Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tesco bigger than Christianity in Ireland ?

• 20-02-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Was watching The Big Question on the BBC (19th Jan), and the whole 'this is a christian country' came up. One of the aurguments was; people had christian values ? and that every town had a church.

Made me think, every major town in Ireland has a Tescos, and many people enjoy the Tesco brands, are registered for clubpoints, also as more people flow through the Tesco doors than church doors, all in all Tesco must be bigger than the catholic church.
    I assume the CCL still has more property.

I know they don't do funerals but nothing would supprise me if they did. I'ld go the 'value package'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think consumerism is bigger than any religion on the face of this planet. (But that's one for conspiracy theories!).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Tomk1 wrote: »
    I know they don't do funerals but nothing would supprise me if they did. I'ld go the 'value package'
    In the UK, Tesco clubcard points can be redeemed against funeral costs with selected undertakers. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

chin_grin wrote: »
    I think consumerism is bigger than any religion on the face of this planet. (But that's one for conspiracy theories!).

At least Tesco sell you something tangible.

They're also much bigger when it comes to paying taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In the UK, Tesco clubcard points can be redeemed against funeral costs with selected undertakers. Seriously.
    how funny would it be to get buried in a blue & white stripy coffin? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Im a cultural Tescon. I prefer Super Value, occasionally shop in Dunnes but i do my christmas shopping in Tesco SO DONT YOU DARE TELL ME (or Audrey Hepburn) that Im not a Tescon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What's CCL?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

vibe666 wrote: »
    how funny would it be to get buried in a blue & white stripy coffin? :D

Excuse you, a subtle grey-silver tone - this is no ordinary coffin, this is a Tesco FINEST coffin...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

LordSutch wrote: »
    What's CCL?
    Catholic Crimefighting League

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

A Tescon sounds like something that we'd have to call the Ghostbusters for, Ghost Buster.

• What do a Catholic Priest and Tesco Chicken Curry have in common?

Get a bad one and it will tear the arse off you!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Catholic Crimefighting League

CCL = Celtic Catholic League?

Climate Change Levy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Peregrinus wrote: »

Do you get buried in one of these:
    tesco-value-coffin.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Was watching The Big Question on the BBC (19th Jan), and the whole 'this is a christian country' came up. One of the aurguments was; people had christian values ? and that every town had a church.

Made me think, every major town in Ireland has a Tescos, and many people enjoy the Tesco brands, are registered for clubpoints, also as more people flow through the Tesco doors than church doors, all in all Tesco must be bigger than the catholic church.

I had this idea last week. I reckon there's a monopoly in the Funeral business. Don't get me wrong, they do a proper service, but from what I've heard, it costs a small fortune. There's no recession for them!

I know a girl who lost both her parents in the same year. The Funeral Directors were chasing her for the remaining few hundred out of a total of 20,000+ euros. (might have been 23,000)

People want a nice, proper service, but the idea of these massive costs at a time like that is pretty scary. Can people even shop around I wonder? They don't have sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

What way would a sale work for an undertakers? 'With prices this good you can't afford to go on living. Die, die die!' or 'Prices to die for.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

tricky D wrote: »
    At least Tesco sell you something tangible.

They're also much bigger when it comes to paying taxes.

I'm not sure about that. I had heard they have some sort of conversation with the taxman along the lines of threatening to withdraw from the Rep.of Ire. unless they got some sort of tax deal. I would like it if this could be refuted or substansiated though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fitz0 wrote: »
    What way would a sale work for an undertakers? 'With prices this good you can't afford to go on living. Die, die die!' or 'Prices to die for.'

buy one get one free
    lol

UP TO 30% OFF!
    WE CAN'T BE BEAT.

Along those lines. Competition. ;)

Also, why don't Argos and Woodies sell coffins? The finest MDF, at a fraction of what the local Funeral Directors charge. I never understood the idea of burying a brand new, expensive, ornate coffin under the ground.

bluewolf wrote: »

buy one get one free
    lol

Even better,
    Have a loyalty card - "Pay for 9 funerals, Get your 10th funeral free"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The churches could re-establish dominance over Tesco by giving you a free tin of beans after every 20 masses attended.

Sarky wrote: »
    The churches could re-establish dominance over Tesco by giving you a free tin of beans after every 20 masses attended.

Some of the churches in Africa give out chocolate willies. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The co-op in the uk do funerals.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Tesco a one big multinational that has done away with local traditions the world over and still will do to this day,cheap and very nasty place but flocks of sheep still follow, thank **** i aint in that flock of sheep!

patwicklow wrote: »
    Tesco a one big multinational that has done away with local traditions the world over and still will do to this day,cheap and very nasty place but flocks of sheep still follow, thank **** i aint in that flock of sheep!
    I just thank **** i aint in the other flock of sheep! :cool:

I wish Tomk1 would come back and tell us what CCL means.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Coil Coir Lightly
    Choir Comissions Ltd
    Can Ciaran Limbo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You eat dem like ICE CREAM. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

some of the churches in africa are giving out willies [and they are not chocolate]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

getz wrote: »
    some of the churches in africa are giving out willies
    ...giving out about willies and what men might do with them.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-30/africa/world_africa_africa-gay-rights_1_gay-rights-british-aid-anti-gay-rhetoric?_s=PM:AFRICA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

robindch wrote: »
    crap i will now have to find another place to go on holiday

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    crap i will now have to find another place to go on holiday
    or just be a little more careful where you put your willy! :pac:

on a more serious note, good for you africa for standing up for what you believe in and not bowing to international pressure. oh, and welcome to the 19th century, i guess we'll see you in a few hundred years. :rolleyes:

reading that article it's hard to believe there are still nations out there (never mind people) who believe all that BS.

Advertisement