Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polling interest for a Galway photowalk/Photoshop get together for September 11

• 09-08-2010 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Even HDR, flower and swan photo fans will be welcome!

Since I've joined 091 Labs in Galway City, I've discovered that there is a strong internal interest in hosting a Galway City photowalk. I'd also like to submit that I could also offer a space, equipment and bandwidth for a on-that-day Photoshop symposium and all-around digital processing get-together. The workspace is at the Fairgreen and immediately adjacent to both of Galway's bus and train terminals - we're next door to one and across the road from the other. Cute bullet-point list of what I'm proposing:
    • The People's Photography is on in two weeks, and it wouldn't be fair to schedule another event for the week before or after. I'm tentatively offering up Saturday September 11 as the date for this photowalk.
    • The photowalk route would just be your typical wander around Galway's city center.
    • 091 Labs is around the corner from the fabulous Radisson Blu hotel on Lough Atalia road. If there is sufficient I'll inquire about discounted rates.
    • In addition to the photowalk we have a great, well-equipped computer workspace with projectors and lots of bandwith. I think a digital processing sharing session on the same day/weekend would be a great thing.
    • Share your workflow, tips, tricks and techniques.
    • Pub afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Sounds like a great idea, I would be interested (and am fascinated by the 091 labs, would love to see them)

Coming from Dublin would need some advance notice though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Sounds like a bit of fun - won't know if I'm free until closer to the day though - fingers crossed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emacken

I'm a beginner to photography myself and am looking forward to advancing my skills. The fact there is an area to work on processing afterwards is a really nice plus aswell. Thanks for organising.

I'm 091 labs myself so I'll be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Might be away that weekend, but count me in if I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Would be interested in this too. Galway is only 2 1/2 hours from my house so might do it as a day trip. The Radisson is too rich for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Can I put you all down as "maybe"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

sounds like a plan.

I've settled on Saturday September 11 for the photowalk. I'm currently waiting on Stephen to put it up on photowalk.ie, but in the meanwhile I'll just do a dump link and copy/paste as I have doctor's appointment to run to:

http://091labs.com/2010/08/galway-photowalk-details/
    Galway-based hacker and creative workspace, 091 Labs, will be hosting a photowalk and digital processing workshop at our Workspace on Saturday September 11, 2010. Our (well…my) general plan for the day is as follows:

Event details:
    • 10am: We all meet up at the 091 Labs workspace at Exchange House on Fairgreen Road and swap introductions.
    • 10:30am-11am: Move out and begin our walk around the city and Claddagh beachfront.
    • 2pm: Return to the workspace for lunch (we have plenty of eateries around the area).
    • 3pm-6pm: Digital processing and photographic technique workshops. I need you for these.

Some of the details of the day are still up in the air; I would like anyone interested in holding a 15-30 minute workshop to contact me directly within the next week to suggest yours. Anything photography-related is welcome: Share your business tips, workflow advice, shooting techniques or even a regale us with a suitably entertaining rant. The Labs’ workspace features a secure lockup, copious bandwidth, an abundance or comfortable chairs and plenty of sockets; with that in mind I encourage those interested to bring along their laptop or Netbook to work from.

You can grab an ICS calendar event to add to your Outlook, iCal or Google Calendar from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Haven't been in Galway in ages. So it's a yes from me:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I wont be able to get a passport for this one.
    Baby number 3 is being delivered on the 14th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very interested in this. I'm back from Alicante on the 9th of September so I'm available. Put me down for this. :D

DK32 wrote: »
    I wont be able to get a passport for this one.
    Baby number 3 is being delivered on the 14th :D

Would you like me to have a word with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Fenster wrote: »
    Would you like me to have a word with her?
    LOL

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm in! Gonna make a whole long weekend of it, damn the expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

not sure if i have peeps coming to stay that weekend or the weekend before but sher put me down for a maybe anyway. i can always leave them alone in the house with the number of the local chinese ;)

will there be any other film users there or will ye all be bandying about big fancy digital yokes? i could bring some kit and we could go for shooting, developing and scanning some b+w? not that what i have is top of the range or owt but if any of ye want to give it a go i'm willing to share the love :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GalwayMarion

You can put me on the 'maybe' list, I will certainly be there if my work schedule allows.

This is now clashing with Bizcamp Galway, and I wouldn't mind going to both... any chance of a reconsideration of the date? Even moving Sat -> Sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Can anybody go??

If so i'd be a strong maybe seeing as I'm about to move to Galway and also seeing as i've never contributed or taken apart in anything here in the two year i've *(occasionally) posted.

DarrenG wrote: »
    Would be interested in this too. Galway is only 2 1/2 hours from my house so might do it as a day trip. The Radisson is too rich for me.

I just booked the Clybaun Hotel which is a €3.50 bus ride from Eyre Square. It's very reasonable.

• Advertisement

Right, fock it - count me in altogether so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I'm 99% sure that I'm going too, but I'm afraid that it will clash with a training day that I have to attend...double bookings got to love them

I just booked the Clybaun Hotel which is a €3.50 bus ride from Eyre Square. It's very reasonable.

Looks nice. But bit too expensive for me. Need to check what else is available soon - or I have to drive both ways on one day...

xia wrote: »
    Looks nice. But bit too expensive for me. Need to check what else is available soon - or I have to drive both ways on one day...

I'll try and find something for you; please give me an idea of budget. :)

stick-dan wrote: »
    Can anybody go??

If so i'd be a strong maybe seeing as I'm about to move to Galway and also seeing as i've never contributed or taken apart in anything here in the two year i've *(occasionally) posted.

Absolutely; no camera required.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm starting back to NUIG on the 6th, so I'll stick myself down as a maybe for this :D

Here's a small but significant update for the photowalk: We (091 Labs) will have a ten euro suggested donation that will go toward paying rent on the building. It is not mandatory.

:)

xia wrote: »

I got it for three nights for me and MissusP&B for €177 so it's not too bad. Way cheaper than anything in the city centre.

I got it for three nights for me and MissusP&B for €177 so it's not too bad. Way cheaper than anything in the city centre.

That sound really good. But for me it's too much at the moment, I'm afraid. And single occupancy is usually more expensive anyway.
    Again didn't have time today to look into it. But hopefully have more time tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I thought this was ages away but it isn't and recovery from a couple of hectic weeks is required so it's a no for me :( I'd really like to explore the 091labs one day though!

Advertisement