Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

• 23-07-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just returned from holiday in Scotland and was amazed how good RTE Radio 1 signal on 252 LW was even at foot of a mountain in the Scottish borders. Struggled to pick up Radio Ulster MW in parts of Scotland that were not low down but 252 was clear as a bell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Yeah, 252 comes in loud and clear in London too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

atlantic 252 used to be THE station, before spin, and whatever, took over...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I can pick up 252 in my truck in Holland and Belgium, overhead high voltage power lines play havoc with it that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I can pick up 252 in my truck in Holland and Belgium, overhead high voltage power lines play havoc with it that far away.

I listen in my truck here in Belgium on my breaks, it comes in well.

Just wish a certain station in Algeria would cease, but I suppose they were there first. Maybe RTE might move up one channel.

I just hope they don't turn it off like the Tory's turned off 648khz.:confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

what type of stereos have ye got? I havent seen LW frequency in a radio in years

• Advertisement

dell1211 wrote: »
    what type of stereos have ye got? I havent seen LW frequency in a radio in years
    Most car stereos have it.

Greenman wrote: »
    I listen in my truck here in Belgium on my breaks, it comes in well.

Just wish a certain station in Algeria would cease, but I suppose they were there first. Maybe RTE might move up one channel.

I just hope they don't turn it off like the Tory's turned off 648khz.:confused::mad:
    Yeah I notice reception is way better when parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Some car radios have LW turned off in the menu when you get them. This was the case with the radio I had when I bought my car recently. It wasn't until I read the car radio booklet that I realised I could pick up LW. You can even disable MW in the menu if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

252lw is can be received in most of the UK,apart from at dark when in the south it gets overpowered by French stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Roberts radios and systems all have LW frequencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

managed to pick it up one time in lithuania on 252 a few years ago. quality wasnt great but could hear what was being said but any time weve been back since havent been able to get it

A whole chunk of the diaspora will be cut off when they go digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I disagree, net is so cheap and available worldwide now (with some exceptions of course) that inferior technology like am/mw/lw is no longer needed and you can't expect broadcasters to put money into it to benefit a tiny few, people can just listen on computers, phones etc now, I listen to NPR and Radio4 on my wifi radio or if I'm out on my phone in quality far superior to am etc.

I disagree, net is so cheap and available worldwide now (with some exceptions of course) that inferior technology like am/mw/lw is no longer needed and you can't expect broadcasters to put money into it to benefit a tiny few, people can just listen on computers, phones etc now, I listen to NPR and Radio4 on my wifi radio or if I'm out on my phone in quality far superior to am etc.

How tiny is this number? On what do you base your assertion? Not that cheap if you don't already have the gear is it?

How tiny is this number? On what do you base your assertion? Not that cheap if you don't already have the gear is it?

I'm just giving my 2 cents boss, vast majority of people have computers and smart phones, there's parallels with the analogue tv signal being cut off soon as everything is going over to digital if the remaining few dont upgrade no more tv for them, anyways don't shoot the messenger its the way of the world, just like when tv went over from B&W to Colour, you snooze you loose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

tv went over from B&W to Colour, you snooze you loose. :)

Colour was added to the existing B&W TV system, it wasn't one system replaced by another.
    People with existing B&W TVs did not have to buy a convertor (or a new TV) after colour was introduced, their sets continued to work as before.

Antenna wrote: »
    Colour was added to the existing B&W TV system, it wasn't one system replaced by another.
    People with existing B&W TVs did not have to buy a convertor (or a new TV) after colour was introduced, their sets continued to work as before.

Thats true, but the rest of what I said stands especially digital change over and outdated technology doesn't hang around forever its just the way it is, I personnaly couldnt care less if am/lw hung around for ever but I'm not running a large broadcasting network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That was only the case if the sets were already 625 line. Anyone (lots) that had 405-line sets had to buy new ones when the 405 transmitters were switched off.

However there were many years of crossover, depending on where you were.

The switchover to digital TV here is a rush job because everyone procrastinated for so long.

And its analogue TV that's being phased out, not radio.

A.

I'm just giving my 2 cents boss, vast majority of people have computers and smart phones, there's parallels with the analogue tv signal being cut off soon as everything is going over to digital if the remaining few dont upgrade no more tv for them, anyways don't shoot the messenger its the way of the world, just like when tv went over from B&W to Colour, you snooze you loose. :)

Like the great dab radio success. Anybody care to list formats and new technology that has failed and people have reverted to a more simple useable technology. Desktops to Laptops,laptops to ipads to phones. New doesn't always mean better. Just saying that's all. What is the analysis of AM in the UK market. AM gets the distance that FM won't. Are you cutting yourself off from a Market? If so then surely it's RTE that snoozes and loses as the Government found out in the household charge debacle assuming that all the elderly could pay online.

• Advertisement

Mmm..... Doesn't answer the question though does it? In the answer from the "White Rabbitte" he refers to "longwave content". That is not the same thing as longwave propagation..........anyway ad infinitum...I do not regard this as a technology competition,more a case of disenfranchising a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rikki2

I am picking up interference on LW and MW on all my radios in my apartment. I wonder if it is something to do with the launch of saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

rikki2 wrote: »
    I am picking up interference on LW and MW on all my radios in my apartment. I wonder if it is something to do with the launch of saorview?

The Saorview transmissions itself (all above 470MHz) will not of course have any affect, however the switch-mode powersupplies with Set-Top Boxes for Saorview can certainly interfere with LW on radios in close proximity. There are countless other things that could interfere. Try plugging things out (not just put in standby) one by one and see if you can find anything causing the interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I couldnt see another thread for this, so just posting it here:
    TÉ Radio 1’s Longwave 252 service (LW252) will close down on 27 October 2014.
    The vast majority (98%) of Radio 1 listeners are not affected and no change is necessary.
    However, you will need to retune your radio if you listen to RTÉ Radio 1 on LW252.

Why is the service closing?
    • The audience for the LW252 service is very small
    • The vast majority of the RTÉ Radio 1 audience listens to the superior sound of FM
    • Longwave broadcasting is out of date, has poor audio quality and provides unreliable reception
    • LW is inconsistent with environmental best practice and represents poor value for money
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/static/2014/0821/638554-stay-tuned/
    also,
    http://static.rasset.ie/documents/radio1/rte-radio-1-staytuned.pdf

Its sad to see it go as it was a useful service for those outside of Ireland in Britain and even the near parts of the continent.
    Obviously if youre at home then you'd be better off listen online, but in the car even LW is better than mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

All those Roberts Radios purchased specially for nothing!

Welsh Megaman is sad now.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Didn't they recently spend a fortune installing a brand new transmitter and audio processing chain into Clarkstown? And now closing it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just for reference, the LW service cost €1,113,019 back in 2006 to give an idea of how expensive the service is to provide.
    http://www.rte.ie/documents/about/rtenlwebsitetariffschedule290806.pdf

I'm annoyed its going, but considering its high cost and that its mainly benefiting non licence payers who have other options for listening at home its hard to justify keeping going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Just heard this on Radio 1 now. I thought the whole point of re-introducing Radio 1 to LW was to benefit those living on the Aran Islands etc. Where there might not be reliable FM or internet. Guessing all that has changed now.

I was amazed last year staying in a guesthouse in the Netherlands, that tuning to old Philips radio in the bathroom to LW252 picked up a very clear Radio 1.

Will the frequency go unused now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pajor wrote: »
    Just heard this on Radio 1 now. I thought the whole point of re-introducing Radio 1 to LW was to benefit those living on the Aran Islands etc. Where there might not be reliable FM or internet. Guessing all that has changed now.

I was amazed last year staying in a guesthouse in the Netherlands, that tuning to old Philips radio in the bathroom to LW252 picked up a very clear Radio 1.

The Aran Islands have perfect FM. It was pretty much entirely for the expat market and to allow occasional opt-outs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pajor wrote: »

Bad example, the Aran Islands has good coverage of Radio 1 from Casla on 88.4 :)

A lot of places in south Munster/south Ireland would have been a good example, unfortunately for most of the time that 252 was on air it suffered heavy interference from the Algerian service on 252.

The Algerian service was off air earlier this year, not sure if it's still off, so now 252 will be quiet on the south coast when not too long ago there was 2 services audible on 252 at the same time

Advertisement