Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene - Where to buy at the 'pumps'?

• 07-11-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Yes, i need to find somewhere close to ballyhaunis in Mayo that I can buy kerosene/home heating oil from the pumps?

Theres a whole bunch of mofos stealing oil from tanks round these parts and f**ked if im working my t1ts off for some stunt to take 300-400 quids worth from me. Thankfully i only ever use about 200 litres of oil for the entire winter so buying it in 50 litre loads doesnt bother me. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056212301
    This thread mentions a few places and also the garage on the ballina to crossmolina sells it too think it is top oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

cheers astra for your reply. Found a local hardware who sell it by the gallon - Delaney's on Bridge street for anyone that might be interested.

(In ballyhaunis!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

As a matter of interest, how do you get the oil into the tank? It may sound like a silly question but I'm not sure I'd be able to lift a 50L drum high enough to get it into the tank (weakling that I am!).
    Would it be very heavy?
    Also, roughly how much would a 50L container be and does that place sell drums?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle as I've been stung a couple of times with my oil being robbed :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ash23 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how do you get the oil into the tank? It may sound like a silly question but I'm not sure I'd be able to lift a 50L drum high enough to get it into the tank (weakling that I am!).
    Would it be very heavy?
    50l of kerosene weighs 41kg, plus the weight of the container. That's a two-person lift. I think you'd have to siphon it.

I think it was approx 89 cent a liter. Archers in Ballina were selling pumps last year that people were using to pump water from drums up to tank in attic so maybe they would work there was 2 in a pack cost about 15e. 50l would be too heavy for one person I suppose you could decant it into a watering can which would hold about 10l and do it that way would be messy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ash23 wrote: »
    Would it be very heavy?
    Also, roughly how much would a 50L container be and does that place sell drums?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle as I've been stung a couple of times with my oil being robbed :(

He might as well use 2x25l containers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I think you can get a container that holds 20 litres. Top Oil on the Crossmolina Road has them for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The old 5 gallon drum (<25L) is a common size that was used by farmers etc for tractor diesel. Its about the heaviest you would want to be lifting to spill into a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

hello lads

I bought the fuel in 25ltr drums x 3. The total cost was about 70ish noddles. Also, i have a low, flat tank (3ft tall i think). The containers i used have tap valves on the bottom so i was as easy as turning the tap and let it fill!

John Caden crossmolina area has recently started delivering oil and will deliver very small amounts apparently. Would be handier than messing with drums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement