Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USPGA 2012 - The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island *** MOD Warning Post #16 ***

• 05-08-2012 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

So the last major of the year starts on Thursday (9th Aug). There is a good course overview here. They say that there is no other course in the US that is affected by the wind as much so obviously will suit players who are good in those conditions.

Tiger is the favorite as per usual but considering the form Jim Furyk is in lately, it would be hard to ignore him @ 50-1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

wind should be blowing so players who can play in the wind should be peoples picks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well Keegan bradley is in good shape with his defense next week, he just won bridgestone!!!! great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Can't wait to see Kiawah Island. The 1991 Ryder Cup was just about the time I got into golf as a young lad. Langers missed putt had me in tears :o

I have vague recollections of the bunkers not being played as regular bunkers (sandy waste areas, so you can ground your club). Dustin Johnson take note!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Bradley definitely looking in great shape. Some meltdown by Jim - hope he doesn't carry it with him this week.

Good to see McIlroy showing some form again also. Harrington knows his way around Kiawah Island too.

Good preview video on sky below. Course looks fantastic. Hardest ranked course in the US off the back sticks. Really hope the wind blows so we get a good show.

http://www1.skysports.com/uspga/video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Fans of WGT will know all about this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Hardest ranked course in the US off the back sticks.

7,676 yards off the back,that is long .

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

7,676 yards off the back,that is long .

i think they were saying on sky that they will alternate which holes are off the the very back tees so the course wont play to its full distance any of the days.

Had a look at the website

http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf/the-ocean-course/hole-by-hole-review/

course looks brilliant!

Prob my least favourite major, but really looking forward to it all the same. Would be good to see the PGA move around the world. The other 3 cant be moved really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well I haven't particularly enjoyed any of the majors this year so maybe this one will surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A very challenging course, should make for good viewing over the 4 days.

I'm going for McDowell & Oosthuizen e/w, both solidly good this year and performed well in this seasons majors (missed cut at the US Open for Oosthuizen aside).

Has anyone heard a detailed forecast for the weekend? Accuweather says possible thunderstorms each day but the winds are not due to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Has anyone heard a detailed forecast for the weekend? Accuweather says possible thunderstorms each day but the winds are not due to be high.

This is correct. I listened to the William Hill Golf Betting Podcast last night (fantastic podcast) and they said that it will actually be quite calm compared to normal i.e. 5-15mph winds for the tournament.

I also checked the weather today and it seems to be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Per the charter all betting posts should be in the betting thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was the result of the botched non-poll effort after the british open thread not result in a relaxed approach to putting up odds etc in conjunction with why you think players could go well?

As in im gonna back Mcilroy ew as he looks to be coming back to top gear after his ropey start last week..and obviously added to the fact that he hits the ball a mile means he has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Was the result of the botched non-poll effort after the british open thread not result in a relaxed approach to putting up odds etc in conjunction with why you think players could go well?

The decision, as described in the charter, is that if the sole purpose of your post is about betting then it belongs in the betting thread.
    Your (edited) post is ok, but anything "more" should be in the betting thread.

The "more" seems quite ambiguous but sure anyway....

Just seen Shane Lowry on twitter tipping Rory to win... can't see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Is this on BBC or Sky only?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Really looking forward to the next 4 days.

Played the Ocean Course during a trip to South Carolina 7 or 8 years ago. Without doubt, it is the most difficult course I have ever played. Only got one par all day.

Play gets underway in an hour. 5 hour time difference so at least we won't be up at 3am on Sunday night like the US Open.

Haven't a clue who to pick as a winner, just looking forward to the course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Hate the way there's no shottracker option on the leaderboards for any ofr the majors:mad:

Birdie blitz out there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Great start for Bradley. Birdie, eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Which 9 is supposed to be the tougher? Usually the last 4 holes in these majors are brutal.

Nice 9 holes by Rory -3. Kaymer having another mare, his form coming into Ryder Cup is very worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Nice 9 holes by Rory -3. Kaymer having another mare, his form coming into Ryder Cup is very worrying.

is kaymer place already locked up he a def for ryder america got same situ with mickelson out of form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

wind now getting up so i dont think these low scores will happen in afternoon

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

golfhead wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the next 4 days.

Played the Ocean Course during a trip to South Carolina 7 or 8 years ago. Without doubt, it is the most difficult course I have ever played. Only got one par all day.

Was fortunate enough to play it a few years ago when travelling down the east coast. Didn't fair much better playing off 5. The wind was something else the day I was there. Really hope the players get to experience the course in similar conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Did anyone see that shot Tiger just hit :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Joost Luiten is killing it out there -8 :eek:

Advertisement