Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Anaesthetic in Dental Hospital

• 12-03-2012 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Sorry if this has been asked already,any advice greatly appreciated
    I have been told by the Dental Hospital Dublin that I can have two Wisdom Teeth taken out under General Anaesthetic,I thought I read here that they don't do that there any more,anyone else have it done there? any other advice on this?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think it depends on the preference of the dental surgeon - I had mine out under sedation but maybe they envisage a more complicated extraction with yours?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm sure OS will be along shortly to confirm.
    But these days the preferred option is IV sedation rather than GA.

The are numerous benefits to the IV sedation route over GA.
    There's been a few threads recently OP, if you do a search you'll get a lot of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Hi all
    Sorry if this has been asked already,any advice greatly appreciated
    I have been told by the Dental Hospital Dublin that I can have two Wisdom Teeth taken out under General Anaesthetic,I thought I read here that they don't do that there any more,anyone else have it done there? any other advice on this?

thanks in advance

Are you sure that they said General Anaesthetic?

Two of the maxillofacial surgeons there have access to general anaesthetic facilities (St James's and The Mater) but usually reserve these valuable slots for bigger procedures such as oral cancer, facial trauma and fractures and orthodontic surgery cases.
    Are your wisdom teeth particularly difficult? Do you have any complicating factors such as medical problems, very poor mouth opening etc etc....

Where is this booked for?
    If it is the Dental hospital or St Marys hospital- then it is IV sedation.
    If it is the Mater or St James's then GA is possible but why??

These days, the dental hospital advise IV sedation for nearly all difficult wisdom tooth procedures....

OS

Advertisement