Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

1252627282931»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The licence fee only entitles you to watch broadcasts at an address within the terms of the licence, it does not give any entitlement to services - and if that is to be pushed, then it really only applies to those channels which are licence fee-funded i.e. the BBC, or at a really big push also including commercial broadcasters with PSB obligations e.g. ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 5. By applying that, these channels plus a few more are (or will be after respective DSO's) available from every transmitter and relay station in the UK.

For broadcasters on other commercial multiplexes, they have no required obligations and are not subject to providing coverage beyond what they already have. The planned coverage of all three PSB multiplexes across the UK is nearly 99% while for the three national commercial multiplexes is 90%. The commercial multiplexes are broadcast from 80 sites, compared to 1,150 for the PSB multiplexes. The commercial multiplex owners (SDN & Arqiva) were offered frequencies at up to a further 120 sites after switch-over if they wished, but they declined. They decided it wasn't cost feasible for them to extend their roll out.

As for geography, living in or close to a built up area won't guarantee you access to all six multiplexes - those reliant on reception at Carnmoney Hill or Black Mountain in Belfast rather than Divis will not have reception to the commercial multiplexes. The L/Derry relay serves 37,000 homes yet it'll only carry a 'Freeview Lite' service (though the majority in the city should be able to receive all services if they install aerials for Limavady) - the same goes for Strabane, who will again be 'Freeview Lite' serving 14,000 homes and unlike L/Derry most in the Strabane service area (those on its southern fringes possibly excepted) won't have coverage from a full Freeview transmitter site. It's simply the law of diminishing returns for commercial operators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is there any point mentioning that this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with licence fees, 'Freeview lite' & certainly the plight of those in Scotland who can only receive the aforementioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Is there any point mentioning that this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with licence fees, 'Freeview lite' & certainly the plight of those in Scotland who can only receive the aforementioned?
    Probably not - but addressing it isn't harmful if it doesn't completely derail the thread.

It's a pointless thread at this stage anyway, people just search & get directed to it for the wrong reasons.

Thought all this rubbish was going to be unstickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    It's a pointless thread at this stage anyway, ....
    Thought all this rubbish was going to be unstickied.

I'll second that.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Ok, Im going to ask a very basic question.

Will a digital set top box purchased in NI work down south.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

A very simple answer is no.

A basic box from NI won't receive Saorview, though it will receive Freeview from across the border if you are near enough.

An HD box from NI will receive Saorview but may have certain problems, such as putting channels in the 800's, clock showing GMT all the year round, no reception of DVB text, maybe others not yet discovered.

A Saorview box is less than €50, a Freeview HD box is min £30, around €38, is it worth risking it for the sake of €12?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Thanks for reply,

Basic units are available for less than £20 and the cheapest I have come across here so far are about e60.
    So, if you need two, three or four units and are travelling to NI anyway it would make sense.
    But as they dont work, as I suspected its immaterial.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

winston_1 wrote: »
    A very simple answer is no.

An HD box from NI will receive Saorview but may have certain problems, such as putting channels in the 800's, clock showing GMT all the year round, no reception of DVB text, maybe others not yet discovered.
    Another problem I had with a Technisat Freeview HD box was sound but no picture on some of the Saorview channels. Had to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ballintog

Salesman (Tescos kid) says the Freeview HD tuner in this set will work for RTE. Is this so and what about MHEG5?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ballintog wrote: »
    Salesman (Tescos kid) says the Freeview HD tuner in this set will work for RTE. Is this so and what about MHEG5?

Should work without problem. I've a 2009 Sony, Saorview & MHEG-5 working OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://www.sony.ie/article/id/1237480609206

It seems to be listed as Saorview approved .... ?

Do you think it is a good price?

Do you think it is a good price?

£318? Have you got that right?

Yes £318
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It was sold for around £700 Str. last year ......

.... so yes it seems a bargain to me .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Syracus

Guys,

Thinking of getting LG 42LM615S from Pixmania. For the life of me I can't find out online if it is MPEG4 H.264 compatible. Lots of conflicting info. Don't care about MHEG for text.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Syracus wrote: »
    Guys,

Thinking of getting LG 42LM615S from Pixmania. For the life of me I can't find out online if it is MPEG4 H.264 compatible. Lots of conflicting info. Don't care about MHEG for text.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

don't think its on the list
    Just found this. Features Audio / Video Tuner LCD TV LG 42LM615S
    Format / Standard :
    1080p HD TV : HDMI + HDCP + YUV + 1920x1080 16:9 min. + 1080p HD MPEG4 Tuner +

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sagemcom RT 190-320 Freeview HD recorder in ASDA for £99 at present. Compatible with Saorview as a recorder and won't do teletext....not a major problem in the circumstances.

Read > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055953454 . It was the first Freeview HD unit tested for Freeview/Saorview on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi folks,

I have a Philips 32PFL5604H/12 TV and the Saorview and Freeview were working fine until the switchover this morning and when I retuned this morning I'm not getting any digital channels at all.

Anyone else with this TV having the same issue?

Thanks,
    mcquaim

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a Philips 32PFL5604H/12 TV and the Saorview and Freeview were working fine until the switchover this morning and when I retuned this morning I'm not getting any digital channels at all.

Anyone else with this TV having the same issue?

Thanks,
    mcquaim

Mcquaim - that TV, whilst it's not saorview approved should receive the Saorview stations no problem - what has happened some Customers is that they retune it and the old analogue stations still appear in the station grid as the first numbers and the Digital stations are further down the grid and not immediately visible.

I don't have one of those to hand but I would go into setting (home button then down to settings) do a factory reset, then reinitialise your TV and then reinstall channels - the info is on page 32 of the manual and here is a link to the manual:
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl5604h_12/37pfl5604h_12_dfu_eng.pdf

If you dont see the channels I would hazard a guess that you may have aerial or reception issues - however if you were receiving analogue reception up to this morning it should not be this!

Keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi John,

I tried those exact steps and now picking up the channels, must have needed a factory reset toget it back working!

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,
    mcquaim

Advertisement