Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical price for after school care

• 05-03-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our daughter will be starting school this year. We are based in the midlands and we may ask a local lady to provide after school care for her while we work.

She will finish school at 2.00, the lady lives within walking distance and will collect her and either myself or my wife will collect her between 5 and 5.30.

What do you think is a fair price to pay for this after school care or what are people paying typically?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

will she be the only child there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'm in Dublin and my lad is a bit older (9). My minder drives to collect him from school (2.30) but she lives beside me, so I just collect him when I get home at 6pm. I pay 20e per day. He doesn't always get a hot dinner nor is his homework always completed when I get home, but he's happy there and if I could afford to, I'd pay her more.

I've mentioned to people that I'm paying 100pw for afterschool care for a 9yr old - most are appalled and think it's very high - but I don't think 20e per day is alot. I don't pay when she doesn't have him, nor do I pay over Xmas or Easter holidays etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would say 5 euro an hour.
    So 3.5 x 5 - 17.50
    I would pay until 17:30 if it is going to be around the 2.
    If she is providing DInner and doing her homework with her I would round it up to 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

€100 for two girl's (6 & 9), includes pick up, dinner & homework. ONe collected at 1.30 and one at 2.30. Picked up at 5.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

will she be the only child there?

She is our only child, the lady will have other kids coming and going (her own grandchildren).

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and my lad is a bit older (9). My minder drives to collect him from school (2.30) but she lives beside me, so I just collect him when I get home at 6pm. I pay 20e per day. He doesn't always get a hot dinner nor is his homework always completed when I get home, but he's happy there and if I could afford to, I'd pay her more.

I've mentioned to people that I'm paying 100pw for afterschool care for a 9yr old - most are appalled and think it's very high - but I don't think 20e per day is alot. I don't pay when she doesn't have him, nor do I pay over Xmas or Easter holidays etc.

Thanks for that. I think the fact that the kid is happy there is the main thing. I would have thought €20 would be fair but I'm hearing the same thing about it being too much.

I think its a good deal when you consider you dont have to pay for when you're on holidays with your kid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Make sure holidays are covered in your contract too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I would say in towns outside Dublin it averages €15 per day and then extra for full days. Some places charge double for full days and some charge less than double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

€4 per hour, she also takes my daughter for an hour before school, drops her to school, collects her at two, gives her a snack, helps with homework etc. I only pay her for the hours, so I don't have to pay anything for holidays etc. When my daughter was younger I had a different childminder altogether who, to be honest, was a cheeky witch in terms of the money she was looking for. That aside, I then found out that she was taking my one year old up over the border with her to go do her shopping in Newry. That was bad enough, but then I discovered that she was strapping her in to the backseat in a plain old seatbelt... no childseat whatsoever. Needless to say, I finished with her in a hurry.

edited to add : My child had CONSTANT headlice, was treating her every month for months on end. Some other child she was minding at the same time was riddled with them.... never occurred to the childminder to mention it to the other childs mother... Anyway, since I stopped using that childminder, my girl has never, ever had nits. She was two when I finished with the other childminder, had had nits perhaps half a dozen times as a toddler, and has never had them since. She's in school in Senior Infants now so you'd imagine she would have, but no. Unreal really. I think when you find a good childminder, you stick with them! Have had my fair share of horror stories with the first woman I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Rate in Dublin is generally €5 per hour for part time care, daily/ weekly rates are negotiable for full time but usually come in at €45 per day. You need to be clear about school holidays, days off, food, homework etc before you start, it will save a lot of hassle later if everyone knows where they stand. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

acermaple wrote: »
    Rate in Dublin is generally €5 per hour for part time care, daily/ weekly rates are negotiable for full time but usually come in at €45 per day. You need to be clear about school holidays, days off, food, homework etc before you start, it will save a lot of hassle later if everyone knows where they stand. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Thanks very much, very nervous about it to be honest. Creche has been great, but they won't be able to do school pick ups in September so thought we'd better try and start planning for someone local.

Lots of good advice given here particularly your point about making sure everything is clear in advance.

embee wrote: »
    €4 per hour, she also takes my daughter for an hour before school, drops her to school, collects her at two, gives her a snack, helps with homework etc. I only pay her for the hours, so I don't have to pay anything for holidays etc. When my daughter was younger I had a different childminder altogether who, to be honest, was a cheeky witch in terms of the money she was looking for. That aside, I then found out that she was taking my one year old up over the border with her to go do her shopping in Newry. That was bad enough, but then I discovered that she was strapping her in to the backseat in a plain old seatbelt... no childseat whatsoever. Needless to say, I finished with her in a hurry.

edited to add : My child had CONSTANT headlice, was treating her every month for months on end. Some other child she was minding at the same time was riddled with them.... never occurred to the childminder to mention it to the other childs mother... Anyway, since I stopped using that childminder, my girl has never, ever had nits. She was two when I finished with the other childminder, had had nits perhaps half a dozen times as a toddler, and has never had them since. She's in school in Senior Infants now so you'd imagine she would have, but no. Unreal really. I think when you find a good childminder, you stick with them! Have had my fair share of horror stories with the first woman I used.

That sounds like nightmare stuff. I think the person we have in mind will be a good one, but sure you'd still be nervous all the same. Our little daughter is flying it in the creche at the moment - very outgoing and confident for a four year old. Just want to make sure that the school experience is pleasant and that the person who'll look after her until we get home from work is the right person.

Thanks for taking the time to give advice.

Advertisement