Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first sporting memories.

• 04-07-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

First one for me was the World Cup in Mexico '86, although I remember nothing from the event, barr the replays of Maradonas Hand of God against the English, I did at the time know that there was a major event going on, mainly due to getting a money box in the shape of the WC Mascot. The first WC I actually remember watching was Italia '90, the shot out agaisnst Romania in the second round and then the loss to the Italians in the quarters.

I remember the Seoul '88 Olympics, not for any of the events on the field, but for the political discussion that was going on at the time around it. First one I remember watching was Barcelona '92 and that song by Freddie Mecury and the Oprea lass.

Oddly, before England '96, I didn't even know that there was a European football championship, other than reruns of Suttgard '88 on Reeling in the Years, and a song by Christie Moore.

So, over to you, good people of AH, what were yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

breaking my thumb while in goal in Croke Park on a school tour

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Italia '90, don't remember much about it except for the Irish team songs and my uncle giving my brother an Italia '90 football

Remember USA 94 much better, anyone else remember the posters super valu gave away with all the different players on them, and the flip up cards of all the Irish team members that came in packs of kelloggs cereals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Egg and spoon race when I was 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The 1969 European Championships, particularly the 1500m, which saw Clonliffe's Frank Murphy win silver, though I also remember him winning the AAA title a few weeks earlier.

I have a sketchy memory of the '66 WC and the '68 Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Playing soggy biscuit with big Ron and gang at the back of the youth club disco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

One memory i will never forget was Robbie Keanes last minute goal against Germany in the 2002 world cup and the whole school going crazy when it went in.

My first clear sporting memory was Galway wining the All Ireland in 2001. I'm From Mayo so wasn't the happiest memory although i still got too see and lift the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bruce Grobbelaar doing handstands around Wembley after Liverpool won the Milk Cup in 1982. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Being thrown out of the sitting room by my father and grandad during the Ireland-Italy game at Italia 90. I was only 4 at the time so i fully understand their decision :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

1981 FA cup final replay and Ricky Villa's brilliant goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

1971 FA Cup final between Arsenal and Liverpool. Watched it in a rich Uncle's house as he had just gotten a colour TV. First thing I ever watched in colour.

Fell in love with the red shirt of Liverpool and even though we lost I still love the red shirt.

Next memory would be Munich Olympics 1972.

• Advertisement

I'm struggling to remember Italia '90 so I'm pretty sure my first memory is Man Utd winning the FA cup 4-0 in '94. Could have my year wrong though. I was wearing the refresher jersey but we were very poor so it could have been a handmedown from a couple of years before :D

Ray Houghton's goal against Italy in USA '94 would be soon after.

Biggest saddest memory for me was Mark Hughes being sold for 1.5 million, he was worth more than that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Packie Bonner's famous save in Italia 90. I was 10 and fell in love with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Junior rugby match in 78.

Packie Bonner's famous save in Italia 90. I was 10 and fell in love with him.

I think I remember the talk of it more than I actually remember it.

Finally a thread that makes me feel young :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Carruth winning gold in the barcalona olympics in 92. First soccer memory was ireland beating NI 3-0 in 93. First GAA memory was Donegal beating Dublin in AI final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

McGuigan beats Pedroza 1985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Serious answer 1984 FA Cup Final Everton v Watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the Brazil team of the early 70s and George Best - and getting selected for the school under 13 A;s for first time , and not getting to play due to flu or something , feckin Doc, it all went downhill after that

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

My dad throwing me up and down in the air in our living room after Everton won the FA cup final. 1995, I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomkav79

I remember West Tip winning the Grand National, me mam let me pick it for her. I was only seven! I've had a love affair ever since......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Padraig Pearses having a full blown running riot with another team in Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seamus Darby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

u/8 hurling blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

My earliest sporting memory comes from when I was about 6:

I distinctly remember lining up for the 50m race in the parish sports one fine sunny evening, I had been practising like billy-o for this race cos I felt I had it won before I even started, in my mind I was the fastest child in the world,

However,

In the excitement of the build up to the 'big race' my excitement coupled with - I'm guessing a watery dinner - led me to chronically needing to poop, which I defiantly refused to do for fear of missing the race and my one shot at being parish champion,

So the time came and I lined up,

And with about thirty seconds to go I violently shat myself, and I mean with force, so I ran off, out the gate of the football pitch and the whole way home with shit flowing out of my shorts, and sploshing all over the place.

I never did get to run that race, and my dreams were shattered.

Thanks for the reminder OP, I thought I had erased that one.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Liverpool winning the FA Cup in 1986 to complete the double.....my sister was born a few hours after it!

I remember Italia '90 like it was yesterday, especially the '**** Schillaci' T-shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My earliest sporting memory comes from when I was about 6:

I distinctly remember lining up for the 50m race in the parish sports one fine sunny evening, I had been practising like billy-o for this race cos I felt I had it won before I even started, in my mind I was the fastest child in the world,

However,

In the excitement of the build up to the 'big race' my excitement coupled with - I'm guessing a watery dinner - led me to chronically needing to poop, which I defiantly refused to do for fear of missing the race and my one shot at being parish champion,

So the time came and I lined up,

And with about thirty seconds to go I violently shat myself, and I mean with force, so I ran off, out the gate of the football pitch and the whole way home with shit flowing out of my shorts, and sploshing all over the place.

I never did get to run that race, and my dreams were shattered.

Thanks for the reminder OP, I thought I had erased that one.

:(

Now we know where your username came from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I was losing some race or other, so I pretended to fall over and get grass in my eye - so to save face or some sh1t.

The best medal I received that year was 3rd place - there were only 3 of us in that race though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

tomkav79 wrote: »
    I remember West Tip winning the Grand National, me mam let me pick it for her. I was only seven! I've had a love affair ever since......
    With your mother?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

1980 All Ireland Hurling Final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh actually, now that I think of it, I remember "Ooh ahh Paul McGrath, I say Ooh ahh Paul McGrath", and "We're all part of packy's army, We're all off to Italy, and we'll really shake em up, when we win the world cup, coz Ireland is the greatest football team".

Advertisement