Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

• 31-05-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

Hi I was wondering does anyone know what is the situation with this payment. I rang my local health board to get the form sent out to me and they informed me that they are no longer dealing with it and they don't know who is dealing with it now, that is all the information they have. They said there should be a statement soon and to keep an eye out for statements in media!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

heathcliff wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering does anyone know what is the situation with this payment. I rang my local health board to get the form sent out to me and they informed me that they are no longer dealing with it and they don't know who is dealing with it now, that is all the information they have. They said there should be a statement soon and to keep an eye out for statements in media!!
    hi OP did you get it last year? if you did they will eventually send you out an application form for this year. if you dont want to wait till then (and i wouldnt) keep an eye on your local paper as a notice will appear telling you where to get the form and where to send it. Beware, the CWOs are not processing BSCFA anymore. The form will be downloadable soon on www.welfare.ie. Beware dont pay any attention to www.hse.ie the form downloadable there is last years, as are the PO Box details:(your right to enquire about it now. it has been a long-winded affair for the last two years since the CWOs stopped dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    hi OP did you get it last year? if you did they will eventually send you out an application form for this year. if you dont want to wait till then (and i wouldnt) keep an eye on your local paper as a notice will appear telling you where to get the form and where to send it. Beware, the CWOs are not processing BSCFA anymore. The form will be downloadable soon on www.welfare.ie. Beware dont pay any attention to www.hse.ie the form downloadable there is last years, as are the PO Box details:(your right to enquire about it now. it has been a long-winded affair for the last two years since the CWOs stopped dealing with it.

Never heard of them sending out forms! Thought it was a case of whoever asks... You have to beg and scrap for everything. I went into the cwo today and she also said they are not dealing with it this year and just to keep an eye out on the national papers. She said it will still be available but through another source.... Hopefully we will all get it on time for the school year this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

heathcliff wrote: »

Joan Burton, TD, Minister for Social Protection today (31st May, 2011 ) said that approximately 160,000 families are expected to benefit from the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance (BSCFA) over the summer months.

“This Scheme, which is administered by the Department of Social Protection, assists eligible categories of people help meet the cost of school clothing and footwear. The Allowance is paid in respect of eligible children between the ages of 2 and 17 years of age and between the ages of 18 and 22, if in full time education”, said the Minister.

The payment rates for the 2011 Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance scheme are €200 in respect of children aged 2 to 11 on 30 September 2011 and €305 for children aged 12 to 22 on 30th September 2011.

Minister Burton continued: “€82 million has been made available by Government this year for the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance scheme. This level of support, which exceeds the €77.4million spent on the Scheme last year, shows the Government’s commitment to assisting families who are under pressure financially; in particular recognising that the start of a school year can be a very pressurised time on household budgets.”

The administrative arrangements for the 2011 Scheme will differ from those that applied in previous years. For this year, the majority of Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance entitlements will be fully automated with no application form required from customers. These customers will simply receive a letter from the Department of Social Protection in mid-June telling them when and how their payment will be made.

A customer who does not receive an automated payment will be required to complete an application form which will become available from 30th June 2011. These applications will then be processed from one centralised unit within the Department of Social Protection.

Minister Burton said that the administrative arrangements for the 2011 Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance scheme are an example of the efficiencies that can be achieved through the greater use of technology and she acknowledged the role of the staff in the Department of Social Protection in bringing about these efficiencies. The Minister also acknowledged the excellent work of the Community Welfare Service in administering the scheme in previous years under difficult circumstances.

It is expected that in excess of 80% of customers entitled to the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance in 2011 will automatically receive the Allowance, with payments to these customers issuing from the end of June 2011.

ENDS

Notes for Editors
    Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance 2011

Income limit for Couple
    Couple with: Income limit
    1 child
    €563.60
    2 children
    €593.40
    3 children
    €623.20
    4 children
    €653.00 (*See Note )

Income limit for Lone Parent
    Lone Parent with: Income limit
    1 child
    €410.10
    2 children
    €439.90
    3 children
    €469.70
    4 children
    €499.50 (*See Note )
    *Note
    Limit is increased by €29.80 for each additional child.

Rates of Payment
    The rates of payment are:
    (a) €200 in respect of children ages 2 to 11 on 30th September 2011;
    (b) €305 in respect of children ages 12 to 22 on the 30th September 2011.

fantastic news, thanks for posting Rebbeca_30:)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

@ Faw1tytowers, They posted it out to me after I called up the health centre last year..

@ Rebecca, Thanks for that information,

Heathcliff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

excellent news great post thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

has anyone recieved a letter yet i wouldnt say they will be in a rush

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/BacktoSchoolClothingandFootwearAllowance.aspx
    It says on the above link the letters will be received in mid June so might be a small bit too early just yet.
    If you don't receive a letter the form will be available online from 30th June 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

ive had a read of citizens information and the welfare site about this and i take it that this isnt means tested,ie your mortgage utilities loans etc arent taken into account??just need it spelled out for me so im sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You must be in receipt of certain payments to receive it - these payments are listed here:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/swa_bts.aspx#annex. If you are receiving any one of these payments you must be receiving an increase for your child on it.
    Your total household income must be below a certain amount for your family size. your total household income must be less than the amounts set out in the table below.
    Your total household income includes your main social welfare or Health Service Executive payment, the income of any dependent children on the Youthreach Programme and any other income you may have including wages (before tax, but excluding PRSI and a standard travel allowance of up to €20 per week), maintenance, savings and investments.
    The income limits can be found on www.welfare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kazziedal1976

Has anyone recieved a letter yet, It's nearly the end of June and I know I will by eligable to get it as I got it last year and nothings changed. I am getting worried now because I haven't heard from them yet. It would make me feel a lot better to know that other people who should get it also haven't recieved their letters either then I would know I haven't just slipped out of their system!
    Thanks

same here as they said middle of june thought letters be out by now

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

no i didnt get my letter yet either. hope it comes this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tagine

was going to ask d same question.. dont think anyone has got letter yet

it would be good to know what payment they are paying it through if its with child benifit then it wont be for a couple of weeks but if its with your weekly social welfare payment then the letters should be out soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Sorry,not highjacking the thread,But would anyone know if my partner can claim this for his daughter. She lives with her mother who works part time but doesnt collect benefits. My partner is on SWA.
    Usually when it comes to the uniform both parents chip in with help from grandparents.
    Just wondering if he should apply.
    Thanks.

nope no letter.... :(

chucken1 wrote: »
    Sorry,not highjacking the thread,But would anyone know if my partner can claim this for his daughter. She lives with her mother who works part time but doesnt collect benefits. My partner is on SWA.
    Usually when it comes to the uniform both parents chip in with help from grandparents.
    Just wondering if he should apply.
    Thanks.
    not sure if she has to be living with him might be worth him contacting his local sw office or cwo about it

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

no letter today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 karenmch

no letter today either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

It doesnt apply to me but, if i had a number you guys could ring to enquire about this i would give it to you. There is no point going to the CWO, they are nothing to do with it any more. Its the same with the Third Level Education Grants Application forms. This time last year we had been downloading them for at least 4 weeks, this year, zilch, nada. Students will be waiting now till November for the first grant to come in. Try telling the landlord hes not going to get his rent till November. Sorry mods, i know i shouldnt be moaning on this forum. please forgive.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Just seen it advertised in my local paper. You can get it online at the start of July at welfare.ie, or to get the form sent out to you by texting a number. Not 100% sure of the number now but I will check and let you know.

Just seen it advertised in my local paper. You can get it online at the start of July at welfare.ie, or to get the form sent out to you by texting a number. Not 100% sure of the number now but I will check and let you know.

which allowance did you see advertised in the paper the education or footwear allowance form at start of july

jjll wrote: »
    which allowance did you see advertised in the paper the education or footwear allowance form at start of july

The back to school clothing and footwear allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Text the form code and your name and adress to 51909
    eg, text FORM BTSCFA Mary Murphy 1 New Street, Old Town, Co. Donegal. to 51909

make sure you put FORM BTSCFA in CAPS or the text will return as invalid.
    I text it tonight and I got a text back straight away saying the form will be posted in 5 working days.

Yes it's text FORM BTSCFA and your name and address to 51909. Or you can download it from welfare.ie at the beginning of July.

do you think we should text for the form or wait and see if we get a letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

i was told if u got it last year and ur circumstances r the same u would recieve it automatically into ur local post office.

• Advertisement

when will it be in the post office

Advertisement