Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elementary [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do BBC America not show the UK Sherlock show?

I loved Johnny Lee Miller in Eli Stone but Sherlock Holmes not based in UK how will that work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The role of Watson has been cast.
    The name is Watson, Joan Watson. Lucy Liu is set to play Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick in CBS’ drama pilot Elementary, whose tweaks to Arthur Connan Doyle’s classic include switching Watson’s gender to female. The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-to-play-watson-in-cbs-modern-sherlock-holmes-pilot-elementary/

This sounds like it will be woeful. Probably will be reduced to a procedural type show, should not be associated with Sherlock Holmes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The role of Watson has been cast.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-to-play-watson-in-cbs-modern-sherlock-holmes-pilot-elementary/

This sounds like it will be woeful. Probably will be reduced to a procedural type show, should not be associated with Sherlock Holmes.

The descpription sounds brutal....Wonder Woman brutal!

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-sherlock-holmes-elementary/

The descpription sounds brutal....Wonder Woman brutal!

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-sherlock-holmes-elementary/

Terrible casting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was just going to post this. To be honest though, it was exactly what I expected. Maybe not Lucy Liu herself (Who I can't stand) but it was ALWAYS going to be a woman. I mean, if it wasn't then how could they fit in season after season of "will-they-or-won't-they" plotlines? I suppose the only way it could be worse is if it was on that Warner Bros teen station (Can't remember the name at the mo). It'd have Tom Welling at Sherlock and someone from One Tree Hill as Joanie W. complete with teen angsty soundtrack. Oh Sickboy sickboy sickboy. You need to go back onto the skag :)

*edit*: The CW. Remembered it. Phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is sounding worse and worse with every news bite ..... Next it will be the Hound of Brooklyn and Niagarabach Falls. :rolleyes:

Was just going to post this. To be honest though, it was exactly what I expected. Maybe not Lucy Liu herself (Who I can't stand) but it was ALWAYS going to be a woman. I mean, if it wasn't then how could they fit in season after season of "will-they-or-won't-they" plotlines? I suppose the only way it could be worse is if it was on that Warner Bros teen station (Can't remember the name at the mo). It'd have Tom Welling at Sherlock and someone from One Tree Hill as Joanie W. complete with teen angsty soundtrack. Oh Sickboy sickboy sickboy. You need to go back onto the skag :)

*edit*: The CW. Remembered it. Phew

So...it's basically Castle?

Mr E wrote: »
    This is sounding worse and worse with every news bite ..... Next it will be the Hound of Brooklyn and Niagarabach Falls. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see who they cast as Moriarity....maybe a super gay Irish guy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Probably Tricia Helfer or someone like that. Wouldn't surprise me with the direction they're taking.

Casting news: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a370047/elementary-cbs-pilot-adds-prime-suspect-star-aidan-quinn.html

Quinn will play Captain Gregson, a New York cop who worked with Sherlock at Scotland Yard following the 9/11 attacks,

^ :eek: - :confused: - :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

aidan quinn, always stretches himself in his parts

Quinn as Watson would have been better imo

This pilot based on buzz seems a lock for a series pickup, expect Castle 2.0:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-09/jonny-lee-miller-defends-us-sherlock-holmes-update-elementary

Series picked up by CBS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh GOD. That looked just about as bad as I feared. I think I got a full line in the cliche bingo: "He's an outcast"... "My character's more emotional" and let's not forget the daddy: "I think we're pushing the envelope". I didn't notice but was "thinking outside the box" in there somewhere? About the only good thing about it is that it's so bad looking (IMHO) that it shouldn't negatively impact BBC's Sherlock as it bears no relation to it.

God.... REALLY bad!

What does Steven Moffat think? --> http://blastr.com/2012/05/now-that-hes-seen-it-what.php

Reading this review confirms my suspicions, it's a straight proceadural with a twist, a tagged on Holmes twist. And i don't buy the "will they won't they' angle....OF COURSE! they will go there, a-la Castle.

It's basically Castle meets The Mentailts meets Lie To Me and sundry other proceadurals, with a twist: http://tvline.com/2012/07/05/fall-tv-preview-elementary-cbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Just after watching it. Now I haven't seen much of the BBC version so I can't compare them, but I rather liked CBS' take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was decent enough. One problem with it is that it doesn't do much to differentiate it from other gimmick detective shows like The Mentalist, Monk, etc.

That and a severe lack of George Michael song and dance numbers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Really liked this.. it's no Sherlock (you'll never beat the combination of Cumberbatch & Freeman, with Moffat's writing) but it ain't bad at all.

I think I can easily watch it without comparing to the BBC version though - it's not a remake anyways and can stand on it's own feet IMO.

Best thing about it was Miller, who is always excellent but definitely brings a nice energy and charisma to the role.

The only downside is Liu is probably one of the most unlikeable actresses out there.. and ain't Aidan Quinn looking old.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    One problem with it is that it doesn't do much to differentiate it from other gimmick detective shows like The Mentalist, Monk, etc.
    Sherlock's attention to detail and soaring IQ differentiates it enough.. you could argue that it's like the character of Monk, but not nearly as bumbling.

Looking forward to more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Liked it a lot . Will keep watching for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know what it is but while watching Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock, I was reminded of Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Basq wrote: »
    The only downside is Liu is probably one of the most unlikeable actresses out there

She definitely needs to smile more, but I do have a soft spot for her. Must check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

groovie wrote: »
    She definitely needs to smile more, but I do have a soft spot for her. Must check this out.
    That face could cut glass! :D

• Watching it now and I must say I quite like it - they took the core idea of Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century, sent him to America and went on their own spin entirely, which is where shows like Inbetweeners and IT Crowd have failed in their US conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i liked it a lot, i remember hearing about it initially and thinking id never watch it, its kinda gotta a house meets castle vibe off it, i think miller a liu played well off each other, and itll be interesting having the other characters come more into the show as it goes along, and they have a nice story for the mid-season break already set-up with lui character only agreeing to stay with him for 6 weeks,

after seeing this i would say it will definitely be the breakout show this season, its got all the ingredients to be successful, and its on CBS which is the perfect channel for a show like this, and its also got last years breakout Person of Interest as its lead-in show,

EDIT: also nice to see aiden quinn in this, i knew i recognized him just took me a while to click on, i hoped his jacket would have been stolen though :P

• Just finished watching and I'm really looking forward to watching it fully. It was really surprising just how much I did enjoy it and will definitely keep watching week-to-week, whenever it gets released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Just finished watching and I'm really looking forward to watching it fully. It was really surprising just how much I did enjoy it and will definitely keep watching week-to-week, whenever it gets released.
    the official pilot is the 27 of september, so it gonna be 4 weeks before episode 2 is out:(,

Advertisement