Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal announcement imminent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I am a glass half full kind of person so that is why I stated Limerick is bound to get a jobs announcment but we also have a lot of things going for us

- UL
    - Shannon Airport not far away
    - Ready made warehouses and office space i.e Dell plant

Put all these things together and I think with the IDA working hard on or behalf we can get a decent amount of jobs in the City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

disappointed with this.Seems Noonan and Jan O Sullivan are going to be as useless as Willie O Dea was.

Nothing announced for the Mid West in years. You can have as many regeneration projects as you want but without jobs this region will continue to slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

if limerick to galway train line was linked with shannon we would be in a better attractiion for worldwide companies

undalk covers a lot bigge ground as they will take alot of Dubs as well.

whether we like to admit it or not these jobs where placed with a long term view. it will always be a case of fix the capital before fixing the rest of the country

lets think of it this way. its 1,500 less unempoyed people in the country. eventually these jobs will filter home. just be patient

as for the deal with us knowing about this ages ago it shows how fickle in ridiculous people on here eally are looking for their "links" on info that was need-to-know rather than reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

campo wrote: »
    I am a glass half full kind of person so that is why I stated Limerick is bound to get a jobs announcment but we also have a lot of things going for us

- UL

Put all these things together and I think with the IDA working hard on or behalf we can get a decent amount of jobs in the City

I've contacted the IDA on numerous occasions. Never once replied to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

- UL

I am going to disagree.
    UL- yes fair enough.
    Shannon- Its an airport that flies to no where and is a ghost town now.
    Ready made warehouses and office space is available everywhere in the country.

In my opinion limerick needs to do a lot more to stand out if it wants to attract business here.

Im not knocking the IDA here. They do pull out the stops. I'm based in Plassey and when we moved into this building there was loads of free space. Now we are nearly full with the last space being taken up by a call centre soon.

Ive seen the IDA come in here and come visit us as we provide some infrastructure to these new businesses and they do pull out the stops.

Unfortunately what we have to offer is available every where else now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

- UL

There is the rub. The IDA have an awful record with regards Limerick.

Limerick does indeed have an airport nearby, but it is an airport that is being let waste away (which is a disgrace in my eyes) and it is an airport where there is a very real risk of it losing it's international airport status within a decade, and as such it is something that might encourage businesses to look elsewhere rather than set up near an airport that might lose a lot of it's air travel ability.

Limerick does have a lot of warehouse and empty plants, but a lot of them are not modernised and many do not have the capability of supporting a company that would be looking to do something on a large scale.

Limerick is also very low tech in terms of broadband, and lacks far behind some of the other cities in terms of the cabling etc that is in place.

What is also a huge problem is Limerick has always had too many people in power (be they politicians, city planners, city/county councillors etc) that have no track record at all of bringing in large numbers of jobs and who are much better at playing the parochial card in order to get into the paper rather than doing something that benefits the city.

Limerick is in serious trouble. A lot of people will stick their heads in the sand and just say things will improve or whatever, but the stark reality is that even during the boom Limerick had the highest % of unemployment in the country (Limerick had an 11% unemployment rate back then compared to a 5% national average) and has been a city that never really modernised beyond cosmetic street facelifts.

But we will continue to see our mayor come out and bluster about how the Parkway valley centre is what is killing Limerick desopite Limerick's history of unchecked high unemployment lasting decades with no major attempts to combat it.

Basically Limerick offers pretty much the same as what towns all over the country can offer, and offers less than what most of the other cities can offer.

Kess73 wrote: »

Limerick does indeed have an airport nearby, but it is an airport that is being let waste away (which is a disgrace in my eyes) and it is an airport where there is a very real risk of it losing it's international airport status within a decade, and as such it is something that might encourage businesses to look elsewhere rather than set up near an airport that might lose a lot of it's air travel ability.

Limerick does have a lot of warehouse and empty plants, but a lot of them are not modernised and many do not have the capability of supporting a company that would be looking to do something on a large scale.

Limerick is also very low tech in terms of broadband, and lacks far behind some of the other cities in terms of the cabling etc that is in place.

What is also a huge problem is Limerick has always had too many people in power (be they politicians, city planners, city/county councillors etc) that have no track record at all of bringing in large numbers of jobs and who are much better at playing the parochial card in order to get into the paper rather than doing something that benefits the city.

Limerick is in serious trouble. A lot of people will stick their heads in the sand and just say things will improve or whatever, but the stark reality is that even during the boom Limerick had the highest % of unemployment in the country (Limerick had an 11% unemployment rate back then compared to a 5% national average) and has been a city that never really modernised beyond cosmetic street facelifts.

But we will continue to see our mayor come out and bluster about how the Parkway valley centre is what is killing Limerick desopite Limerick's history of unchecked high unemployment lasting decades with no major attempts to combat it.

Basically Limerick offers pretty much the same as what towns all over the country can offer, and offers less than what most of the other cities can offer.

I would prefer to see you in power, than ANY of those we have elected. That's the sad reality of the situation.

The likes of Noonan/O Dea, look at themselves, and say 'ah I've about 4 pensions and big lump sum to look forward, Limerick is fine'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That's a ridiculous claim by whoever made it. what about the MAN's ?

What about them. The MAN ends in Annacotty...then what?

liammur wrote: »
    I would prefer to see you in power, than ANY of those we have elected. That's the sad reality of the situation.

The likes of Noonan/O Dea, look at themselves, and say 'ah I've about 4 pensions and big lump sum to look forward, Limerick is fine'.

Nah I would do stuff like declaring war on Tipperary and what not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

• Advertisement

I wonder how many of those people are long term unemployed I always felt that Limerick has a large percentage of people who just does not want to work for whatever reason

I wonder how many of those people are long term unemployed I always felt that Limerick has a large percentage of people who just does not want to work for whatever reason

There's no doubt about that. But that suited willie o dea perfectly, promise them a benefit, and bingo, another vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

vkid wrote: »
    disappointed with this.Seems Noonan and Jan O Sullivan are going to be as useless as Willie O Dea was.

Nothing announced for the Mid West in years. You can have as many regeneration projects as you want but without jobs this region will continue to slide.

Both are only in power a year so I'll give them time yet.

I agree the regeneration is a sideshow though, council estates of maybe 6,000 people dominate the agenda for a a city of 100,000.

Hopefully today's announcement will finally get the county councillors and the Clare councillors to see that the entire region needs to work together and central to that has to be a strong city. I have my doubts though.

I agree the regeneration is a sideshow though, council estates of maybe 6,000 people dominate the agenda for a a city of 100,000.

Hopefully today's announcement will finally get the county councillors and the Clare councillors to see that the entire region needs to work together and central to that has to be a strong city. I have my doubts though.

Excellent post.

Galls me all this noise about regeneration. Never a thought about middle class.

No doubt there are plenty of long termers who don't ever want to work, but the 11% of the 90's and early 2000's is over 20% now so it means that there are a hell of a lot of people who want to work that get to stare at walls now.

The unemployment number for Limerick city and county is something like 23,000 people and growing. That is a shocking nunber when one looks at the population of Limerick in terms of people between 18 and 65. Even if we say that half of that is people that don't want to work, it still leaves 11,500 people scrambing whenever there is some tiny job announcement.

I did a lot of my growing up time in Liverpool and I saw first hand what it was like over there in the 1980's. Blackstuff/Boys From The Blackstuff (a brilliant watch for anyone who has not seen it) was very close to the truth.

Limerick has always reminded me of Liverpool, which is probably why I like Limerick despite it having so many things I dislike. I guess it has a familiar feel in many ways. But I do think that Limerick in 2012 is heading in the same direction that Liverpool was in 1984, and I do think that Limerick city needs a project as ambitious and of a similar scale to the Liverpool One project, and I mean that as much in terms of the commercial/industrial changes that project brought about as the retail and sevices changes. Limerick really does need that kind of massive change. The problem being that massive money would be required for such a thing, or rather to do it right and not have a half baked Opera centre idea.

I really think that Limerick should try and tempt Chinese investors and let them buy heavily into the city. Give them serious leeway and ensure that they get what they need ( legally and above board of course) in a fast efficient manner. I had a good look sometime back at some of what was proposed for Athlone under Chinese investment and I have to say it really caught my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

A year is load of time to be fair...no problem with plenty announcements for Cork and Galway and loads for the East Coast.

No doubt there are plenty of long termers who don't ever want to work, but the 11% of the 90's and early 2000's is over 20% now so it means that there are a hell of a lot of people who want to work that get to stare at walls now.

The unemployment number for Limerick city and county is something like 23,000 people and growing. That is a shocking nunber when one looks at the population of Limerick in terms of people between 18 and 65. Even if we say that half of that is people that don't want to work, it still leaves 11,500 people scrambing whenever there is some tiny job announcement.

I did a lot of my growing up time in Liverpool and I saw first hand what it was like over there in the 1980's. Blackstuff/Boys From The Blackstuff (a brilliant watch for anyone who has not seen it) was very close to the truth.

Limerick has always reminded me of Liverpool, which is probably why I like Limerick despite it having so many things I dislike. I guess it has a familiar feel in many ways. But I do think that Limerick in 2012 is heading in the same direction that Liverpool was in 1984, and I do think that Limerick city needs a project as ambitious and of a similar scale to the Liverpool One project, and I mean that as much in terms of the commercial/industrial changes that project brought about as the retail and sevices changes. Limerick really does need that kind of massive change. The problem being that massive money would be required for such a thing, or rather to do it right and not have a half baked Opera centre idea.

I really think that Limerick should try and tempt Chinese investors and let them buy heavily into the city. Give them serious leeway and ensure that they get what they need ( legally and above board of course) in a fast efficient manner. I had a good look sometime back at some of what was proposed for Athlone under Chinese investment and I have to say it really caught my eye.

I really think you should run in next election very good post Kess

BTW Liverpool also reminds me a lot of Limerick anytime I have been there just had the feeling that I was home

vkid wrote: »
    A year is load of time to be fair...no problem with plenty announcements for Cork and Galway and loads for the East Coast.

Spot on. It's time we stopped kissing our politicians arses. They ARE failing us.

liammur wrote: »
    Excellent post.

Galls me all this noise about regeneration. Never a thought about middle class.

I think the regeneration is needed, but it can't be the only show in town, and it can't be the only story about Limerick. UL, for example, has already done more for Limerick than the regeneration probably will.

But crucially, we need to stop the ****e-hawking around with the city/county boundary, recognise it's a city of 100,000 within a unique region and move on from there. The parochialism of FF/FG has turned the various members against each other when we should be working together.

In a broader scale, that's what's happened across the entire country. If we need to be adversarial it should by Cork and Limerick and Galway v. the Dublin region, not Cork v. Limerick v. Galway v. the Dublin region. The three cities need to work together to counterbalance Dublin, imo.

I agree the regeneration is a sideshow though, council estates of maybe 6,000 people dominate the agenda for a a city of 100,000. Hopefully today's announcement will finally get the county councillors and the Clare councillors to see that the entire region needs to work together and central to that has to be a strong city. I have my doubts though.

I agree with your sentiment but you are way off in your numbers though. Limerick city has the highest % of local authority housing in Ireland. The last set of figures saw the % rise from 41% in 2006 to 44% in 2010. So 44% of all housing within the city limits is local authority housing. Pair that figure with the chronic unemployment % and a long ignored issue becomes obvious.

• Advertisement

I agree with your sentiment but you are way off in your numbers though. Limerick city has the highest % of local authority housing in Ireland. The last set of figures saw the % rise from 41% in 2006 to 44% in 2010. So 44% of all housing within the city limits is local authority housing. Pair that figure with the chronic unemployment % and a long ignored issue becomes obvious.

That's the problem, the numbers are big. But the council buying them houses and then getting in landscapers....i despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Good luck to Dundalk, they've had it tough as anyone with border shopping having devasted their centre, so hopefully it will help them turnaround. Either way it's 1000 jobs for the country + whatever knock-on jobs that will be created.

Just hope it's a catalyst for further FDI into Ireland.

**Maybe Shannon Development may yet get a chance to justify its' existence by actually delivering jobs to this region someday.

europa11 wrote: »
    Good luck to Dundalk, they've had it tough as anyone with border shopping having devasted their centre, so hopefully it will help them turnaround. Either way it's 1000 jobs for the country + whatever knock-on jobs that will be created.

Just hope it's a catalyst for further FDI into Ireland.

**Maybe Shannon Development may yet get a chance to justify its' existence by actually delivering jobs to this region someday.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge them either. There is also another 700 jobs to be announced over the coming days, sadly, not 1 of them is for Limerick.

I think the regeneration is needed, but it can't be the only show in town, and it can't be the only story about Limerick. UL, for example, has already done more for Limerick than the regeneration probably will.

But crucially, we need to stop the ****e-hawking around with the city/county boundary, recognise it's a city of 100,000 within a unique region and move on from there. The parochialism of FF/FG has turned the various members against each other when we should be working together.

In a broader scale, that's what's happened across the entire country. If we need to be adversarial it should by Cork and Limerick and Galway v. the Dublin region, not Cork v. Limerick v. Galway v. the Dublin region. The three cities need to work together to counterbalance Dublin, imo.

The thing is that Galway and Cork don't need Limerick. They have improved at a greater rate than Limerick in most areas, and in the areas where all three cities disimproved those two cities did so to a lesser degree than Limerick. Teaming up with Limerick would hinder those cities more than it would benefit them.

What a few here have touched on, including yourself, is that Limerick is more into fawning over talkers that provide little than those two cities are. Politicians and City authorities tec in those cities come under more pressure from people than their counterparts do in Limerick, and cocking up in those cities can mean losing your job/not getting voted back in, whereas inaction in Limerick only means you get less votes but still enough to keep your place on the gravy train.

Look at the difference in terms of how things like reducing rates etc was tackled in Galway and Cork to how it was tackled in Limerick. Retailers and other businesses in Limerick are still waiting for any kind of significant reduction in rates despite the current financial climate whereas in Cork and Galway reductions have already come in. Same goes for when there is a chance of a big company coming to their cities, and I speak from personal experience on this, the Cork/Galway reps will arrive with knowledge of the company they are meeting, will have exact figures with them, will have exact stats to back up their pitches, will discuss their infrastructure and why it would benefit the company etc. The Limerick counterparts do not come with the same professional approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

What we need are forward thinkers and business people in the council to start with and not ex rugby players, guards and publicans. We have to be creative and innovative. The city has a lot going for it as well as its negatives.

kilburn wrote: »
    What we need are forward thinkers and business people in the council to start with and not ex rugby players, guards and publicans. We have to be creative and innovative. The city has a lot going for it as well as its negatives.

100% agree. I have always said that in terms of location Limerick could do very well and sustain that. But it is the total lack of the right type of people in power that is the real killer of Limerick. And the real shame is the system is set up to keep unqualified and inexperienced people as the main decision makers.

You're talking about the current city boundary, I'm talking about the real one. Total up the populations of Moyross, Southill, the Island Field and Weston and I don't think it's much more than 6,000. It's certainly nowhere near enough to justify the precdence it gets over roughly 90,000 people. Afaik, the 44% figure is also a historical figure, i don't think it's a current one.

The thing is that Galway and Cork don't need Limerick. They have improved at a greater rate than Limerick in most areas, and in the areas where all three cities disimproved those two cities did so to a lesser degree than Limerick. Teaming up with Limerick would hinder those cities more than it would benefit them.

What a few here have touched on, including yourself, is that Limerick is more into fawning over talkers that provide little than those two cities are. Politicians and City authorities tec in those cities come under more pressure from people than their counterparts do in Limerick, and cocking up in those cities can mean losing your job/not getting voted back in, whereas inaction in Limerick only means you get less votes but still enough to keep your place on the gravy train.

Look at the difference in terms of how things like reducing rates etc was tackled in Galway and Cork to how it was tackled in Limerick. Retailers and other businesses in Limerick are still waiting for any kind of significant reduction in rates despite the current financial climate whereas in Cork and Galway reductions have already come in. Same goes for when there is a chance of a big company coming to their cities, and I speak from personal experience on this, the Cork/Galway reps will arrive with knowledge of the company they are meeting, will have exact figures with them, will have exact stats to back up their pitches, will discuss their infrastructure and why it would benefit the company etc. The Limerick counterparts do not come with the same professional approach.

It's more of a general comment about how the cities fight among themselves rather than seeing a bigger picture.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Too many people polling at election time .There should be a Test for maturity intelligence and wisdom in that order because wisdom is not fashionable atm .We get the governments that we do because they are a mirror of ourselves ....unfortunately .

• Advertisement

You're talking about the current city boundary, I'm talking about the real one. Total up the populations of Moyross, Southill, the Island Field and Weston and I don't think it's much more than 6,000. It's certainly nowhere near enough to justify the precdence it gets over roughly 90,000 people. Afaik, the 44% figure is also a historical figure, i don't think it's a current one.

I think that if you did total up the populations of those areas and the areas that are joined onto them that you would get a figure far higher than 6,000. Southill on it's own is listed as having a population of between 3,000 and 4,000.

Moyross has a listed population of between 3,400 and 4,000.

So those two alone come to between 6,000 and 8,000.

Now throw in Weston, The Island field and a few other areas involved and I think you could be at least doubling your original figure.

44% is not a historical figure btw. The official 2006 figure was 41% and the published 2010 figure was 44%.

Advertisement