Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft to be discussed on Newstalk 106-108 on Wed 10pm-12midnight -- EMAIL THEM!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The whole discussion was a farce. Positive media attention to correct it has now become a neccessity. Be it radio, tv, papers or internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

It's actually a line from the film Dodgeball, pretty much sums up the attitude though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah it's shocking that those clowns on the panel are forming such strong opinions WITHOUT HAVING EVEN SEEN THE GUNS!!! I think Deco represented our point of view reasonably well, so I was happy with that.

I think we can all agree that the guns shouldn't be sold openly and without regulation, and I think that that's the major concern that parents etc have (although some are just closed-minded to the notion of such a sport existing at all). That should probably be a key area for us to concentrate on once we get this up and running properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With all this Doom playing combined with Airsoft, I must be one twisted individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I invited him to a meet anyway and he said he'd look into it so heres hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveMcG wrote:
    Yeah it's shocking that those clowns on the panel are forming such strong opinions WITHOUT HAVING EVEN SEEN THE GUNS!!! I think Deco represented our point of view reasonably well, so I was happy with that.

I think we can all agree that the guns shouldn't be sold openly and without regulation, and I think that that's the major concern that parents etc have (although some are just closed-minded to the notion of such a sport existing at all). That should probably be a key area for us to concentrate on once we get this up and running properly.

It just comes down to the usual "protect the children" argument. Look what happened in the 80's with VHS films and "video nasties".

You'll always have idiots who don't know what they're talking about but are convinced they know best.

This notion of keeping such things away from children is why I wanted to see some sort of age limit involved. I wouldn't want some media monkey twisting it to look like we were training the youth to be terrorists or some other such idiocy.

o1s1n wrote:
    With all this Doom playing combined with Airsoft, I must be one twisted individual.

I just hope nobdy makes an Airsoft chainsaw or knuckle duster :D

If a combination of airsoft and doom drives you twisted then I'm beyond saving at this point. Between all the hours I put up on rainbow 6 and my obvious lack of morals, it seems as though I'm gonna become some kind of monster.

These people need a reality check

Well if games are the cause then I've had it. Company of Heroes, Call of Duty 2, Armoured Assault, I play those regularly :eek:

i'm up at 6 so im gonna say goodnite. i'll be on tomorrow some time when i'm less pissed off. with any luck deco will email me back about coming to a game.

Will sombody go onto ASI and get the phone number for one of the predator lads (michael/donal) and pm it to me so i can book some rentals for sunday. i cant get onto the site for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That item was so retarded I shot the radio with my Beretta.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

i'm up at 6 so im gonna say goodnite. i'll be on tomorrow some time when i'm less pissed off. with any luck deco will email me back about coming to a game.

Will sombody go onto ASI and get the phone number for one of the predator lads (michael/donal) and pm it to me so i can book some rentals for sunday. i cant get onto the site for some reason.
    `

Site seems to be dowb at the moment. I cant get on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hee hee, he closed with my comment about the 4 year old getting the mobile registered. Ridiculus!

As for airsoft, I wish he read out more of our emails and texts at the end.
    :(

Bandwith problem by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

how many times did they say "i haven't actually seen these guns"... lol

a very biased opinion there, but to be fair to them they were mainly talking about kids getting their hands on what sound like cheap springers, how many kids would be able to afford a 2-300 euro aeg?

the comment made about "they're completely illegal" was in relation to fireworks i think, again, why fireworks even came up in this is just ridiculous and is someone who is completely uninformed trying to scaremonger by making comparison's between fireworks which have caused many a child to end up in hospital and "bb" guns

davemcg: thanks for recording it, tried to setup my pc to rip the internet stream while i was out, but the stream kept dying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

kdouglas wrote:
    CrazyRabbit: care to post a copy of what you sent?

Didn't keep a copy. I was in a hurry and forgot. I just mentioned that it is a sport that is open to everyone regardless of age, race, sex, social background, weight or fitness. Mentioned the whole cross-border friendship building part as well. Pointed out a few of the misconceptions about airsoft.

etc.

Hardly a stunning piece of writing, but I think I got some good points across.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

About the good publicity, i thought it'd be a good idea to try and get the Carlow Nationalist to retract the story or correct the mistakes. If they did it'd be a kick in the teeth for anyone against airsoft or bb guns in general.
    i drafted an email but i figured i'd show it to you lot before i sent it any thoughts?

Dear Mr Coffey

My name is . I am writing to you with regard to the article titled
    "Potentially lethal weapons openly on sale in Carlow " which was published on Wednesday, February 28, 2007.
    I am primarily concerned about the following lines:

Bebe guns or Air Sport guns are illegal in Ireland

“These items are definitely illegal under the firearms and offensive weapons act. You need a licence to have them,” said a garda spokesperson.

The weapons, which are realistic replicas of firearms, can cause horrific or potentially fatal injures if used incorrectly.

The reason for my concern is the legitimacy of these statements. These BB guns assuming they have a muzzle velocity of 1 joule or less have been completely legal to own and transport since August 1st 2006. I understand that in normal circumstances there is no reson to doubt the word of a member of the Gardai, however this is not the first occurance of such a mistake on the part of the Gardai. Specifically an individual who had called the Gardai on a seperate matter was put in handcuffs and taken to the local Garda station for being in posession of a so called replica firearm. Subsequently upon discovering that this BB gun was not illegal he was released along with various apologies and brought home.
    In relation to the potential hazards and dangers to using these BB guns they are no more dangerous than a hurl. Obviously there is the potential to abuse them, like there is the potential to abuse any other sports equipment, and use them for illegitimate reasons. As such I believe they should not be sold unregulated to anyone who just walks into a shop. This is a concern to many people who are involved in the sport of airsoft.

However the point of my email is that these errors in the article only serve to radicalize opinions on a legimate sport and create unnecessary oposition to its existance.
    Obviously you have no good reason to believe me over a member of the Gardai, I only hope that following some closer inspection of the law and the capabilites of the BB guns that a these mistakes are corrected and a retraction on the part of the paper is made as soon as possible.

Yours Sincerly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Im just say this once, and once only. They are Airsoft guns. Not "bb guns" or "pellet guns". Call them what they are as this differenciates them from Airguns, etc. AIRSOFT GUNS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Thats a nice piece of work, you could also question them about thier discission to include the lines about the shop selling bongs, and ask them was this an attempt to suggest that there is a link between buying airsoft toys and smoking dope. If so (more then likely it wasn't but this could add weight to your arguement) then it is a liableous comment and the author and editor of the magazine could find themselves in court being sued for defamation of character.

I think the more lines of the article you can point to as being ill-informed predjudiced or downright offensive the better. That said we would probably generate more bad press by forcing the CN to print a retraction then we would if we just let the article die. I can't imagine anyone reading that rag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Harekin wrote:
    Im just say this once, and once only. They are Airsoft guns. Not "bb guns" or "pellet guns". Call them what they are as this differenciates them from Airguns, etc. AIRSOFT GUNS!!

Calm down man take deep breaths, you and I might call them airsoft guns but plenty of others call them softair guns (google it and see how many hits you get) and while I do agree that they are definitely not pellet guns they can be considered BB guns as they do fire BBs, well psuedo BBs crushable plastic makes for miserable bearings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Hi
    I also sent an email similer to yours Ample, pointing out the inaccuracies of the article and the legality of airsoft, but i agree that the shop should not be selling to children.
    I also metioned that i hoped they would consider a follow up article with corrections, but i somehow doubt it will happen, but you never know,
    I saw keep sending in emails to the paper pointing out their mistakes and ask them to take a proper look at the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Harekin wrote:

I must agree also. It is very important to distinguish between airsoft guns and all others.

Airsoft guns are NOT bbguns, bbguns are typically pistols or rifles that exceed 450fps and fire .177 ball bearings, these are very much illegal without a firearms permit and to compare them to airsoft guns is only going to increase the confusion and incorrectly relate airsoft equipment with illegally held bbguns, which are the real "potentially harmful" weapons.

I never liked the term "pellet gun" either as it usually relates to bbguns like the G1000 and likes that fire .177 bearings.

We've had this discussion before... Airsoft guns fire BBs, so I don't see a problem with calling them BB guns. Air guns and pellet guns are different, though, and require a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mark_Sc

I was trying to get through and just when it started ringing they stopped talking about it! What was they're problem. Small kids have access to knives at home but there few or no accidents involving small kids and knives. They cant blame the guns for this its the responcibility of the gunholder to keep it safe (which they will as small kids have a habbit of damaging expensive things that are hard to get ). + these people diddnt know what they were talking about. This is something we should bring up on the open mike(FM104 from 9:30-1:00am) they love to talk to us about airsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

DaveMcG wrote:
    We've had this discussion before... Airsoft guns fire BBs, so I don't see a problem with calling them BB guns. Air guns and pellet guns are different, though, and require a licence.

True, and I know the discussion, but someone idly searching for "BB guns" on Wikipedia for example will get the article on what Americans call BB guns, which fire metal pellets. I would suggest using it with care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

these are total and utter assholes.i have no experience with airsoft YET! lets keep airsoft and get rid of all children from carlow.

by the way i was told bb means ball bearing so then they cant bb guns and as im posting ill say it again "assholes"

BB is just a common name for spheres of that size. BB's are also in fishing. it does mean ball bearing but its also a size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Thats just them slaying Airsoft my god there so full of S**t obviously dont let young kids get at them. thats so stupid. What are they saying about the games too come on this is soooooo stupid i actually cant listen to it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So its over? what was said, did you get the MP3?

If not maybe we can ask for a copy?

• Advertisement

So its over? what was said, did you get the MP3?

If not maybe we can ask for a copy?
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/96372/FM-2007-02-28-22h39m55s-wav.html

Advertisement