Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush - Clockwork Angels Release Date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just got the new Rush yesterday: so far, the title track is doing the most damage to my head. I don't think I've ever heard Rush swing before, but they manage it here. It has a kind of weightless feel to it while still being heavy - a contradiction, I know, but that's what I get from it. Apart from that - like any Rush album, it doesn't lend itself to a quick review.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

After spending a solid week listening to it (minimum 3 times a day), i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

After spending a solid week listening to it (minimum 3 times a day), i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures :eek:

I'll add Permanent Waves and declare the finest 3 albums of their career.:)
    Ill even admit to shedding a tear or two with The Garden...

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'll add Permanent Waves and declare the finest 3 albums of their career.:)
    Ill even admit to shedding a tear or two with The Garden...

Ah Permanent Waves, it was my first Rush album and made my jaw hit the floor and me fall in love with them.

They've such a large body of fantastic work (and i'm a huge fan of their prog noodlings) it's hard to say top 3 for myself, but i will say my top 6 albums are 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, PM, MP, CA.

I'll admit The Garden took me quite a few listens, but it's probably their best ballad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

348 days til Berlin !!!!!!! woo hooo ....*

* This could be the longest "countdown" ever*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Does any hope remain for an Irish show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

xerces wrote: »
    Does any hope remain for an Irish show?

I've lost hope myself so am going to the London O2 show with a mate!

i'm a huge fan of their prog noodlings

If you like Prog noodlings ... may I recommend Astra ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looking at the lyrics, The Anarchist seems like it could stand up to a Death Metal cover version. I don't think I've ever seen such cold anger in Rush lyrics before:
    The lenses inside of me that paint the world black
    The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage
    The things I've always been denied
    An early promise that somehow died
    A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage ...
    :mad: :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'll admit The Garden took me quite a few listens, but it's probably their best ballad now.

Available Light is better (imo).

As to the album as a whole my initial thoughts are that its on a par with Vapor Trails for me (which I really like). However it doesn't come close to the vast majority of their output. A huge improvement on Snakes and Arrows though. Rush albums do have a tendency to improve the more I listen to them so that opinion could change.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Looking at the lyrics, The Anarchist seems like it could stand up to a Death Metal cover version. I don't think I've ever seen such cold anger in Rush lyrics before:
    :mad: :cool:

Far more eloquent than most death metal (and i'm speaking as a massive, massive death metaller).

I think though it fits, moreso than anything they've done, this album is a fictional story. It's a bit of an odd shift considering Peart's lyrical output for the last how many decades, never thought he'd return to this kind of storytelling tbh (my fave song on the album too!).

RayCon wrote: »
    If you like Prog noodlings ... may I recommend Astra ....

To the ever evolving and expanding 'to buy' list that goes :pac:

To the ever evolving and expanding 'to buy' list that goes :pac:

Their debut album, The Weirding, is a cracker too ...

Here's the opening track with a pretty excellent Fan-Made video ...

http://youtu.be/aD0HWo0T_xQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

My mate just picked me up a ticket for the O2 in London
    332 days to go.....

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy sh!t cakes ... check out the setlist from the first night of the tour !!!!

Analogue Kid !!!!!! Fcukin Analogue Kid !!!!! AARRGGHHHHH :cool:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/verizon-wireless-arena-manchester-nh-bdc4162.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Really hope they come back again after the reception they got last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Brilliant 80s dominated set-list. I'm delighted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I'm getting notions of travelling to see them next summer, I've never seen them before...

271 days til Berlin !!!!!:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

271 days til Berlin !!!!!:cool::D

I haven't looked for a ticket, but the German shows are tempting me more by the day.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy sh!t cakes ... check out the setlist from the first night of the tour !!!!

Analogue Kid !!!!!! Fcukin Analogue Kid !!!!! AARRGGHHHHH :cool:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/verizon-wireless-arena-manchester-nh-bdc4162.html

They haven't played 'Grand Designs' live since 1986?! :eek: That's once of my favourite songs from their entire catalogue!

Good to see 'The Anarchist' on the set list too - i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's better than at least half of Moving Pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Baggio1

sounds a heck of a setlist for sure.

the album?.. yeahh its veryy good, some elements of vocals am not crazy about, but overall its as good as snakes n arrows,, pity theres no instrumental, but there is some great instrumental passages -

for me its a combination of test for echo,vapour trails and snakes n arrows all entwined,, you can hear hints/moments of all those albums on there...

great stuff form the 3 mastercraftsmen.... a real shame they dont seem to be coming this way on the tour.

5 changes in the setlist on the 2nd night of the tour ... interesting ...

FYI - 2nd night is listed 1st in the attachment ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Think will we see Rush back in 2013? I know they're playing in the UK in May, but no word on an Irish date. after the gig last year, I'd think they should be back?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I really really hope so, but I'm wary of getting my hopes up :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As I said earlier in the thread it seems veerrryy unlikely that they'll play here next summer as you'd think they would have announced it long ago. Going to London to see em myself (thank god for having relatives over there so the only expense is a cheap flight!). Having said that, it would be great if they did come back and I'd happily see em twice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm going to Birmingham to see them (again) but would love a show here.
    Love the new album, and would put it in the top 5 of theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Guess who are nominated to be inducted into the hall of fame....at last. Not that it means much, but its about time they got the recognition from a huge selling magazine. Fans can vote too....Rush dominating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Rumours are about that 3 additional euro dates to be announced soon (1 probably a festival) and 30 US tour dates autumn 2013. Hopefully Dublin/Belfast slot?

Advertisement