Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I haven't really seen much of Lloyd, how good is he? And do you think he'd be a good fit for the Pats?

His Wikipedia page suggests he doesn't stick around very long with any team he's been with...is he a trouble-maker?

For most teams, he'd be a risk, but he's always flourished under Josh McDaniels. He has the best part of 2,000 yards and 16 TDs under McDaniels over the last 2 years, I think he's exactly what we need which is a talented receiver who takes attention away from Gronk/Hernandez/Welker but more importantly knows the system and can play it, which is where we tend to struggle recruiting receivers.
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Been injured a lot recently, and was never looked interested when he was on the field, which was bad from a guy who was supposed to be one of the leaders of the team!

He had Tubes from Soccer AM "throwing" him the ball for half the season - it's commendable that he didn't throw himself in front of oncoming traffic out of disinterest!

curtis-painter-7-nfl.jpg

Chris Johnson cut by the Raiders. That makes last year's draft pick DeMarcus Van Dyke as the most experienced CB on the roster.

Chucky, what are the Raiders like for cap space after all the restructures today (assuming Wimbley doesn't re-sign)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

I haven't really seen much of Lloyd, how good is he? And do you think he'd be a good fit for the Pats?

His Wikipedia page suggests he doesn't stick around very long with any team he's been with...is he a trouble-maker?

Ive seen a good bit of him and his is a bit of an under achiever, blows hot and cold too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Woah. Colts cleaning house. Clark's the biggest wonder, you'd have thought Clark was going to be key to help Luck, he may be 32 but he'd have been a great safety blanket for a young QB. The Colts offense is going to be very, very, very different next season.

Vittatoe has went from unsigned to #1 on the Colts depth chart in two days, 'replacing' Manning, what a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

The Chargers have signed Linebacker Mario Williams
    Oops I mean Demorrio Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He had Tubes from Soccer AM "throwing" him the ball for half the season - it's commendable that he didn't throw himself in front of oncoming traffic out of disinterest!

That's not an excuse for not blocking!

Jets trying to keep Sanchez happy after putting out feelers for Peyton!
    Rotoworld wrote:
    Jets signed QB Mark Sanchez to three-year extension through 2016.
    It's an apology extension. The Jets put out feelers for Peyton Manning, and they were quickly rebuffed. This is Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson's way of saying sorry. On the bright side, the extension should lower Sanchez's salary cap number in 2012, giving the Jets room to operate in free agency. The downside is much worse, of course, especially if Sanchez continues his regression. At the very best, he's plateaued since entering the league. The extension will make the Jets a much less enticing landing spot for free agent quarterbacks that want a legitimate chance to start. Sanchez won't be "competing" for his job anymore.
    Jets QB Mark Sanchez's new contract is a 3-year extension for $40.5 million, giving him five total years for $58.25 million, with $20.5 million fully guaranteed.

Really don't think he's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Woke up this morning, read about the Sanchez extension and immediately facepalmed myself.

They are still coddling him after this time. It's also a statement that any half decent backup like Jason Campbell ain't gonna come with no realistic opportunities to compete.

Overrated OLine - Check
    Mediocre Running Game - Check
    A tosser leading our receivers - Check
    and now Sanchez for 3 more years at least.
    Should be a fun season :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Vikings cut Steve Hutchinson LG

7 time probowler, 34 years old
    Seems he was $7 million against the cap and so was cut
    I don't know a lot about him though the analysts have been raving about him for years.

RG Anthony Herrera cut too

With Matt Kalil at LT and some new starting guards, it's pretty much a new Oline in Minnesota next year
    They're going for young players, Bryant McKinnie LT shipped out last year and Matt Birk left three years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Mark Sanchez:

"The best part about it is they chose to stick with me. I'm going to be the starting quarterback for the next few years here. That's exciting. It gives the team just a reminder that I'm the leader of this team."

Ha, what an idiot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I hope this doesn't give Alex smith any ideas about what a below average QB is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I'm shocked , angry, hungry, depressed, hurt. How can my Jets sign Sanchez. so depressing. The next 3/4 years are going to be awesome fun

:rolleyes:

It really doesn't change anything, only that the Jets won't be pursuing Manning (they didn't have a realistic chance anyway). Just look at the details of Sanchez contract and you'll see it's nothing more than a deal to free up cap space. Unless there's Jets fans out there who had delusions of signing Peyton Manning this offseason, it's actually a very good move by the team when you get down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Vikings cut Steve Hutchinson LG

7 time probowler, 34 years old
    Seems he was $7 million against the cap and so was cut
    I don't know a lot about him though the analysts have been raving about him for years.

The man is pure class. Shaun Alexander and Adrian Peterson both owe him an awful lot. If he still has it in the tank for another season I would love to see him return to the Seahawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

It really doesn't change anything, only that the Jets won't be pursuing Manning (they didn't have a realistic chance anyway). Just look at the details of Sanchez contract and you'll see it's nothing more than a deal to free up cap space.

I agree with you to a degree. The Jets always try and create cap room before free agency, but it shows the organization are going to give him a significant amount of time before pushing him into a back up roll at some point next season.

Also who else is realistically out there we can go for now ? No Manning , no RG3 . Matt Flynn is going to be a risk for any franchise because he's going to get alot of money and is unproven as a starter and when teams start to build tape on him how will he react ? . Campbell/Orton are they any better than Sanchez ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Also who else is realistically out there we can go for now ? No Manning , no RG3 . Matt Flynn is going to be a risk for any franchise because he's going to get alot of money and is unproven as a starter and when teams start to build tape on him how will he react ? . Campbell/Orton are they any better than Sanchez ?

If Manning goes to Arizona then Kolb might be a good fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Chucky, what are the Raiders like for cap space after all the restructures today (assuming Wimbley doesn't re-sign)?

Not sure now but I think we're still only a couple of thousand under, Wimbley should free up about $4.5m so it's a pretty horrible situation. I don't expect us to do a huge amount in free agency except sign a cornerback.

If Manning goes to Arizona then Kolb might be a good fit?

Kolb and his people will probably feel he's good enough to start somewhere next year (he's not). He doesn't strike me as someone who will be willing to step into a backup role again which is what he would be to Sanchez, let's face it. Besides, I think there are more cap-friendly options to come in and compete with Sanchez, whether that's another veteran/career back up or a draft pick. The Jets don't have a whole lot of cap space to work with, and what little they do have needs to be spent on starters (i.e. right tackle, wide receiver, middle linebacker, safety).

The Jets could do a lot worse than look at Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson etc. with a mid-round pick - someone who already knows they will have to work hard to make it in the league and hopefully show that enthusiasm and drive that lights a fire under Sanchez. Would be very cap friendly too.

Salary Cap of $120.6 million will be announced tomorrow. Close to what was expected anyway. The franchise tags are as follows:

QB $14.436m
    RB $7.742m
    WR $9.515m
    TE $5.446m
    OL $9.383m
    DE $10.605m
    DT $7.965m
    LB $8.856m
    CB $10.281m
    S $6.212m
    K/P $2.654m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

It really doesn't change anything, only that the Jets won't be pursuing Manning (they didn't have a realistic chance anyway). Just look at the details of Sanchez contract and you'll see it's nothing more than a deal to free up cap space. Unless there's Jets fans out there who had delusions of signing Peyton Manning this offseason, it's actually a very good move by the team when you get down to it.

it involves $20m guaranteed ...and its not the $40m ...really $4m variety like the McNabb - Redskins deal...its real money ....of course it wont be cos he'll get cut next summer and maybe costing 10 mill and 7-8 mill more against the cap

its true it really is only a sop to keep him happy and Sanchez is on an expensive short leash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Jets already have Greg McElroy, if you add some young competition into the mix the Jets could slow cook a starter from those ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The offseason is just far too long :(

neilster wrote: »
    it involves $20m guaranteed ...and its not the $40m ...really $4m variety like the McNabb - Redskins deal...its real money ....of course it wont be cos he'll get cut next summer and maybe costing 10 mill and 7-8 mill more against the cap

The Jets have made two mistakes.

First, they considered themselves favourites to land Nnamdi Asomugha last year and restructured Bart Scott and Wayne Hunter's contracts to take bigger cap hits this year (thus freeing up space for Nnamdi last year). That didn't happen, so they were always going to be struggling with the cap this year.

The second mistake was even thinking they could land Peyton Manning this year. Even ignoring the cap problem and Sanchez, it would have taken Rex Ryan telling the owners that he needs Peyton Manning to win a Superbowl and admitting that he doesn't think he has the right QB in Sanchez. That would of course lead to the inevitable - Johnson and Tannebaum asking "Why the fúck are you going on national TV guaranteeing the Superbowl then?". (Who knows, maybe this was all a publically orchestrated kick up the backside for Sanchez, i.e. "We're not afraid to pull the plug on you if we think we have to")

I dont think anybody in their right mind thought for a second that Sanchez wouldn't be QB this year. So in reality, the contract comes down to one thing - freeing up cap space. Sanchez isn't getting any extra years guaranteed at the Jets, he isn't getting any huge increase in salary (he is getting an extra $2.75 million but restructuring a contract to help your cap always comes at an additional cost). Cutting Sanchez this year would have cost the Jets $5 million in dead cap space. Thanks to the new contract, cutting Sanchez next year will cost the exact same, give or take a couple of hundred thousand based on performances (you have to think if they're cutting him it will be the latter).

What it also allows is the Jets to offer Sanchez around next summer, and teams will know that they're getting a 4 year deal with only $8 million in guaranteed salary. There would definitely be takers at that. Basically, this contract puts the Jets in a position next summer that is no worse than they are in now, but gives them more options to resolve that situation....all on top of $6.5 million in cap space savings this year.

The contract looks excessive based on what Sanchez could potentially earn if he (a) meets all the escalators and (b) stays for 5 years. But you can bet your ass those Jets fans will be delighted if that happens, because if Sanchez is still there in 5 years that means he's developed into a damn good QB. It's a very good restructure by the Jets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raiders will be cutting tight end Kevin Boss.

Texans cut RT Eric Winston

Shocking move, Winston is the best right tackle in the AFC.
    The Texans Oline is incredible

Winston is a class act and would be a great signing for any number of teams
    I'm amazed they released him, freeing money for Super Mario maybe?

The game is won in the trenches and the Texans are foolish if they lose Winston RT and Chris Myers C

Rams cut Jason Brown Center

He was the highest paid center in the league just a few years ago
    Drafted by the Ravens, performed extremly well and took the big money deal in St Louis

Salary cap cut
    he is due a $5 million base salary and will count $7.2 millon against the salary cap if he were to be brought back

I'd take him back to Baltimore if he can agree a reasonable deal. One of the above average centers in the league and only 28

Sign the man in Baltimore and give him a four year deal

Moss to 49ers...bit surprised with that, it'll either work out averagely or go so spectacularly wrong that it'll screw up their season!
    Filed to ESPN: 49ers reached agreement on a one-year deal with wide receiver Randy Moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Moss to 49ers...bit surprised with that, it'll either work out averagely or go so spectacularly wrong that it'll screw up their season!
    Really? Its a win/win for the 49ers. Moss comes cheap at this late stage in his career and after a year off. If he doesn't work out he is easy to cut, if it works out 'averagely' then its a great deal. I think it could work out very well for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I agree with EE, I don't see any way it can screw up 49ers season.

Last year Harbaugh signed Braylon Edwards, it didn't work out and their season was fine.

I still expect more free agent signings at WR as even with Moss 49ers only have 3 WR's.

Ted Ginn and Josh Morgan both become unrestricted free agents today.

Anyway I see this as a good move with little or no downside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,075 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Even at that Ware didn't get much time on the field last year!

Well they could take Addai now(not a chance of that happening!

Addai,Clark,Bullit and Brackett gone form the Colts

Add in Manning, Wayne, Garcon and Saturday to that, and it really is clearing out house! 6 starters from the offense gone in one off season!

Can't see us competing for a long time!

Wake up!

You were god damn awful last year. Those players obviously weren't up to scratch. Having a cull of guys who couldn't get it done without the (arguably) GOAT playing QB will get you competing in the shortest time possible.

Brilliant work from the Colts FO imo. They are thoroughly embracing the rebuilding project ahead. New Franchise QB, loads of cap room, and probably another year or two of highish draft picks and they'll be challenging for a superbowl trip from 2015 (unless Luck doesn't turn out to be what he is supposed to be).

Advertisement