Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students: Mary I 2012/2013

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Hi grantyrs, I just finished my B.Ed. with French in May. Obviously the modules in the 4 year course will differ from what I did in the 3 year, but we covered modules in language and expression (grammar, speaking, listening etc.), french philosophy, crime and justice, and the French and Love. Basically it was a mix of language and literature.

Like any of the arts subjects, you get out of it what you put in. It is possible to get by without doing too much reading (I'll admit there were a few required books on the course that I never even bought, and just looked up a few quotes in the library.) However if you want to do well, there is effort required. Most B.Ed.s will probably tell you that they spent more time working on their Arts modules than Education, and French was no different for me. Hopefully this will all change in the new course though.

If you have a good standard of French, I would have no problem recommending it as a subject choice. French films are shown once per fortnight, and you can be asked questions on these in the end-of-semester oral exam. The lecturers and tutors are very friendly and helpful, and there's a good mix of literature and language. They used to come out for a few drinks and a chat with us after the films even. Mary I gets a good few French Erasmus students too so there's plenty opportunity to practice your language.

I wouldn't worry too much about choosing your elective subjects now. You'll have a chance in September to go to lots of different lectures and see what you like before having to make a final decision.

Thank you that's great and really helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Could anyone shed some light on when lectures are going to start for Bed course this year ?? And when is orientation week ?
    Any info appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Could anyone shed some light on when lectures are going to start for Bed course this year ?? And when is orientation week ?
    Any info appreciated :D

Lectures for all courses start on Monday 10th September. Orientation Week is on the week prior to this - starting Monday 3rd September.

Students in each course are required to attend 2-3 days of Orientation Week. Whether you attend the remaining days of the week is up to you - those are optional.

You should receive a letter from the college after the CAO offers are released, with details of Orientation Week, lectures and various administration forms.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

The details for Orientation 2012 can be found here

http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/Pages/orientationweek.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

The details for Orientation 2012 can be found here

http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/Pages/orientationweek.aspx

cant seem to open orientation schedule for early Care and education..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Just wondering: Does the new four year course mean that we could also teach abroad too when qualified?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Just wondering: Does the new four year course mean that we could also teach abroad too when qualified?

I'd say so. There would be less complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Good luck to anyone hoping for offers in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hey everyone :) some kind girl got the paper early and scanned the points for every course in the country and posted it on the thread in the LC section. From myself viewing that, Primary Teaching has stayed at 470 and Primary and Physchology is 545.

I've 40 points over the regular B.ED so yep Mary I here I come :D A friend of mine has 475 so he'll most likely be going too while another friend has 470. He'll have to get lucky I guess. Could someone explain how they decide who'll get the places when they're bang on the points?

Edit: Here's the proof for anyone who wants it.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

I know nobody will probably see this before they check their offer or find out from themselves but honestly the excitement is too much. Hope everyone gets what they want :) Points seem pretty fair with Mary I this year....very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I got in through the Gaeltacht applicant, although I got enough points through the normal way too. Will this mean anything different to me when I start?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Primary Teaching is 470 so everyone who gets 470 and had it first choice should be offered the course.
    Primary Teaching in Education and Psychology is 555* which means that some of those with 555 will be offered a place through random selection and unfortunately some of those on 555 will miss out.
    Arts and Early Childhood Care and Education are 370.

Primary Teaching for Gaeltacht applicants is 430. It won't make any difference in September if you've gotten over 470 with regard to applying for this.

Best of luck to all awaiting offers

MISU Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Oh ooops I read it the other way round >.<. My apologies...the excitement and tiredness obviously hindered my focus and reading abilities!

But wow that's very interesting that there is no arterix next to Primary Teaching. As far as I remember I haven't seen that with a few years. It always had the whole 'not everyone who got the points was offered a place'. Does anyone know what happened this year that there is no arterix? Does it mean that only the bare minimum got the points? For curiosity purposes of course, I already checked my CAO and it's there for me :)

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Oh ooops I read it the other way round >.<. My apologies...the excitement and tiredness obviously hindered my focus and reading abilities!

But wow that's very interesting that there is no arterix next to Primary Teaching. As far as I remember I haven't seen that with a few years. It always had the whole 'not everyone who got the points was offered a place'. Does anyone know what happened this year that there is no arterix? Does it mean that only the bare minimum got the points? For curiosity purposes of course, I already checked my CAO and it's there for me :)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'only the bare minimum got the points'.

Demand for teaching courses is down nationally, which means less people would have applied for the B.Ed in Mary I (I'm surmising). That would mean that there was less demand for the course, and that fewer people were clustered on 470 points waiting for entry to the course. Other years, by the time places had been given out in order of points, there might have been lets say 10 places left at 470 points. But there might have been 15 applicants with 470 points. Random selection decided which 10 got in, and that's where the asterisk * comes from. This year random selection wasn't required.

Now that's a really rough example, and other scenarios could have led to it. I'm wondering if 400 places were made available this year, the same as other years? I'm guessing they were or the points would have been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

just out of interest, how many places are available for primary teaching this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

just out of interest, how many places are available for primary teaching this year?

I think that instead of it being 400 for a 3 year course, it's now 300 for the 4 year course.

That's what was said at a union council meeting last year. Reason being that the college in its current state couldn't handle an extra 400 students.

I think that instead of it being 400 for a 3 year course, it's now 300 for the 4 year course.

That's what was said at a union council meeting last year. Reason being that the college in its current state couldn't handle an extra 400 students.

I wonder if that actually went ahead though Poxyshamrock?

If it's the case that only 300 B.Eds started, and the points are still at 470 rather than rising, it means there was a significant drop off in interest in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dambarude wrote: »
    I wonder if that actually went ahead though Poxyshamrock?

If it's the case that only 300 B.Eds started, and the points are still at 470 rather than rising, it means there was a significant drop off in interest in the course.

Yeah, I was thinking the same!

If they did reduce numbers by that much, I can't see how the points stayed the same (and lost the asterisk). :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DaisysB

Post-Grad course for Primary Teaching question
    dambarude, you partially answered my question in a previous post, that there is 2 weeks of teaching practice in semester 1. Could you please give a quick outline of the course format, approximately how many hours attendance per week and an idea of how the Gaeltacht and Teaching Practice fit into the 3 semesters. I can't find anything like this on the MaryI website.
    Thank you, the information will help me to decide if the course would suit in terms of travelling and working arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

There's over 400 in 1st year this year!

Advertisement