Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airbrush In Ireland

• 17-11-2005 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Hey anyone know of a good place to get airbushes and gear in reland preferably in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah, I'd like to know as well - been watching this thread full of expectations but nothing so far...

I'm thinking about getting a couple of clear truck bodies in one go (saving on p&p) and painting them myself. I've been looking around for equipment (i.e. compressor, brush and paint) but it's hard to come by - seen 1 or 2 compressors and a couple of Paasche brushes, but no paint yet. Also paint can't be shipped from abroad. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

T-Maxx wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a couple of clear truck bodies in one go (saving on p&p) and painting them myself. I've been looking around for equipment (i.e. compressor, brush and paint) but it's hard to come by - seen 1 or 2 compressors and a couple of Paasche brushes, but no paint yet. Also paint can't be shipped from abroad. Any help would be appreciated.

The hobby shop in lexlip used to do a airbrush dont know how good it was but they may still have the paint. www.rcboyz.com This is a shop in the states i have gotten my paint and airbrush from. I got a paasche vl set, i am no expert with it and am still learning to mix the paints right. I have been mostly using faskolor paints but after recently using some two tint spax paint to give a purple and green flip i think i will try some of it out as it seems to work better, its a lot more thined out straight from the bottle and doesnt block the brush. My Advice is if you order get a good mix of colours and stock up on black or white if you use them as backing colours you dont find them lasting to long so get a second bottle. It rattle cans they dont ship airbrush paint is not in a compressed contain just liquid in a bottle.also good for masking get liquid mask, give a few coats and leave to dry ,it forms a protective layer over the shell no need to use masking tape.

As for a compressor i got one in argos for 89 or 99, u can get one in mcquillians on capel st or the like for about the same , just make sure what ever u get has variable pressure as some paints need higher or lower pressures to be sprayed at and also be careful as i believe some compressors can spray i think its water from traped moisture or oil u need some kinda fluid trap on the output air hose check with the shop before just in case.
    If i had the room i would have gotten a medium size compressor as the tank i have is small and the motor needs to kick in a lot to refill scares the living **** out of me not good when you are in mid spray so think about that when u are buying, small one is grand to start out with though keep cost down.

I have a great walk through of a spray painting job downloaded on word if anyone wants it pm me or if some knows how i can get it hosted and a link on this thread that would be good. cant remember the website at all now.

And remember this way of painting is slow and u need to think ahead plan everything but the results can and are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

how much did the lot come to can u remember? roughly.

i cant remember exactly the brush was around 55-60dollars the paints are going for 3-5 dollars i got maybe 10 different colours and masking fliud was around 10dollars. average cost of paint 4 dollars thats 40 +60+10 got 110dollars with probably 25-30dollars shipping so thats 140 and about 30 in duty and vat, so about 150-160 euro intotal for brush paints and mask fluid, of course 90 for the compressor so 250 in total ish, give or take a few.

you should look around get some of the brands and model numbers and check the net or ebay u may find a few deals going closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've an old devilbiss around somewhere I never used, spare needle. I also have a biggish compress with a moisture trap. How much are these things work, or after a few years lying ideal is a airbrush still worth anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

I've an old devilbiss around somewhere I never used, spare needle. I also have a biggish compress with a moisture trap. How much are these things work, or after a few years lying ideal is a airbrush still worth anything?
    Id be interested if it was still working ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I seem to recall picking up parts for my Aztek at the art store on Harcourt St. (Dublin)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Companies will post Paint to you from the UK. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

With regards to the airbrush itself - are there any important points to look out for / things to avoid? I've seen different makes and models ranging between US$30 and US$200.

T-Maxx wrote:
    With regards to the airbrush itself - are there any important points to look out for / things to avoid? I've seen different makes and models ranging between US$30 and US$200.

I think basically once you have "Dual Action" it is one of the more important details covered.. also once you can get replacement parts for it.:)

• Advertisement

dual action is important and as vectra said so long as u can get parts if you need them. i have my one now for 2 years and have not needed anything. just treat it easy and remember to alway clean it out well after using.

always clean it out well after using.

VITAL ...!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Hi all,

I have a full stock of airbrushs, paints, compressors, and spares if you want any info just pm me.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tonymcgrath

hi tony here i have 4 aztex airbrushes for sale new never used will give a training session if u choose ti buy if u need any info on airbrushing let me know tony

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I am getting my airbrushes from UK via web...

www.airbrushes.com

If there is a company in Ireland, which sells proffessional airbrush equipment, I'd like to know as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ Valeria Long Manatee

I honestly dont think Masteroftherealm cares anymore. 2 Years on in a search for airbrushes? If he wants one he would of got one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Flunked wrote:
    I honestly dont think Masteroftherealm cares anymore. 2 Years on in a search for airbrushes? If he wants one he would of got one ;)

...you're right, but it's good to recycle old threads.
    We'll see if anything have changed after those 2yrs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donnatechno

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im doing a course at the mo and need to find a work placement for 5 weeks. Thing is doing airbrushing as a career and cant seem to find anybody in Ireland to contact. If you could send me some contact details or info that would be great.

Thanks Dee

What sort of airbrushing are you doing? detail or things such as cars?
    You could call up some places that spray cars, might get someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

• Advertisement

I would like to go into graphic design and not just end up doing block jobs on cars. Im hoping to airbrush clothes and do body art and nails prob all been done before but i cant seem to find anyone in Ireland who does anything like it. Do you know of anyone???

Thanks for the reply

Hey Doktor thanks for your help im heading up to meet Sean but no luck from the other web sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I would like to go into graphic design and not just end up doing block jobs on cars. Im hoping to airbrush clothes and do body art and nails prob all been done before but i cant seem to find anyone in Ireland who does anything like it. Do you know of anyone???

Thanks for the reply

Some of the links i gave you are hardly just "block jobs". Airbrushing is not just about ...well.. airbrushing. There is huge amounts to learn about prepping surfaces, paint.. i mean ya could do a degree in automotive paint alone.
    Try www.celticchops.com
    Heres a few block jobs on some bikes an trucks...
    paint001.jpg
    paint018.jpg
    You could also get in touch with www.airbrushes.com
    They are in the UK, and they run courses on airbrushing makeup, body art, nail art etc. They may also be able to point you in the right direction as to who does nail art etc in Ireland as they are a pretty big supplier in that industry.
    Ohhh.. and i like this one! Id nearly get a truck just to have it!!
    paint005.jpg

:eek: They are pretty immense 'jobs.
    I'd be afraid that i would end up dropping the bike on its side and destroying its glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 goldwingkk

bjjjbbjb ji iiii

bbbb

I am tired of typing replies and when I post it disappears . smdesigns.co.uk are in ballymena Belfast . They have a purpose built airbrushing school and shop and online shop . There's nothing they don't have , paint stencils,machineryy etc . I did a course there , great . I'd love to go again , but can't afford it . It's quite expensive. Anyone near Kilkenny with experience I'd like to meet for tips help advice and mutual interest

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carareen

i know that was years ago but do u still have the airbrush with the session if i buy?

Who was that directed to ? Me ? no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carareen

that reply was for tony mcgrath who commented on last page

Advertisement