Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Syferus wrote: »
    I think the 49ers look good at receiver now. I'd rate re-signing Ted Ginn Jr. as higher than signing any new face, though, he's great on special teams and has developed into a good #3 receiver. If he wasn't injured versus the Giants the 49ers could easily have an extra Lombardi in the trophy case right now.

The Lions look very interested in him but he'd be a huge boon for the team as a whole if they could make a late charge for him.
    Yeah, the Lions are bringing him in for a visit today.
    Although I'm a bit surprised by the interest. There are 3 very good receivers in Megatron, Burleson & Young. Although the special teams was quite poor last season so thats maybe where the focus of his possible signing may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TimThomas wrote: »
    What a ridiculous argument going on here. Firstly its all just rumours about would they or wouldnt they take Tim Tebow. The fact the owner stirred the pot makes every idiot in the main media jump on the band wagon and say he will be a Jag if Manning goes to Denver but it reality Tebow offers nothing to the Jags other than PR and Jersey sales and temporary full stadiums. One would be a fool to think other wise. Why take Tebow to throw footballs when you have Gabbert who has a better pass than Tebow doesnt make a lick of sense. And now taking Henne shows they wont be taking Tim if he comes free.
    If you had the opportunity to take Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons then I think, bar the elite QBs and some of the better non-elite ones, there is no team that would turn down that opportunity if they had the cap room to get it done. That doesn't make Tebow a bad QB, it just means that one of the two greatest QBs of the last decade and a bit is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

And Tim, that all boils down to you being a Tebow sceptic, which is an argument for another day.

haha yeah alright buddy. More speculating from you it seems.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you had the opportunity to take Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons then I think, bar the elite QBs and some of the better non-elite ones, there is no team that would turn down that opportunity if they had the cap room to get it done. That doesn't make Tebow a bad QB, it just means that one of the two greatest QBs of the last decade and a bit is available.

what has any of what you just said got to do what I wrote in the piece you quoted? I wasn't talking about Manning or Why Denver are trying to grab him. I am pretty sure I was talking about Tebow and the Jags but hey let me re-read what I just wrote...... Yup Tebow and the Jags.

what has any of what you just said got to do what I wrote in the piece you quoted? I wasn't talking about Manning or Why Denver are trying to grab him. I am pretty sure I was talking about Tebow and the Jag but hey let me re-read what I just wrote...... Yup Tebow and the Jags.
    Its your comments suggesting that Gabbert is better than Tebow which led me down the path I went with my post.

• Advertisement

Its your comments suggesting that Gabbert is better than Tebow which led me down the path I went with my post.

And how does that relate to Manning? I honestly don't care what Denver think of their own QB and Peyton Manning. My comparison to Gabbert has nothing to do with Denver or Manning either. But you trying to relate them maybe for your own agenda and make a Tebow is bad or good argument.

And how does that relate to Manning? I honestly don't care what Denver think of their own QB and Peyton Manning. My comparison to Gabbert has nothing to do with Denver or Manning either. But you trying to relate them maybe for your own agenda and make a Tebow is bad or good argument.
    I'm simply making a point that Tebow would be an upgrade on Gabbert. I think the signing of Henne shows that the Jags have absolutely every interest in pursuing another avenue at QB in the near future. Henne is not going to command big money and can easily be cut. Whether the route they take is through the draft or by trading I can't say but it certainly looks like they are going to make a move at QB one way or another. I'm not saying they will go after Tebow but ruling it out is just crazy.

I'm simply making a point that Tebow would be an upgrade on Gabbert.

And that is your opinion on the issue and you are quite entitled to it but it doesn't make it fact. Both QBs need a lot of work and trading one for the other would be stupid at best. Put a lot of stock in Gabbert to go and dump him for a guy who needs as much work? For a team trying to fix themselves this is a step backwards not a step forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Still no sign of Alex Smith signing on the dotted line, there is a 3 year contract offer on the table apparently but I don't know what the delay is.

for all his faults, SF could be pretty screwed if he signs elsewhere, though I don't think that he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »
    Still no sign of Alex Smith signing on the dotted line, there is a 3 year contract offer on the table apparently but I don't know what the delay is.

for all his faults, SF could be pretty screwed if he signs elsewhere, though I don't think that he will.

I doubt that there are too many teams that would be willing to offer Smith the deal he could get from the 49ers. I would imagine most teams know that and wouldnt be in the market for him.

• Advertisement

Any word on Matt Flynn yet? Who is he going to meet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Any word on Matt Flynn yet? Who is he going to meet etc.

Seahwaks tonight

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2017751462_hawk15.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Nothing apart from the guy who has the final say slobbering all over himself in public at the prospect of Tebow? That's about as direct as you can get. They had more than one pot boiling at the same time if they had any business or sporting sense, the fact they bit on Henne indicates they know something more about the Manning situation than you or me. If they were in the market for a QB, which they obviously were, it makes zero sense that they weren't looking at Tebow being potentially available, even if it was just a directive from the owner.

Slobbering all over himself? Jeez, talk about over-sensationalising things - Khan said he would have drafted Tebow and that he was a good athlete. That's it, hardly "slobbering all over himself". Try to hold back on going all tabloid on us here Syferus.

As for Khan having the final say, he might do, but he specifically signed off an contract extension for Gene Smith that specifically gave him control over all personnel decisions. Smith has shown no endearment to Tebow - it's a link you lot have drawn purely on the basis of "Well hey, Jacksonville needs a QB and Tebow is from Jacksonville. 2 + 2 does indeed equal 5!". There is nothing to back up those claims. Why do you think all the journalists and writers are in agreement that the Jags have shown no interest in trading for Tebow, regardless of what happened with Manning? Do you know something they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

adrian522 wrote: »

it's grand, Harbaugh will suit up if Smith leaves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The owner of a team with a young QB said he'd have drafted another young QB - you don't risk effecting the QB you've got by being that direct unless there's a reason.

And beat journalists are routinely are completely out of the loop - just look at the Brandon Marshall situation, they only were able to start cooking up theories after he'd been traded.

And that is your opinion on the issue and you are quite entitled to it but it doesn't make it fact. Both QBs need a lot of work and trading one for the other would be stupid at best. Put a lot of stock in Gabbert to go and dump him for a guy who needs as much work? For a team trying to fix themselves this is a step backwards not a step forward.

On everything we have seen Tebow would be a massive upgrade over Gabbert (as is Henne for that matter). Gabbert's issue's aren't technique related. It's the much bigger issue that he appears cowardly on the field. All the signs were there when Luke McCown beat him out in training camp last season.

Tebow's mechanics can be fixed through practise, i'm not so sure what you can do with Gabbert short of sending him in place of the Lion to the wizard of oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭nerd69

On everything we have seen Tebow would be a massive upgrade over Gabbert (as is Henne for that matter). Gabbert's issue's aren't technique related. It's the much bigger issue that he appears cowardly on the field. All the signs were there when Luke McCown beat him out in training camp last season.

Tebow's mechanics can be fixed through practise, i'm not so sure what you can do with Gabbert short of sending him in place of the Lion to the wizard of oz.

i think tebows mechanics are going to take a lot longer to fix than you think the been trying to fix his wind up when he throws since before he got drafted and its still not right jason cambell could be worth a look for ye

nerd69 wrote: »
    i think tebows mechanics are going to take a lot longer to fix than you think the been trying to fix his wind up when he throws since before he got drafted and its still not right jason cambell could be worth a look for ye

I'm a Giants fan (boring off season!!!) :D

Campbell signed as back up for the Bears already. Oh i dont think its easy to solve Tebows issues (or fully necessary for that matter), just that they are alot more fixable than the apparent problems with Gabbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tebow problems aren't all mechanics either though. He can't go through progressions and he's very poor at moving in the pocket while looking down the field. The only difference in Tebow is a much better rusher so he can can tuck the ball and escape while his physical size allows him to shrug off a arm grab more often.

I'm a Giants fan (boring off season!!!) :D

feckin giants stealing our thunder so mutch for the dream team :)

• Advertisement

Tebow problems aren't all mechanics either though. He can't go through progressions and he's very poor at moving in the pocket while looking down the field. The only difference in Tebow is a much better rusher so he can can tuck the ball and escape while his physical size allows him to shrug off a arm grab more often.

i agree with this and with mdj as there only threat teams are run blitzing them as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Totally agree, Gabbert needs to be completely reset or he's absolutely no use as a starter or back-up. I'd be surprised if Henne doesnt start week one for the Jags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

David Garrard linked with the Lions. I'd completely forgotten about him tbh!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

boy did the jags mess up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If he is still around when Manning makes his choice (and its not Denver) then I wouldn't be surprised to see EXF make a move.

Mario Williams signs with Buffalo, up to $100 million over 6 years and wait for it, $50 million guaranteed. Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Press conference in Buffalo in 30mins expected to announce the signing of Super Mario to the Bills! Absolutely delighted :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just saw this from Aaron Rodgers twitter ! :D Showing off his sense of humor !
    We Sign a FA every other year, n never in leap years @Scottmaas11 @AaronRodgers12 Why didn't we take a look at him to help out Clay? RT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Mario Williams signs with Buffalo. Now that's a big surprise. Moving from a team that most would agree seem to be rising and will be in contention for the AFC next year, to the underachieving Bills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Mario Williams signs with Buffalo, up to $100 million over 6 years and wait for it, $50 million guaranteed. Unbelievable!

from what I've read of him though, it not another Albert Haynesworth situation. He's supposed to be a great team mate and have good charactor. I just would've liked to see him go to a stellar team.

Advertisement