Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.T Newbies - 2012/13

• 28-05-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just thought id start up a new thread, for all us newbies starting in DIT this coming term 2012/13

I myself, am starting on a deffered DT211 offer - i am abit older than alot of newbies starting college (20) but i think it will be a fun experience, i have had the benefits of working the last year with HP - so will appreciate the college and its lifestyle better.

Share your thoughts, and say "Hello" - i know alot of you, will be applying and it will all be dependent on your LC results so GoodLuck!!

Ciao,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Oh noes I'm a n00b again?? :P

I'm heading into DT572 in September, was in Maynooth but wasn't for me...I'll be 20 when we start too :P I'm not sure how to feel really, I'm excited to be doing what I want but I have a feeling all my free time will be taken up working to be in college, but hopefully I'll be able to be at least a little social!! I'll be in Mountjoy square :)

Squish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Oh noes I'm a n00b again?? :P

I'm heading into DT572 in September, was in Maynooth but wasn't for me...I'll be 20 when we start too :P I'm not sure how to feel really, I'm excited to be doing what I want but I have a feeling all my free time will be taken up working to be in college, but hopefully I'll be able to be at least a little social!! I'll be in Mountjoy square :)

Squish :D

Ha Ha looks like we both will - i feel a little strange aswell going in at 20, but most of the others are normally in and around our age i suppose, and after working for a year, i know what i want, and i know what its like being full time in the working world, and i know i want to go back to college full time.

so i suppose its a good thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm not a n00b but I was pretty much in the same boat as the two of you when I started this year. Was 20, working 3/4 days a week to pay my fees. It was grand, I barely noticed the age difference between me and anyone else, sure with all those mature students nobody will notice :P

I also still found a way between working/college work/college to find time to go out to class parties and stuff. Where there's a will there's a way!

And of course best of luck to anyone waiting on their results/offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm not a n00b but I was pretty much in the same boat as the two of you when I started this year. Was 20, working 3/4 days a week to pay my fees. It was grand, I barely noticed the age difference between me and anyone else, sure with all those mature students nobody will notice :P

I also still found a way between working/college work/college to find time to go out to class parties and stuff. Where there's a will there's a way!

So there's hope for me yet?? :D I'm just hoping my timetable will allow me to work a little during the week so that I might be able to have a day off at the weekend sometimes :P Does the timetable stay roughly the same every year? If so I might have a looksie at this year's one...

And I'm not worried about the age difference at all, sure half my friends were in my boat before me, and I'm tiny!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »

So there's hope for me yet?? :D I'm just hoping my timetable will allow me to work a little during the week so that I might be able to have a day off at the weekend sometimes :P Does the timetable stay roughly the same every year? If so I might have a looksie at this year's one...

And I'm not worried about the age difference at all, sure half my friends were in my boat before me, and I'm tiny!

Im glad there are others in the same "Boat" as me - it makes me feel a little more confident about going back next year as a "n00b" most of my school friends, are finishing up, well the ones that done 3 year courses, so it makes me feel a little strange, though, i do not regret the route i took, i have experienced alot of stuff others wouldn't get to do at our age and i am all the better for it :D - now i am fully ready to return to college, fresh, and eager to brush up on my tech skills and enjoy the social aspect to it aswell, as there hasn't been much of that at all for me over the past 2/3 years...

as i mentioned before, i work full-time, with HP, so ill be handing in my notice fairly soon - it would be nice to have some summer to enjoy :D - i might return to my previous "part-time" job with the Hotel i used to work with last year, as it would be useful to have abit of extra cash, but the thoughts of returning to a place where i worked for four years, errm i just dont know about that :P - i am hopefull that i get the grant though, so that will hopefully cover the fees etc. and it might just be enough to live off.

RE: The time table, for DT211, any one know where i can take a look at this years one, so i can see what its like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭masoodsarwar

hi all ....

I will be starting in DT 329 this september. Got a conditional offer today and hopefull It will be converted in full offer in August when I will get my result.

And I will be a lot older than most of my classmates as well :)

I think timetables for master remain the same. em not sure abt degree courses though.

And I am expecting to get 3 days atleast to work.

good to see u guys :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

hi all ....

I will be starting in DT 329 this september. Got a conditional offer today and hopefull It will be converted in full offer in August when I will get my result.

And I will be a lot older than most of my classmates as well :)

I think timetables for master remain the same. em not sure abt degree courses though.

And I am expecting to get 3 days atleast to work.

good to see u guys :)

I'm not a newb, but I know that my course timetable (DT365) stayed the same from last year, so id say it will be the same for most courses unless there was a new lecturer or something like that and the times didn't suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Howwwwww do. Im applied for next year, networking stuff :D Am 20 gave computer forensics a go in 2009 but couldn't hack the maths. Did a fetac cert this year just to get back into the swing of things after my little break. Should have enough points so not to worried about the CAO lucky enough

Doylers wrote: »
    Howwwwww do. Im applied for next year, networking stuff :D Am 20 gave computer forensics a go in 2009 but couldn't hack the maths. Did a fetac cert this year just to get back into the swing of things after my little break. Should have enough points so not to worried about the CAO lucky enough

Sweeet!! - so is that DT211, or one of the other courses?

Sweeet!! - so is that DT211, or one of the other courses?
    Its DT080 I believe, down as an engineering course with no maths :Dhttp://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/electroniccomputersystemsdt080/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 carlow93

am looking at the level 6 marketing course for next year....im wondering how hard is it to go into economics and finace etc after 2 years?

carlow93 wrote: »
    am looking at the level 6 marketing course for next year....im wondering how hard is it to go into economics and finace etc after 2 years?
    Greater than 70% (a first class honour) will get you in to year 3 of a couple of different level 8 programmes and between 60 and 70% (a second class honour) will get you into second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carlow93

Greater than 70% (a first class honour) will get you in to year 3 of a couple of different level 8 programmes and between 60 and 70% (a second class honour) will get you into second year.

id imaigne it would be very achievable with a bit of work? also cheers for replying

carlow93 wrote: »

id imaigne it would be very achievable with a bit of work? also cheers for replying
    No prob.

Ah yeah it would be. A couple of guys in my course (dt365 b.sc business and management) came up from a couple of different level 6s.

What course would you like to end up in?

On a different note (From whats being discussed immediately above)

is it easy to make friends, you know, being the awkward first day of term, does everyone make friends easily?

I suppose that's a major factor, as well, making friends, ASAP, is obviously a plus in college :D

is it easy to make friends, you know, being the awkward first day of term, does everyone make friends easily?

I suppose that's a major factor, as well, making friends, ASAP, is obviously a plus in college :D
    Yeah its very easy, I mean everyone who's there has similar interests to you, thats why they picked the same course you did.

And, its important to remember that everyone there is in the same boat you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kflyn

I've applied to DIT for this year but I have noo idea when to expect to hear back! (I'm from up north and don't know the CAO system all that well you see...) I took a gap year, then went to Edinburgh but had to come home and reapply, so I'll be 21 when I go! I hope I get in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

CAO offers come out late August, after the Leaving Cert results. You won't hear directly from DIT until you accept an offer from the CAO.

U might have similar classes as me because other science degrees tend to share common modules in first year then branch off more in the later years. I'll try figure out who you are will keep me entertained first day. Oh an from past experience just talk to everyone seriously I was in a course where people didnt take during the tour and most of the day was pretty funny:D

U might have similar classes as me because other science degrees tend to share common modules in first year then branch off more in the later years. I'll try figure out who you are will keep me entertained first day. Oh an from past experience just talk to everyone seriously I was in a course where people didnt take during the tour and most of the day was pretty funny:D

:D Awesome! - I am generally an outgoing guy, so i get on with anyone really! - I do enjoy having "the craic" aswell so should all be good :D - the only thing i'm worried about, is that i am 20, is that much older, than alot of students entering first year? :cool:

• Advertisement

kflyn wrote: »
    I've applied to DIT for this year but I have noo idea when to expect to hear back! (I'm from up north and don't know the CAO system all that well you see...) I took a gap year, then went to Edinburgh but had to come home and reapply, so I'll be 21 when I go! I hope I get in!!

What course did you choose? - CAO offers, as mentioned, come out in August :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

:D Awesome! - I am generally an outgoing guy, so i get on with anyone really! - I do enjoy having "the craic" aswell so should all be good :D - the only thing i'm worried about, is that i am 20, is that much older, than alot of students entering first year? :cool:
    ah stop worrying about your age! the only ones who should be doing that are the u18s! we had mid 20s people in our first year ya wouldnt have noticed. the year before had a lot of u18s so they ended up having a lot of house parties, eitherway there will be plenty of sessions. 17/18 mark is the only thing that makes a problem. you should just enjoy basically access everywhere unless coppers are really fussy on the night

Haha really selling urself bud. Sure im 20 aswell. I was with a group of lads doing science in maynooth there the other day and they all 19 going on 20 and in first year. I have found that people in computers bond usally fast was the case in my last two courses. You might be lucky in that you have most of your lectures with just your class which is great for everyone as you all get to no each other, nothing worse then them big lecture rooms with over 100+ people and not one talking. Just dont expect many female friends there few and far between in computer courses,(business is where to be ;)) Im prob gonna go up mid - end of July havent seen the Kevin street campus didnt bother going open day and do a little house hunting or something.

Edit: Oh and your age will make u do the work an study. When I was 17 i did no work and took it all for granted. Now a 20 and 3 years later I have a plan to actually try do some work. House partys r a grand n well but dont sacrifice your work. I knew a girl, I struggled to get 3 words outa her she never came out with the class, but she just got a degree and the people who went out alot did. Maturity is a great thing to have going in to college

Haha really selling urself bud. Sure im 20 aswell. I was with a group of lads doing science in maynooth there the other day and they all 19 going on 20 and in first year. I have found that people in computers bond usally fast was the case in my last two courses. You might be lucky in that you have most of your lectures with just your class which is great for everyone as you all get to no each other, nothing worse then them big lecture rooms with over 100+ people and not one talking. Just dont expect many female friends there few and far between in computer courses,(business is where to be ;)) Im prob gonna go up mid - end of July havent seen the Kevin street campus didnt bother going open day and do a little house hunting or something.

I like to make an impression ;)

I will have to have a snoop around the Business Campus then so ;)

Ill be commuting - don't live that far away :)

I like to make an impression ;)

I will have to have a snoop around the Business Campus then so ;)

Ill be commuting - don't live that far away :)

Do do shame there not all on the one big campus :( Ah your lucky there I dont have that luxury.

Do do shame there not all on the one big campus :( Ah your lucky there I dont have that luxury.

aah i didn't notice your location was Waterford - so that would make sense ;)

RE: Your point about maturity - i totally agree - i finished my leaving cert. in 2009 - i didn't get my points for DIT, so i did a PLC for two years - after that, i applied to DIT (DT211) (last year) - it just so happens i got offered a job, with a multinational company (HP) - so, i took the job, ( in IT ) - when the offers came around, i got the place on DIT, i deferred and have been working here the last year - i have learnt alot about myself, life, and everything else that goes along with it.

I will appreciate college alot more now i think - i have ALWAYS wanted to do IT - so this will take me one step closer to my career.

Also, i want to be a lazy college student aswell ;)

aah i didn't notice your location was Waterford - so that would make sense ;)

RE: Your point about maturity - i totally agree - i finished my leaving cert. in 2009 - i didn't get my points for DIT, so i did a PLC for two years - after that, i applied to DIT (DT211) (last year) - it just so happens i got offered a job, with a multinational company (HP) - so, i took the job, ( in IT ) - when the offers came around, i got the place on DIT, i deferred and have been working here the last year - i have learnt alot about myself, life, and everything else that goes along with it.

I will appreciate college alot more now i think - i have ALWAYS wanted to do IT - so this will take me one step closer to my career.

Also, i want to be a lazy college student aswell ;)

You want to do it now but they they make ur do modules that make no sense then weel see :D Ah yeah the colllege is a nice one I always miss it when im in working 9-5 wishing I could be in a lecture playing kerbal space programme :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Tenks

Still waiting to hear back from the Advanced Entry into 2nd year Journalism, was lucky enough to get into Ballyfermot's 1 year Media degree as a backup but holding out on this. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

DIT 411 down! :) Really hoping to get it! Where are people booking accomodation? No idea what to do :(

Advertisement