Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Moths 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Sounds like a Yellow Underwing of some sort - going by size I'd guess Lesser Yellow Underwing.

did a quick google search, could well have been it.

is there much of a variation between the amber/yellow colour?

the guy i saw looked very amber/orange in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

littlebug wrote: »
    I saw a Deaths Head Hawk Moth yesterday... pinned ;) They're HUGE!!!:eek: It would be some shock to find one in the trap. Anyone ever seen a live one?

Not me, but, I believe this is a pic of a live one that turned up on a wall or tree in a new housing estate by the Liffey in Clane Co. Kildare 2 or 3 summers ago...a resident noticed it and phoned it into moths.ie who came along and got some pics...
    http://www.moths.ie/index.php?menu=1973.php&a=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just revisiting some of my records of Wainscots and would like opinions on the pic below. I had it down as Common but looking again at flight seasons and the posts above, I'm wondering if it is Smokey? Trapped regularly between 13th July and 10th August.
    Definitely Smoky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

back to the low numbers in my own garden after some fairly heavy rain yesterday.
    Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing x 3
    Large Yellow Underwing x 2
    Dark Arches x 2
    Bright Line Brown Eye x 1
    Garden Grass Veneer x2
    Mother of Pearl x1

Mother of pearl new to me :)
    Still working on identification of my 300+ island moth catch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

19 species, 93 moths total last night. 16.8 deg C. Getting quite a few very worn and faded individuals that are beyond ID. First Flounced Rustic of the season. I'm now convinced that my GMS site for the trap was badly chosen. I definitely get better catches on non-GMS nights when the trap is closer to the house. Possibly the neighbours security light is drawing moths from further afield. And the blasted Wren is always lurking at the bottom of the garden to feast on the catch:mad:

A friend up in Downpatrick had his large garden trapped by experts last weekend - 8 MV traps, 65 species, 568 moths. Puts my little efforts to shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

In the garden this morning:

-Willow Beauty (8)
    -Common Rustic (3)
    -Riband Wave (2)
    -Lesser Yellow U (5)
    -Lesser BBYU (8)
    -Large Yellow U (10)
    -Least Yellow U (1)
    -Small Fan-footed Wave (1)
    -Udea lutealis (2)
    -Blastobasis adustella (3 or 4)

The Least Yellow Underwing is new for the site and by the looks of it, one of the few records for County Dublin.

Well not my garden, but a nearby riverside to support a heritage week event later today. Was hoping for a hawkmoth or garden tiger. Ah well, at least a few new ones for me.

1350 Beautiful China-mark x 3
    1732 Shaded Broad-bar x 1
    1738 Common Carpet x 1
    1759 Small Phoenix x 1
    2006 Lesser Swallow Prominent x 1
    2107 Large Yellow Underwing x 9
    2321 Dark Arches x 2
    2343x Common Rustic agg. x 3

I was recording the moth below as a Silver Y but it seems very dark and markings slightly different to others I have photographed. Could it be a Beautiful Golden Y with a fused Y marking?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13810

It is Silver Y
    The locally bred Silver Ys, as ones bred n cooler climates are usually darker than ones from say Southern Europe. This may well be an "Irish" Silver Y or one from nearby such as France.

Often see plenty dark ones in late Summer.

Had Peacock Butterfly in trap this morning. Peacock is now most numerous butterfly in my garden, which is saying something, because there have been loads of Large Whites and Small Tortoiseshells

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Friday nights catch.
    Green Pug x 1
    Double-striped Pug x 1
    Garden carpet x1
    Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet x 1
    Flame Shoulder x 12
    Early Thorn x 1
    Dark Arches x 4
    Spectacle x 2
    Dark Spectacle x 1
    Straw Dot x 1
    Burnished Brass x 1
    Campion x 1
    Mother of Pearl x 1
    Bryotropha Domestica x 1
    Rosy Rustic x 1
    Ear Moth agg x 1
    Small Square-spot x 1
    Large Yellow Underwing x 24
    Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x 14
    Lesser Yellow Underwing x 5
    Least Yellow Underwing x 1.

• Advertisement

This morning in the garden:

-Willow Beauty (8)
    -Common Rustic (1)
    -Lesser BBYU (3)
    -Large Yellow Underwing (11)
    -Lesser Yellow Underwing (6)

Also two Crossbills flying north. The Least Yellow Underwing from Sunday morning:

217854.JPG

Straw Underwing? Very pretty! Took me a while though despite such clear markings.

00F97D065CD045169061A6FD189C324E-0000331913-0002975768-00500L-36625D99E8C04D489E2668100477BDAC.jpg

I think this is a Spindle Ermine, but maybe an Apple Ermine?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13813

Straw Underwing? Very pretty! Took me a while though despite such clear markings.
    It is and I think it's a few years since I've seen one
    I think this is a Spindle Ermine, but maybe an Apple Ermine?
    I don't do these.
    I've recorded Spindle and Apple Ermine as larva, but I think trying to ID the adults is futile

And here's a piece of wall :D I nearly missed this one. Striped Twin Spot Carpet?

D9FDBE7E6D8941E792E28D5BA86095A0-0000331913-0002975719-00500L-D71B02D267AF4FFC9B2F42C5437C16FE.jpg

In the garden this morning:

-Willow Beauty (6)
    -Large Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Lesser Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Common Rustic (1)
    -Uncertain/Rustic (2)
    -Flounced Rustic (2)
    -Blastobasis adustella (2)

The Flounced Rust are the first of the year. Two additions for the previous session were Small Fan-footed Wave and Common Footman, the latter being new for the site.

Although not a moth, the highlight last night was a Green Sandpiper heard at around 9pm. An unexpected garden tick!

Tried some other gardens this week but mostly large yellow underwing. Some pics...

I guess Uncertain (rather than Rustic)...what do you think?
    218310.jpg

Grey Dagger caterpillar? (from about 2 weeks ago)
    218309.jpg

What seems to be a latish (Aug 22) Map-winged Swift
    218311.jpg

PS was using nhbs online (impressed with their 3-4 day delivery with standard postage option) but discovered Philips 15W actinic bulbs available from Wesco in Naas about €12.50 in case anyone interested.

I guess Uncertain (rather than Rustic)...what do you think?
    Square-spot Rustic. Quite variable and is around for next couple months sometimes in large numbers.
    Grey Dagger caterpillar? (from about 2 weeks ago)
    Yes
    What seems to be a latish (Aug 22) Map-winged Swift
    That is late and looks quite fresh. This weather - heavy rain (well it is here) is hard on moths aging them quite quick.

PS was using nhbs online (impressed with their 3-4 day delivery with standard postage option) but discovered Philips 15W actinic bulbs available from Wesco in Naas about €12.50 in case anyone interested.
    I haven't bought tubes (the 15W UVA blacklight) this year but they were comfortably under €10 last year. I got a box (I think 24) last year from my local supplier and they were about €6.50 each. They were less then €8 for single bulb.
    Perhaps they up in price this year.

And here's a piece of wall :D I nearly missed this one. Striped Twin Spot Carpet?
    It is

A couple of moths in the trap despite all the rain overnight:

-Willow Beauty (1)
    -Large Yellow Underwing (2)
    -Blastobasis adustella (3)

• Advertisement

quiet last Friday with just a few Large Yellow Underwings and Lesser broad bordered yellow underwings.

Yesterday the pups chewed my egg trays to tiny pieces :pac: better than chewing all the shoes I suppose :o

Anyone want a pup:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Still a few around here. Showers on Friday night.Not as wet as usual.
    Light Brown Apple Moth x 3
    Grass Emerald x 1
    Flame Shoulder x 5
    Dark Arches x 1
    Silver Y x 1
    Peach Blossom x 1
    Gold Spot x 3
    Angle Shades x 1
    Small Wainscot x 1
    Rosy Rustic x 2
    Square-spot Rustic x 1
    Large Yellow Underwing x 8
    Lesser Yellow Underwing x 3
    Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x 3
    Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet x 1

I think this is a Beautiful Plume Amblyptilia acanthadactyla?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13865

And this Dart - is it a White Line Dart or something else?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13866

Mothman wrote: »
    Square-spot Rustic. Quite variable and is around for next couple months sometimes in large numbers.

Thanks for all that.

Aug 26 in a friends garden...nice to see some of the other Underwings...

1708 Single-dotted Wave x 3
    2111 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x 4
    2107 Large Yellow Underwing x 3
    2109 Lesser Yellow Underwing x 3
    2343x Common Rustic agg. x 2
    2321 Dark Arches x 4

A couple of moths in the trap this morning:

-Willow Beauty (1)
    -Large Yellow Underwing (4)
    -Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Flounced Rustic (1)
    -The Phoenix (1)

First site record of The Phoenix. There seem to be relatively few records of this species in Ireland. I wonder if this is due to under-recording or because it a migrant to this country?

218845.JPG

Just 5 large yellow underwing and 2 lesser BBYU. There was a carpet but it flew before I got to it.

Also... 2 of these below. anyone any ideas? second photo is more blurred but shows the length of the antennae. I must get that micro book!

D4CA73A521974E55B7C17FBA053DE5F8-0000331913-0002993425-00500L-EB12C81F1AEE4F7BB95C46CF3E141898.jpg

FED621AF79734876BC6D9264B75937F5-0000331913-0002993426-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Nice pics littlebug. Went through the illustration pages of Sterlin/Parsons/Lewington Field Guide to Micro Moths a few times but it is not jumping out at me :(. The few that seemed similar to me don't seem to occur in Ireland, or at this time, or have distinguising features I can't make out in your pics. Also I have just noticed that not every micro-moth is illustrated...some are covered by text descriptions only. Hopefully someone else can work out...

OK night last night. First Copper Underwing of the season plus some new micros. More trouble with a wren beating me to the trap in the morning!

Thanks for looking jmk:) my first port of call with the micros is the "what's flying now" sections of a few different sites but nothing jumped out at me, then browsed through the thumbnails on ukmoths but anything I was drawn to look closer at was flying in May/ June. I just realised it was still there so brought it in for better pics. I think half the antenna was gone in the first pic too so it wasn't me :pac:
    Body about 10mm, antenna slightly longer.

C75C198A28AE44708A701196BF5D3C06-0000331913-0002993447-00500L-92A433816BC3483583DAE1791C477E10.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for looking jmk:) my first port of call with the micros is the "what's flying now" sections of a few different sites but nothing jumped out at me, then browsed through the thumbnails on ukmoths but anything I was drawn to look closer at was flying in May/ June. I just realised it was still there so brought it in for better pics. I think half the antenna was gone in the first pic too so it wasn't me :pac:
    Body about 10mm, antenna slightly longer.

C75C198A28AE44708A701196BF5D3C06-0000331913-0002993447-00500L-92A433816BC3483583DAE1791C477E10.jpg

Theres nothing jumping off the page that looks like this in the field guide. I'll have another more careful look when I get time. Can you brighten up the image at all to bring out more detail? Mess around with saturation and contrast? It won't look lifelike any more but it may enhance some of the detail. for ID purposes.

Advertisement