Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piaggio MP3 licence

• 04-11-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of buying a piaggio mp3 scooter for the commute to work. I have a provisional bike licence and a full car licence.

I was told by my insurance company that i could ride it on my car licenece because it is a trike.

The reason I am asking is that I am a bit on the heavy side and would prefer the 400cc version which i wouldn't be able to ride on a provisional bike licence. would be limited to the 250cc one under the power to weight rules.

Does anyone own one and what licenece do you ride it on.

Any help would be appreciated as the new bus schedule means i am often late for work and need to get the scooter thing sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

According to a thread on here a while ago its a B car licence you need :eek:
    When I'm not on my Ducati, I ride my MP3 most days

i.php?a=PiaggioMP3&i=-9.jpg&w=450&h=

I'm not claiming it's an exciting sports bike. It is however very safe! While also allowing you to commute, filter and generally get around at motorcycle speeds. Might be a positive or negative for you, but whether you have the 125, 250, 400 or 500cc version you need a category B license to drive this, in other words a car license. Still taxed as a motorcycle though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032161&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

fairly valid question tbh!

fwiw:
    you pay motorcycle tax on it, yet..
    met a guy on a rideout once who had one of these - and was having huge difficulties getting an 'A' driving test conducted, as the testers didnt recognise it as being a motorcycle.. wtf?

I think its quite a large grey area with regards license,tax,insurance.. outdated laws not helping in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yeah its taxed as a bike, VRT'ed as a bike, licensed as a car :confused:

Everywhere else in Europe its a bike licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah its taxed as a bike, VRT'ed as a bike, licensed as a car :confused:

Everywhere else in Europe its a bike licence.

Hi, welcome to Ireland.

Feel free to leave your common sense at the door, you won't be needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

thanks for the replies. Even the NRA who apparently know about these things say they are not sure.

Deffinately an irish answer to a simple enough problem. I have some experience on bikes so shouldn't be an issue for me but to think that having a car licence to ride one is scary enough as they are completely different.

At least I should be able to get the 400cc engined version so shouldn't be as sluggish to ride.

Does anyone have any experience on an mp3 ? How do you rate them against a standard scooter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

ra0044 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies. Even the NRA who apparently know about these things say they are not sure.

Deffinately an irish answer to a simple enough problem. I have some experience on bikes so shouldn't be an issue for me but to think that having a car licence to ride one is scary enough as they are completely different.

At least I should be able to get the 400cc engined version so shouldn't be as sluggish to ride.

Does anyone have any experience on an mp3 ? How do you rate them against a standard scooter?

Hello! I contacted the Department of Transport before I bought mine, they forwarded my question to the RSA for an answer:

Sent: 26 May 2009 14:21
    To: ***, ***
    Subject: FW: What licence required?

Hi ***

A tricycle is regarded as a vehicle in category "B" for driver licensing purposes, and the driver is therefore required to hold a category "B" driving licence.

Regards
    Breda
    Driving Licensing Section

I bought my MP3 in London and rode it back to Ireland, so I can confirm VRT is calculated based on it being a motorcycle. Motortax is also motorcycle based. But RSA and AON both told me I need a car license to ride it.

Just to clarify on what you use in the rest of Europe, when I bought it in London I was riding it over there on my motorcycle license (I have full car and motorcycle license). In the UK and the rest of the EU the standard MP3 is ridden on a bike license, unless a Piaggio dealer officially modifies it for you by using spacers on the front wheels and makes them 2cm further apart from each other. Then under EU law you can ride it on a car license. Piaggio also make a production model called the "MP3 LT" that already has the front wheels 2 cm further apart, so this model is driven on a car license in all EU countries.

They pretty much handle like any other ordinary scooter or motorcycle. Last 3 days I've been riding my Monster, but most days I'm on the MP3 and switching between the two presents no problems. Braking and grip in wet conditions is excellent. I'd recommend you stick with the recommended Michelin tyres if you get one. The rear wears very quickly, but this is balanced somewhat by the very slow wear and tear on the front tyres.

I can't really compare it to any other scooters, my MP3 was my first foray into the scooter world, I have the 250cc version which I find has acceptable power for my commute. I was tempted by the 500cc Gilera Fuoco, but after seeing the Quadro, I think I'll wait for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8rF9_hvc0

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Now that looks like a great machine. Looks perfect for commuting on.

I to looked at the Gillera and was really tempted but sadly the insurance seems a good bit higher.

Will head out this weekend and see what second hand MP3's are out there.

Cant wait to be able to get off the bus and be at work in plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Well here is a silly follow up question, could one do their car driving test on an mp3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Well here is a silly follow up question, could one do their car driving test on an mp3?

Maybe, but it has a CVT, so you would be limited to automatic cars if you passed on it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Wossack wrote: »
    fairly valid question tbh!

fwiw:
    you pay motorcycle tax on it, yet..
    met a guy on a rideout once who had one of these - and was having huge difficulties getting an 'A' driving test conducted, as the testers didnt recognise it as being a motorcycle.. wtf?

I think its quite a large grey area with regards license,tax,insurance.. outdated laws not helping in the slightest

Obviously it's not a motorcycle, it's a car it has 3 wheels lol wtf. Motorbikes have 2 wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

Synthol wrote: »
    Obviously it's not a motorcycle, it's a car it has 3 wheels lol wtf. Motorbikes have 2 wheels

info may be out of date, threads 7/8 years old - no idea the story these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

old thread, but is this still the logic? those 3 wheeler scooters can be ridden on a B licence? does it apply to all 3 wheelers or just the piaggio ones? is it insured as a bike or a car? i.e. will a regular insurance provider give a policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

chasm wrote: »
    Trikes come under motorbike licences since January 2013 and are restricted depending on which bike licence is held so it depends when you acquired the full B licence as to whether you can ride a trike or not.

The NDLS state
    "Tricycle: Where a person had an entitlement to the category B full licence prior to 19 January 2013 that also covered them to ride tricycles. They still retain that entitlement. All first full Licences issued for the category B from 19 January 2013 would not have this entitlement and therefore they must take out the appropriate Bike category to ride a trike. The appropriate bike category will depend on the CC of the Tricycle."

When i queried trikes and licences with the RSA previously i was told "A person who previously had a category B driving licence with restriction code 73 on the licence will on renewal be given both category B and A with code 46. Restricted to Tricycle"

http://www.ndls.ie/en/Driving-Licence/driving-licence-categories.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=89615416

Advertisement