Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You can't really judge a person from where they come from, or even their accent for that matter, you get stereotypes no matter what in life and mostly it's down to ignorance. I met a sound Cavan person once....just the once mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I think it's way too late to disperse the stereotypes associated with Tallaght but I'd like to just say that I have lived here my whole life and it is a nice place to live. I hate that it has a bad reputation and it serious pisses me getting slagged about it by people who have never even been here.

It's not as though when you leave Tallaght, suddenly you can flaunt your wallet and your car keys and whatever valuables with the attitude, 'I'm not in Tallaght anymore, I won't get robbed'. No town in Dublin can leave their doors unlocked so why has Tallaght been singled out?

We have the Square and the Luas so it's very convenient. A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere. So tell me what it is.

Heres a newsflash Lorrs but nearly every place in Ireland has a stereotype and 99% of the times it should not be taken seriously!!

"Oh your from Cork you muck savage"

"Oh your from D4 you posh b*stard"

"Oh your from Tallaght you knacker"

These are just some examples of steretypes and from my experience when someone mentions them they are only in jest.

I remember I was in a nightclub a couple of years ago and started chatting to a couple of girls in the smoking area. It went something like this

Me "Hey hows it goin".....

Them "Hey, where are you from?"

Me "Ballinteer, and you?

Them "agh we are from Tallaght. Your from Ballinteer? You posh bastard hahahaha"

Me "eh ok it doesn't really matter where we are from"

Them " Ye right your a posh bastard hahaha"

They went on to mockingly laugh in my face because they thought I was posh and from a posh area. I didn't give a rats that they were from Tallaght but they seemed to find it amusing to abuse me because they thought I was from a posh area(Ballinteer is just like any other place IMO). I just brushed it off!

I can understand why you are getting defensive about the place where you live, but can you honestly say you have never said/judged anyone by where they lived, not even in a joking way? Everyone has........but most of the time it's just banter between friends IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Tallaght is great.

Yes, there are some areas that are bad, but that's what happens when you build massive housing estates and wait years before providing proper amenities.

As someone said, generally loyal people who'd do everything they could for you if you ever needed help.

I'll take that over an inflated sense of entitlement found in other "better" areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Tallaght reminds me of Slough.

OP, have you ever neen to Jobstown?

Jees Tallaght's not that bad :eek: :D

I live in Tallaght (Old Bawn). I'm originally from D4 though and house prices sent us out to the shhticks. We've really settled in, neighbours are lovely, the luas isn't far away, Square is within walking distance, I really love it there.

But jees, go passed Old Bawn and up to Killinarden, Fortunestown, Jobstown (who the named these places? :D:D:D) and the likes and you're into bandit country:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I don't think anyone from Tallaght ever calls it that.

I doubt someone from outside the area decided to spray paint it on a wall for no reason. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Tallaght is like a human wildlife park.
    Best thing to do is lock your doors and close your windows when driving through it.

Because of the smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

outside the area around the square its just a big industrial park really

have to say this though, first time we were in tallaght few years back got the luas down and we went walking around looking for the basketball arena, couldn't find it of course because like everywhere else in this country no signposts :mad: anyway came across this guy coming out of work asked him for directions, he told us we were gone completely the wrong way, so off we walk, about 2 mins later same guy returns in his car this time and tells us he will drop us off outside the gate, so there are genuinely nice people in tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Tallaght is like a human wildlife park.
    Best thing to do is lock your doors and close your windows when driving through it.

:D

I love Tallaght threads. I usually do nothing to dispel the reputation when I'm around non Tallafornians. Gives me a badass rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Heres a newsflash Lorrs but nearly every place in Ireland has a stereotype and 99% of the times it should not be taken seriously!!

These are just some examples of steretypes and from my experience when someone mentions them they are only in jest.

I remember I was in a nightclub a couple of years ago and started chatting to a couple of girls in the smoking area. It went something like this

Me "Ballinteer, and you?

Them "agh we are from Tallaght. Your from Ballinteer? You posh bastard hahahaha"

They went on to mockingly laugh in my face because they thought I was posh and from a posh area. I didn't give a rats that they were from Tallaght but they seemed to find it amusing to abuse me because they thought I was from a posh area(Ballinteer is just like any other place IMO). I just brushed it off!

I can understand why you are getting defensive about the place where you live, but can you honestly say you have never said/judged anyone by where they lived, not even in a joking way? Everyone has........but most of the time it's just banter between friends IMO.

Can anyone else hear these voices you speak of? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, the problem with Tallaght is it's very big so once a year (Hallow'een) when the buses refuse to go to certain parts of Tallaght, the whole of Tallaght gets tarred with the same brush in the papers.

Some parts are grand, some are absolute total and utter dumps and I feel very sorry for the decent people that live in those dumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, the problem with Tallaght is it's very big so once a year (Hallow'een) when the buses refuse to go to certain parts of Tallaght, the whole of Tallaght gets tarred with the same brush in the papers.

Some parts are grand, some are absolute total and utter dumps and I feel very sorry for the decent people that live in those dumps.

I knew a guy who managed a local pizza place and they wouldn't deliver to certain areas. Every time they went the driver got robbed and battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

At least it's not on the Northside. Even number post codes rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Mulk wrote: »
    At least it's not on the Northside. Even number post codes rule.

They call us the northside embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Musa Polite Plantation

Grimes wrote: »
    I did some Christmas shopping in the Square. For a moment I wondered "this must be what it would be like if I volunteered in Haiti"
    ***NEWS FLASH***NEWS FLASH***NEWS FLASH***

A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale has hit Tallaght in the early hours of Friday 13th January 2011.

Epicentre: The Square Shopping Centre.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering "...bleedin story?", "aaaaawrigh' bud" and "fUUUcksake". The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately EUR30 worth of damage.

Several priceless collections of mementos from Crete and Santa Ponza were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived.

The Tallaght News reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.

One resident - Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said "Ih was such a fuckin' shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin' into me bedruem cryin'. Me youngisst two: Tyler-Morgan n Megan-Brooklyn slept tru ih all. Buh I was still shakin' when I was watchin' fuckin' Rikki Lake leh-er in the fuckin' mornin". Apparently though, looting, muggings and incidental crime carried on as normal and were not affected.

The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Strongbow, Dutch Gold, frozen pizza and John Player Blue to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include welfare books, jewellery including thousands of sovereign rings, many large medallions and Hash leaf ear rings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of Value.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
    This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing, parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:
    * Fila or Kappa baseball caps,
    * Hoodies (any type)
    * Tommy Hilfiger tracksuits (his and hers)
    * Nike/Adidas Shell suits (female)
    * White sport socks Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx.
    * Anything from Magic or Unique Boutique.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, as refrigeration may be a problem, but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:

* McCains oven chips
    * Heinz baked beans
    * Goodfellas Frozen Pizza
    * Coke/Fanta
    * Strongbow Cider
    * Smirnoff Ice.
    * John Player Blue 15's. (unmarried mother handy pack)

And remember that your contribution counts!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and bookie slips. Just EUR5.00 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9. Only EUR6.00 will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.

Note: Please do not send tents for shelter, as the sight of such plush accommodation is unfair on the population of the local halting sites.

Tallaght is great.

Yes, there are some areas that are bad, but that's what happens when you build massive housing estates and wait years before providing proper amenities.

As someone said, generally loyal people who'd do everything they could for you if you ever needed help.

I'll take that over an inflated sense of entitlement found in other "better" areas.

While I agree with your point about the lack of amenities and a loyal community etc, you kind of made your point invalid by showing ignorance and a stereotype in itself. eg "inflated sense of entitlement".

That's a bit of a ridiculous statement isn't it? Think about it from the flip side....... Someone from lets say an affluent area of Rathgar wrote the post that you did. They would say:

"Rathgar is great....

Loyal people etc....."

Then finish off with

"I'll take that over the jobless criminals found in other "worse" areas."

Do you get my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had to google the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Me "Ballinteer, and you?

yeh ballinteer isnt posh i got my leg raked by studs just for beating your gaa team ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I lived on the Old bawn road and in Killinarden.Nothing much happens around the tallaght village area or around Old bawn.Now lets take Killinarden ,Jesus what a kip ,Full of nutters in all of the estates there.I have mates in Donamore and Cushlawn and that ****ing place will scare you if you're not used to it or if you don't know anyone.Halloween is something else ,sheer fcuking madness.I remember coming home from work about 10 years ago after a night shift and there was a burned out car in the middle of the road in front of my driveway.I just thought to my self "ahh sure it was halloween last night":pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    outside the area around the square its just a big industrial park really

have to say this though, first time we were in tallaght few years back got the luas down and we went walking around looking for the basketball arena, couldn't find it of course because like everywhere else in this country no signposts :mad: anyway came across this guy coming out of work asked him for directions, he told us we were gone completely the wrong way, so off we walk, about 2 mins later same guy returns in his car this time and tells us he will drop us off outside the gate, so there are genuinely nice people in tallaght
    You got off at the square and went ''walking about'' to find the basketball arena?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is good and bad areas everywhere, its not where you live its how you live

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

You got off at the square and went ''walking about'' to find the basketball arena?

lol

Yeah that's a bit of a walk alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I don't think anyone from Tallaght ever calls it that.

It's mostly grand. Killinarden and the Jobstown area are dumps but they're on the outskirts so you don't really have to go near them.

Its nice to know that some people dont care about calling the areas that people live in Dumps..yes there are problems but there are also some really nice people...it must be nice to be looking down from your Ivory Tower...

biko wrote: »
    I had to google the place.

Google on Barrow Street has just been evacuated, I was wondering why!.

Cheapo wrote: »
    Its nice to know that some people dont care about calling the areas that people live in Dumps..yes there are problems but there are also some really nice people...it must be nice to be looking down from your Ivory Tower...
    He didn't say people there aren't nice, he said those areas are dumps.... and they are.

There's really no way to sugar coat it, they're absolute kips.

yeh ballinteer isnt posh i got my leg raked by studs just for beating your gaa team ;)

Must have been our off day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Lived in Tallaght for 7 months, in the block of apartments near dominos and Molloys pub.

Found it to be ok to be honest, went out the whole time with the lads I was living with and never got into any problems.

Seen a good bit of shoplifting in the spar down the road, and a few fights on nights out but other than that I enjoyed it. Ran into a few groups of scumbags from time to time but very seldomly. Another thing that can be a bit scummy is some of the carry on, on the buses but I think its that way everywhere in Dublin(and other parts of Ireland too)

01 Aslan
    02 Heroin (See 1)
    03 Stealin'
    04 Joy-ridin'
    05 Saying 'Yaknowwhorrameyan?"
    06 Shamrock Rovers
    07 Social welfare
    08 Keyin' Cars
    09 Pop Idol
    10 Wearing belly tops over their pale, flabby stomachs
    11 Calling people 'Bud' who are not their bud
    12 Compo
    13 Calling people 'Pal' who are not their pal
    14 Shortening words and adding the letter 'o' (Anto, Decco, Corpo)
    15 Calling people 'Boss' who are not their boss
    16 John Player Blue
    17 Burberry
    18 Burglary
    19 Fair City
    20 Celtic shirts
    21 'Taches
    22 Fireworks every night for the entire month preceeding Halloween
    23 Sky Digital
    24 Saying "I didn't bleedin' do tha'!"
    25 Travelling in packs
    26 Moochin'
    27 Swearing at their babies
    28 Getting their mot's preggers
    29 Champion Sports
    30 Christmas Lights you could see from space
    31 Skippin' school
    32 Skippin' bail
    33 Giving their kids Monster Munch and Maltesers for breakfast on the bus
    34 Standing in queues outside the dole office
    35 Funtasia
    36 Iceland - the food chain, not the country
    37 Man U
    38 Saying, "That's not my bleedin' job!"
    39 Pushing prams while smoking
    40 Earrings (for guys)
    41 Earrings a chimpanzee could swing off (for girls)
    42 Saying "He didn't do nothin'!" when he clearly did do something
    43 Baseball caps
    44 Sawn-off Shotguns
    45 Adrian Kennedy Phone Show
    46 Picking up unfinished cigarettes dropped on the street by someone else just after coming out of a medical centre (as God is my witness)
    47 Shop-liftin'
    48 Tamangos
    49 Not payin' the bus fare
    50 Curry Chips and a burger
    51 Leaving their kids play outside on a busy road while they get hammered on a Sunday afternoon
    52 Always following the word 'rich' with the word 'wanker'
    53 Pulling their hoodies over their heads as they're led away from the Four Courts
    54 Eschewing peaceful solutions to conflict when Violent Senseless Mayhem will suffice
    55 Pissing in Elevators
    56 Being an authority on everything
    57 Knee-cappings
    58 Racism
    59 Smiley Bolger
    60 Getting their hair cut so tight they look like a matchstick with ears from the back
    61 Not readin' bukes

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Anywhere that has to fully enclose bridges over streets in a cage is a dump.

Anywhere that has to fully enclose bridges over streets in a cage is a dump.
    So... everywhere then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Some parts of tallaght are still very rough,as are other areas of Dublin,but it is a lot better than it was in the earlys 80,s when it had absolutely nothing in it,no communitys ,no shopping centre, nothing.Its improving all be it very slow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement