Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

lads, this is the Kerry GAA thread, why is there so much off topic chat about Cork and other counties??

was Declan O Sullivan injured or something when he was taken off with Sheehan?? I hate seeing him play v Cork, he is such a natural talent, great footballer, but from Kerry :D he gets through some amount of unnoticed work. I think Galvin is wanning a bit, wasn't impressed wit him. Would have loved a crack of Kerry in the semi, but in all seriousness, get behind ye're ladies senior team, will sound like madness given today, but there is some team there, if they didn't show Cork too much respect in the first half of the Munster final, they could have put Cork, all Ireland champions in serious trouble. Unfortunately the female footballers are supported way less than the male footballers in Cork, but the Kerry ladies are the dark horses in the ladies championship

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Galvin didnt do a thing yesterday when it mattered the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Time to open the poll at the top.Must say I thought kerry would win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

realies wrote: »
    Time to open the poll at the top.Must say I thought kerry would win it.

Think it should be changed to "Will Kerry beat Kerry"? With the sell by date expired on that one, it would be a 50-50. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

<Doing best Pat Spillane impression>

D'you know, watching Donegal today brought to mind that old Daft Punk song. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Kerry weren't able to compete physically, and it's hard to know where they can go from here. What do you think Joe?

<Joe Brolly voice>

Ah, Kerry weren't at the races at all, they were <insert tortured metaphor here> and Donegal should have won by a million points. Gooch wasn't a factor at all, ever since I saw him go missing in the Under 12 East Kerry final you just knew he couldn't be relied on when it mattered.

<End clip>

In all seriousness, I was proud of this team before yesterday's game, and I'm even prouder of them now. They were very much second best for most of that game, but showed great resilience to come back and push Donegal all the way.

I agree with the posters saying that Kerry have to adapt to the way the game is going, but they adapted to a different style when Tyrone and Armagh came to the fore around 10 years ago, and I'm confident we can adapt and thrive again; it's what we do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Very disappointed with Galvin yesterday. Bar maybe the last 5 minutes when he won a few balls. But he was mostly ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

elguapo wrote: »
    <Doing best Pat Spillane impression>

D'you know, watching Donegal today brought to mind that old Daft Punk song. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Kerry weren't able to compete physically, and it's hard to know where they can go from here. What do you think Joe?

<Joe Brolly voice>

Ah, Kerry weren't at the races at all, they were <insert tortured metaphor here> and Donegal should have won by a million points. Gooch wasn't a factor at all, ever since I saw him go missing in the Under 12 East Kerry final you just knew he couldn't be relied on when it mattered.

<End clip>

In all seriousness, I was proud of this team before yesterday's game, and I'm even prouder of them now. They were very much second best for most of that game, but showed great resilience to come back and push Donegal all the way.

I agree with the posters saying that Kerry have to adapt to the way the game is going, but they adapted to a different style when Tyrone and Armagh came to the fore around 10 years ago, and I'm confident we can adapt and thrive again; it's what we do!

How did we adapt ? we beat Armagh once and lost to Tyrone everytime we met them ....... no sign of adaptation there

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

kerry were **** yesterday

kerry were **** yesterday

A little strong I think under the circumstances i.e injuries,mileage, mistyfying tactical decisions we we,re ok , retained our pride fought hard but ultimately beaten by the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patk72

The kerry players can hold their heads high,they owe us nothing, however who thinks this present management can get kerry back to anything near Dublin,Donegal,Mayo or Cork who are justifibly ahead of us now in the pecking order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We just didnt the breaks yesterday,I thought taking Declan off was surprising,like if he had got the chance that Curtin got at the end it would have been a point for sure Curtin just lacked the composure but that will come to him,Donegals fitness levels have taken the game on to another level,it might not be pretty to watch but you have to give to them,they have a gameplan and they stick too it,they will give Cork a good game of it in the semi,I dont think the Cork team has been tested yet this year and I think Donegal will test them,its a wide open Championship

JFlah wrote: »
    How did we adapt ? we beat Armagh once and lost to Tyrone everytime we met them ....... no sign of adaptation there

Well,we played Armagh only once after 2002,so I'd say they adapted fairly well.Ok,we lost to Tyrone,but between 2004 and 2009,Kerry allied good football with a harder edge than I had previously witnessed.4 All-Irelands and 6 finals in a row is hardly is a sign of a team who weren't capable of changing their style to suit the different kind of challenge in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

lads, this is the Kerry GAA thread, why is there so much off topic chat about Cork and other counties??

Because Kerry are out. Donegal and Cork will be an interesting semi-final. Class v dogged defence. Mayo always play one great game each year, and follow it up with a flop. On that basis, Dublin will win.

Well,we played Armagh only once after 2002,so I'd say they adapted fairly well.Ok,we lost to Tyrone,but between 2004 and 2009,Kerry allied good football with a harder edge than I had previously witnessed.4 All-Irelands and 6 finals in a row is hardly is a sign of a team who weren't capable of changing their style to suit the different kind of challenge in front of them?
    Granted we had great success but I personally think there will always be doubts because we failed to beat Tyrone in the massive games , a number of the All Irelands we won would seriously have to be described as handy .. yes Kerry added a slightly harder edge but now that bar allied to massive physical fitness and power has been raised again and I fear that we are in serious catch up mode now , we need major high performance programs development squads etc to a much greater degree than anything we have at the moment , all the other top counties do along with some of the improving counties , and in the modern era it is essential . I,d love to see pure football ability winning out but sadly those days are gone , I think there is a slight unwillingness in Kerry to accept this and that in itself is frightening for the future.

Granted we had great success but I personally think there will always be doubts because we failed to beat Tyrone in the massive games , a number of the All Irelands we won would seriously have to be described as handy .. yes Kerry added a slightly harder edge but now that bar allied to massive physical fitness and power has been raised again and I fear that we are in serious catch up mode now , we need major high performance programs development squads etc to a much greater degree than anything we have at the moment , all the other top counties do along with some of the improving counties , and in the modern era it is essential . I,d love to see pure football ability winning out but sadly those days are gone , I think there is a slight unwillingness in Kerry to accept this and that in itself is frightening for the future.

This "handy All-Ireland" thing makes me laugh, and it always seems to be Kerry who win them. I wonder if people would be happier if Kerry played like s**t and barely beat Mayo and Cork in those All-Irelands, so we could say we won a few close ones. If you're 10 points a better team, you should beat the opposition by 10 points, winning by less proves nothing.

Kerry probably aren't currently in the top 3 teams in the country, but don't forget that we only lost by 2 yesterday, conceding a fluke goal, losing Eoin Brosnan and Brian Sheehan to injury, with Gooch hobbling on one foot during the second half.

Football is changing, but Kerry can and will change with it and be a top team. It might not happen immediately, but I'm confident it will happen in the next few years.

This "handy All-Ireland" thing makes me laugh, and it always seems to be Kerry who win them. I wonder if people would be happier if Kerry played like s**t and barely beat Mayo and Cork in those All-Irelands, so we could say we won a few close ones. If you're 10 points a better team, you should beat the opposition by 10 points, winning by less proves nothing.

Kerry probably aren't currently in the top 3 teams in the country, but don't forget that we only lost by 2 yesterday, conceding a fluke goal, losing Eoin Brosnan and Brian Sheehan to injury, with Gooch hobbling on one foot during the second half.

Football is changing, but Kerry can and will change with it and be a top team. It might not happen immediately, but I'm confident it will happen in the next few years.

Don,t get me wrong I,d take a 'handy ' AI every year, more satisfying to win a tough one though and more kudos attached to it too , all imo of course. Yes we only lost by 2 yesterday and Donegal had a little luck but realistically Donegal were quite a considerable amount a better team and the worry i,m having is that the gap is only going to grow rather than tighten. Physically I think Kerry will struggle against a good number of teams at the moment and that seems to be such a vital element of the game now makes it a VERY serious issue .

The next Kerry manager and maybe more importantly his backroom team and organisation behind the scenes will be vital like never before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

We were well beaten yesterday.

Couldn't deal with the 14 men behind the ball. Donegal played 3 sweepers for the whole game, and left guys like Donnacha Walsh and James O'Donaghue free.

The three men covered Donaghy, Declan O'Sullivan and Gooch for the match. 3 scoring threats nullified, left guys like Tomás shooting wides from all over the pitch.

We got it wrong tactically, and I'd have to congratualte Jimmy McGuinness on that. Tactically he played Kerry's strengths, and while they were poor attacking themselves, they broke quickly, and scored some great points in bursts.

Declan was poor, Killian Young was poor, Sheehan spent half the game injured, Gooch was injured for the last 15 minutes, Brosnan came off injured, James O'Donaghue seized up on the day, and had a nightmare, we conceded an awful soft goal, we fumbled the ball in our own half 3 times, to give Donegal 3 easy points.

It was (Micheal) Murphys Law, Anything that Could go wrong, Did!

Sometimes its not your day, and it wasn't our day!

As hard as it is to find positives, after a bad day, we have to look on the brightside.

Our Full Back line was great! Enright is a star in the making, was one of the best players on show. Marc as usual had a fine game, and apart from the first few minutes Aiden O'Mahoney had Murphy in his pocket.

Maguire came in almost seamlessly, and could be a Center Back for the future. He certainly has the strength, and isn't slow.

Midfield came and went, but weren't helped by our lethargic half forwards (with the exception of Donnacha Walsh) around the middle.

Forwards had a game to forget, except for Donaghy, who really put in huge effort, especially in the fightback.

Anyway, we have no excuses, can't blame the referee though he didn't do us any favours, he didn't make us kick stupid ball wide. Sideline, can't get much blame either, should have pulled James O'Donaghue after 15 minutes. Young lad, great prospect for the future, but really couldn't deal with the big day, or the wet ball.

Disappointed but not shocked. Better team won on the day. Hope Mayo do it. Know a few of the lads on the Panel, and they play a nice brand of football.

Think Cork had a real look of champions about them. Just hammered Kildare. Look strong everywhere, even carrying Nicholas Murphy for the first half!

Think it could be the last we see of Jack, Eoin, Tomás and Paul. They have a lot of Milage, and should walk away, and let the younger lads start a new system of football in Kerry. Blanket defence is the way to go. You don't win anything playing pretty these days. Maybe Mickey Harte might come down for a year or two and bring us to an All Ireland? :P

Ciarraí Abú! Beidh lá eile againn!

Don,t get me wrong I,d take a 'handy ' AI every year, more satisfying to win a tough one though and more kudos attached to it too , all imo of course. Yes we only lost by 2 yesterday and Donegal had a little luck but realistically Donegal were quite a considerable amount a better team and the worry i,m having is that the gap is only going to grow rather than tighten. Physically I think Kerry will struggle against a good number of teams at the moment and that seems to be such a vital element of the game now makes it a VERY serious issue .

The next Kerry manager and maybe more importantly his backroom team and organisation behind the scenes will be vital like never before.

Agreed on the importance of the next management team. I'm exiled in Galway these days, so I'm not quite as clued in as I used to be, are there any obvious candidates to replace him?

We've just had a 13 year period where we reached 9 All-Ireland finals and won 5 of them. That's a remarkable record, and one which is unlikely to be repeated any time soon. We might "struggle" for a few years, but I'd expect us to still be competitive. There are good coaches in Kerry, I'd be confident they can find some players who can fit the mould for the type of football being played currently, and we won't be too long away from the top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

A little strong I think under the circumstances i.e injuries,mileage, mistyfying tactical decisions we we,re ok , retained our pride fought hard but ultimately beaten by the better team

i don't agree with you , giving away possession , poor shooting , bad decisions by manager on sideline are the reason for defeat. Mileage and injuries shouldn't be used as excuses as there is plenty of talent in kerry for replacements.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't see what the big deal is about the fact that some of these players are past it, not all but some. They have won so much and have been around for so long. I'm not a kerry man, I recognize what these guys have achieved, but time catches up on everyone, just statements like "so and so is finished" is not a decent way of saying that someone has reached the stage when they can retire. There were great players and don't owe anyone anything and their county is proud of them.

I also think that repeated comments like "fantastic natural footballers" etc will hold Kerry back because it implies that they dont have to work as hard, that they are born better and that will see them oer the line.
    It must be so hard to motivate a bunch of players for these matches, with 2 + all irelands it must get harder for teams to keep going with the same gusto. I always like watching M O'Shea playing he has huge drive, but a team with lads in it that came out of retirement can't possibly have the same drive as a county looking for its first success in 20 years.
    It always surprizes me that with people like Spillane they find it hard to admit that Kerry are beaten. Cork were fitter (or bigger), Dublin are always fitter (or last year the best team on the day). They try to paint a picture, imagine how good we could be if we were that fit, there would be no stopping Kerry if our fantastic players trained more. If Kerry played 14 men behind the ball like that nobody wold score against them. I'm not saying that Kerry have not had the most skilful players or the best players, I think they have, however to suggest that my squad will train as hard as your squad if I train them harder is dodgy ground.

I'm sure there are plenty of skillful Donegal players who are not on their panel because they cant' physically, due to personal reasons, economically or simply are not bothered to train as hard as the players on the panel.

Kerry were unlucky to go behind yesterday, every point is like a goal against Donegal (that how it felt for me last year anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 YoungTrouble

teednab-el wrote: »
    What happened?

Things got a bit nasty.One or two crazies actually attacked him for missing that shot at the end.Gardai involved.

Things got a bit nasty.One or two crazies actually attacked him for missing that shot at the end.Gardai involved.
    ??? Source. Not heard this at all. I call bullshít for now.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    ??? Source. Not heard this at all. I call bullshít for now.

Didnt hear anything about this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Jack is set to announce he is to step down as manager today. Who do we want as a replacement? An entire overhaul of selectors? Internal or external candidate for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Radio Kerry announced it

Same As wrote: »
    Jack is set to announce he is to step down as manager today. Who do we want as a replacement? An entire overhaul of selectors? Internal or external candidate for the job?

Source???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Is my word not good enough for you!? :p

https://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/234257961428602881

Its all over twitter - said that he could not think of any good reasons to stay on as manager

• Advertisement

Fair play to him, a brilliant manager, and Im glad he was able to leave on his terms.

I can see where he is coming from, he knows Kerry need a fresh approach, and he feels he isn't the one to lead it.

Inter-County

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship:
    Winner (3): 2004, 2006, 2009
    Runner-up (2): 2005, 2011
    All-Ireland Under 21 Football Championship:
    Winner (1): 1998
    Runner-up (1): 1999
    Munster Senior Football Championship:
    Winner (4): 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011
    Munster Under-21 Football Championship:
    Winner (2): 1998, 1999
    National Football League: