdog's secret tricks I see!

China finally get a gold in the men's. Pretty dominant too.

Nice attempt at the WR at the end. Great jerk by the Indonesian to take silver. AND almost another medal from a North Korean from the B group, genuine :confused:

• Advertisement

North Korea obviously sending their best lifters into the B group as some kind of strategy. Maybe taking them out of the pressure cooker of competition.

Indonesian was really impressive. Dunno how he made that lift to get silver.

French guy who bombed from injury had the weirdest build I'd ever seen Looked like a badly designed action figure.

Advertisement