Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year old & nose bleeds..

• 28-02-2007 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭

The lil one woke last night at 4am. She is waking a lot lately due to a bad bout of teething. Anyway I got a right shock when I saw blood all over her face and sheets! Turned out she had a nose bleed. The room was certainly not too hot, her room is always a pleasant temp. I checked her nails and there was no sign of blood on them so maybe she didn't do it herself.

Had anyone else experienced something like this? Scared the sh*t out of me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Could she have fallen and banged her face off the cot?
    For your own peace of mind you should give your doc a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

suppose she could have but I think I would have heard it as she was awake for a while..and if she gets a knock, no matter how small she likes to roar! She has a cold also so maybe that's playing a part in it..dunno. right, off to sit in a doc's waiting room for a few hours to pick up the latest bug and pay for the privilege <sorry, tried after sleep interrupted night :-( >

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I feel your pain. I hate bringing the kids to the doctor.
    I have a 1yr 9mth year old who has a habit of splitting her lip. She'll just wander into the kitchen with blood pouring out of her mouth from a cut that ends up being only a few millimetres long. Half the time I don't know what she's done to herself. I can't wait until she starts talking properly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

My son is 4 years old and has gotten nosebleeds for a last few years. He gets them in the winter and after a cold. The reason is the humidity and his nose drying out. In the winter here in the states it gets so cold that the air is very dry plus the heating runs day and night in the house which drys out the air. Also after a cold your nose drys up and cracks a bit. He is like clock work when he gets to the end of a cold. We freaked out a bit but the doctor told us to use Bacitracin ointment, which is just the same stuff we use to put on a cut. We put a tiny dab up his nose and so far this winter he has had no nose bleeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

If Baby's covered by VHI then you can ring the Nurseline and ask their advice. Can save trips to the doc if they can tell you what's going on is nothing to worry about and put your mind at rest. I've rung them a few times and they've been very good, telling us what to check etc. Not sure if other health insurers have something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Kernel32 wrote:
    My son is 4 years old and has gotten nosebleeds for a last few years. He gets them in the winter and after a cold. The reason is the humidity and his nose drying out. In the winter here in the states it gets so cold that the air is very dry plus the heating runs day and night in the house which drys out the air. Also after a cold your nose drys up and cracks a bit. He is like clock work when he gets to the end of a cold.

Exact same story only our son is 3 1/2yrs. I will try that ointment out, thank you. The doctor told us that it was perfectly normal but I would strongly advise to go get it checked out, even just to make you feel better.

yep, we have VHI and I have called nurseline a few times. I have found them to be helpful alright...good common sense and very friendly.

great, I will check out that ointment. She hasn't had a nose bleed since though.

Advertisement