Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Presents for my girlfriend

• 07-12-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I’ve been seeing my girlfriend for the last 8 months.
    Some of ye know this from a previous thread of mine but this has nothing to do with that, I’m not going down that road, we talked last night, have patched things up and all is good.

I’m not sure if I should make a big deal on Christmas presents though. I’d like to get something she’d like as well but not sure I I should not overdo it. I think we’d want to be going out longer for that and we have had our ups and downs recently like any couple.

Do the presents we buy say anything about people feel where they could be in a relationship or is just material and not something I should worry about?

I’d hope by her birthday or Valentine’s Day I’d be able to surprise her better.

I don’t want to put a figure on how much I spend but should I keep it small or go all out?
    Would anyone have ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I think its best to ask her what she wants. You mentioned before that she didnt have a job. So maybe there are some things which she could actually do with. I think its good too to maybe have a budget for the 2 of you. Its definitely not good to go over the top with gifts. I spent a mad amount on clothes for my ex last year. He said the jeans were fine and few months later told me they were the wrong size. They cost bout 300 euro (2 pairs). Could have brought them back if he told me, as i dont have much cash myself.

So from my experience, it prob better to ask 1st. Always good if you can make something like a card. Sounds childish, but its the genuine effort that counts. If you dont want to ask. I got Ryanair flights for my parents last year to a europe city they wanted to visit. They loved it and it prob the best present i ever gave them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Moved from PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

Going from the previous poster said about her not having a job, I think you both should agree on a budget.. about 20 - 40 euro..
    Ye both will have to put more thought into it, and at the same time it should be affordable for your GF seen as she has no job.

Another nice idea is to trade promises.. where ye promise to do nice things for each other... again its more about the thought than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭james.xix

jrd wrote: »
    Going from the previous poster said about her not having a job, I think you both should agree on a budget.. about 20 - 40 euro..
    Ye both will have to put more thought into it, and at the same time it should be affordable for your GF seen as she has no job.

Another nice idea is to trade promises.. where ye promise to do nice things for each other... again its more about the thought than anything else

I like your idea of promising to do nice things for each other.
    That'd be a good idea along with buying presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

If you can afford around 50 euro, go for a piece of Newbridge Jewellery. As Jewellery goes it's not expensive, and won't come across all heavy or serious but at the same time it can be looked at as romantic and nice without 'going all out'.- it's quite fashionable and suits all budgets.....either that or a bottle of nice perfume -again can be seen as romantic but doesn't exactly say 'serious'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

definitely talk to her about a budget. I do that with my OH every year just to make it fair. with a lower budget I find creativity comes into it a lot more.
    You can make a calender with all pics of you and her and her friends/family thats only €20. You can make her a CD with all "your" songs, and write the list of the songs you picked out for her and why you think they are special.

I love doing personal things like that :) and she will LOVE it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've done the budget buys with my boyf the past few years; both students at times and/or not working so not flash with the cash!

Making a cd with songs and decorating the cover, getting some snaps from the past 8months and sticking them into a frame, going for dinner (even it is the early bird menu it's still nice!).

Regards jewelry, just make sure she likes the style; no offence to previous posts but sometimes Newbridge can be a bit run of the mill and if she isn't a fan it can be a bit token (in my experience anyway, again no offence intended, sometimes it works a treat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Im seeing a girl a matter of 6 weeks..we've had about 8 dates..what could i get her for xmas and how much shoud i spend?im 28 if that matters..need help on this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I always hate getting together with someone just before xmas as I never know what to get them. For our first christmas together (after much the same length of time) my bf took me out for a nice dinner as my pressy. It was lovely as it meant he could splash out on a date/pressy at the same time. He then got me a cd he knew i wanted and a jokey sexy construction worker calendar (as hes a plumber) so i had something to unswrap on xmas morning. It was simple but sweet and took the pressure off!

Ask her what she wants and if she gives you an answer go with that! and maybe something cheap and fun for an additional surprise.
    In all probablility she wont give you a straight answer so just listen out for lil things that she mentions in conversation. Its all bout thought at the stage, and I wouldnt go too crazy on money splashing gifts. Get her something small and take her out one night, thats my advice.

Thanks for that Azureus...i have asked already and was told a bag or jewellery...My knowledge of both is pretty limited to be honest...Somehow dont think the night out would be a runner even tho i thinks its a good idea..I'll just have to go jewellery shopping i guess .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

hitman79 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Azureus...i have asked already and was told a bag or jewellery...My knowledge of both is pretty limited to be honest...Somehow dont think the night out would be a runner even tho i thinks its a good idea..I'll just have to go jewellery shopping i guess .

after only a few weeks?! holy moly.. perhaps you guys should set a limit...:p

myself and my boyfriend have set a limit of 20e this year because we are going away right before christmas and as we are living together and stuff it seems a bit mad to spend huge money on things!

Its hard to say to someone you've had about 8 dates with to set a limit without coming across as a scrooge which im not by the way!Im thinking 100-150 is plenty to spend myself considering i dont spend anything like that on family members who i've known all my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

definitely talk to her about a budget. I do that with my OH every year just to make it fair. with a lower budget I find creativity comes into it a lot more.
    You can make a calender with all pics of you and her and her friends/family thats only €20. You can make her a CD with all "your" songs, and write the list of the songs you picked out for her and why you think they are special.

I love doing personal things like that :) and she will LOVE it

just wondering where can you get the calender or pictures done up for €20, its too late to be ordering on line for it, to be delivered for xmas...think its a great idea though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

www.photobox.ie

Don't know how much but I'm always getting emails about special offers on their calenders and photobooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

E26 wrote: »
    just wondering where can you get the calender or pictures done up for €20, its too late to be ordering on line for it, to be delivered for xmas...think its a great idea though

http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/ i got one from here.

i know friends who get it done in the local supermarket/photo shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

E26 wrote: »

They have calendars in Boots where you slot in a photo if that helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Photobox is great for putting together nice stuff with photos like photobooks, collagues, canvas etc.

You will pick up decent quality jewelry that's not pricey. Just make sure you pick out the right type as some girls don't wear it or wear the surfy style ones. White Gold is impressive, more so then silver imo but silver is extra cheap if cash strapped. Items such as watches, bracelets, rings, neckalase are good. Ernest Jones has good stuff. Whats very nice are charm bracelets, I can't think of the particular brand that's good but hard to locate. Ill find out and update.

Other items include concert tickets, stuff from the me to you range (expensive but well worth it) like a teddy, voucher for a store she always shops in, dinner in a nice restaurant, books if she reads, money towards an item of interest such as guitar or whatever.

Ill put my thinking cap on for whats good for fellas and post back later.

Hope this all helps!

Advertisement