Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux/Fakro/okpol roof windows

• 07-04-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Anybody have any feedback on the three company's are velux miles ahead in terms of quality? Anybody get any good deals on roof windows lately i need 11 of them and the price is scaring me!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

They all seen to be the same pretty much, Keylite, fakro etc. some of the velux windows arent produced by the others (cabrio, terrace system) as they were patented by velux but otherwise even the sizes are pretty similar

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

11 roof lights,
    seeing as you have that many, i'd be going for the best u-value i can, roof lights lose alot of heat

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

They all seem to have the same u values too, at 1.1 window and frame. I have prices for velux at €4,840. I would like one of there cabrio windows but they are €3k a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    Best U-value is 1.3 and that costs extra on top of standard velux. Did your quote include advanced glazing option?
    What size are you installing. Most Hardware stores should knock at least 20 - 25% off brochure prices.

Jollyman wrote: »
    They all seem to have the same u values too, at 1.1 window and frame. I have prices for velux at €4,840. I would like one of there cabrio windows but they are €3k a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i had the same issue between Fakro & Velux, Fakro had a slightly better
    U-Value and were very marginally cheaper, CAPCO import windows as well can't remember the name, but these were much cheaper and might be worth a look and phone call....

in the end i went for the recognised, tried and trusted Velux as it was easier to get blinds for the windows (believe me the amount of light these things let in you'll need the blinds at times)

and i agree with pete you'll get a good discount!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

I'm not a sales man for velux but if you have the option put in the cabrio, if you take a shortcut (like I did) and put in a top hung on top and standard below you get a big lump of wood or plaster right at eye level when your sitting down. Velux are the only ones AFAIK that do the cabrio system which is why it is so expensive. bulk will count for something so order all at once and make sure that you get the right flashings preferably before the roof goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

If you're judging by price alone, consider price and availability of blinds before you buy the windows. I've seen people going for the cheapest roof windows to find that they were buying the ones with the dearest blinds, or worse still no blinds available

Thanks for the help guys decided to go with the velux windows.

Capco import the opkol window much cheaper but they dont look great at all, they are about 35% cheaper than a velux; and fakro are 10to12% cheaper than velux from my investigations.

jollyman

those figures were about the same when i purchased,

i'd ring around though before purchasing i made a fair saving when compared to list price

Order placed 8 windows €4,290 saving of 15% compared to list price as good as i could get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    I can pm you details of a contact who shud give you more of a discount if you want to check it out.
    Jollyman wrote: »
    Order placed 8 windows €4,290 saving of 15% compared to list price as good as i could get!

Please do

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭lanod2407

While on the velux topic - can anyone recommend use of motorised open/close system for velux windows and the rain sensor?

I've installed a velux into the hip-end of a high roof to light up a corridor, and want to be able to open it, especially in Summer months, but am fearful of "local weather conditions" leaving me rather wet when I forget to close it!!!!

I've two of them over the upstairs hall (connected via X10),
    (everything else manual) works fine but i have heard since over time the "chain" can become loose and the closing effectiveness can be reduced

i have them installed now for about a year and no probs yet, but saying that
    i've only opened them a couple of times since
    (birds flying in to the gaff) :rolleyes: and i don't know if they are worth the extra money!!:rolleyes: might be a better investment to invest in a long pole:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭cwboy

Anyone know anything about Keylite windows? They were specified by a timber frame company in their quotation instead of Velux

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

I went with Keylite windows in our new build. We had 10 roof windows in our new build including 2 combined roof/wall windows. They were about 40-50% of the Velux price for the same window. U values are the same, quality appears to be fine - they have been in for 6 months now with no problems. I dealt directly with Keylite in Tyrone and they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I would highly reccommend the Keylite windows above Velux. I spoke to them at length about the difference between them and Velux and without going into it in detail they seem to be a company that are causing Velux a lot of trouble because they are also selling a quality window.
    They have the majority of the Northern Ireland market now as well (where I work) and it must be the only place in the world where Velux are outsold by another company.
    If you ask me it is good to see a local company producing a quality product that can compete with the world leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

I've just installed a small Fakro. It was two-thirds the cost of a Velux. Looks exactly the same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Fakro come with hardened glass as standard Vlux an extra check it out I have fitted Vlux and Fakro for years and never had a call back for Fakro but in the past 15 years changed maybe 6 or 7 glass panels every year in Vlux they lose the air lock its well known

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeary

edit: banned

syd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeary

edit: banned

syd

Advertisement