Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings: Diamonds & Vanity?

• 25-01-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

After watching various documentaries about blood diamonds over the years, I have decided that I would not be happy to wear a diamond engagement ring as I don't want to support the god awful trade.
    My boyfriends sister got engaged recently and loves flashing her ring (obviously she's thrilled to be engaged but she tends to be pretty "flash" and showy anyway!) and I've never herad of anybody NOT having a diamond engagement ring.

Is there a vanity issue with girls when it comes to these things? I always hear women say things like "Oh her ring is fab" or just as easily slag off a ring if it's not great. They can be pretty critical and judgemental.

Now I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about stones (cut, clarity etc) and I don't wear very expensive jewellary. A lot of research and money can get you an ethically sourced diamond but my question is this...does it HAVE to be a diamond ring?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We have a running joke that I'd rather he'd spend the €10k on an M3 for me, rather than a diamond ring.

TBH - I don't get the diamond thing. I understand having a symbol of the engagement (I know I'd want something) but I don't why there is the obsession with diamonds. It was probably due to some very clever advertising years ago from De Beers (or some company like that).

When a friend got engaged recently, she took ages (and I mean a painful age) to choose her ring. It had to be X and it had to be Y, and by no means could it be "affordable". Then to top it all off, she made sure to get a diamond encrusted wedding band also. I just simply don't get it? She's wearing ~€10k on her finger, instead of buying a car or something useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I don't think it has to be diamond. It's your ring, your engagement, let it be whatever you want. It's all an advertising gimmick anyway. Yeah, diamonds are pretty. But so are emeralds and rubies and whatever. I hate overly extravagant rings. I saw my sister in law's engagement ring before my brother proposed and I just thought it was so tacky. Diamonds surrounded by diamonds with even more diamonds down the band. Yeah, great way to say "rob me!" What a waste of money! One small one will do me. I'd rather have that money go towards a home with my future husband than a little ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Thank God, I thought it was just me! :o

Yes it's lovely to have a symbol of the engagement and same as you I'd like something but I think diamonds are more of a status symbol for some people.

I've told my boyfriend that I don't want a diamond but he probably thinks I'm just saying that! I really don't but would be interested in hearing if anyones had something alternative.

I know I'd totally be looked down on by some girls but I wouldn't wear something I wasn't happy with, knowing where they come from and how they're sourced and costs a rediculous amount of money just to be conventional.

Very interested in hearing opinions on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The whole "you don't want a diamond ring? HORRORS" thing is just one more instance of people who need to keep their mouths shut about other people's life choices. Honestly, the world would be a better place if people would just mind their own business 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing something so expensive around the place, and would also share the OP's concerns about blood diamonds. People probably won't believe this but I would be more than happy with a cheap silver and turquoise ring or something. If he wants to spend a load of money on me then I'll take a motorbike or a holiday or something. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hmmm, I'll divide this into parts to chart my varying thoughts on this so its easier to digest :)

Light hearted
    I used to/still do get great craic out of this one rising girls I'm friends with or work with; it's insane how much of a reaction you can provoke with this statement - "But whether it's a 3 carat rock or the ring out of a barn brack, the meaning is still the same, no?" > Apparently not. :P

Serious
    I think it's just become culturally synonymous with the sought after grandeur of a modern wedding. [I'll temper the following by saying that its not par for the course for everyone, but in my experience this is what I think]. A lot of people tend to equate the value of the ring to the value of their relationship. The Disney fairytale wedding that's perpetuated to everyone and has become really culturally embedded dictates that the bride to be must have everything she wants for her big day. Some people get married for the wrong reasons; i.e. don't understand the difference between wedding and marriage.

Philosophical
    What is a diamond anyway except a pretty stone? Without wanting to throw this onto a philosophy tangent its value is dictated by what the mind perceives. It has no inherent usefulness other than to serve as a very nice accessory [ii] to show off to your peers what your relationship is worth or [iii] a symbol of the ties that bind, in a good way, as regards your relationship.

Value
    Personally as mentioned I'd rather give a prospective fiancee an M3 or the likes than a rock of a similar value. Having said that, if its what she really wanted, and it was for the right reasons then I wouldn't be averse to buying one either.

Considered Opinion
    Anyway, as you can probably guess, I'm little disillusioned by the wedding ethos in this country. Huge pressure to conform, huge pressure to have everything perfect, huge pressure to spend big for a big day [not marriage], huge pressure on the bride to have the nicest dress, huge pressure on the groom to buy her the most expensive ring... I really believe it does coerce people into choices that they fell they have to make and not what they want which is so very very wrong.

A ring shouldn't dictate the value of your relationship. It should be a symbol you wear to remind you that there is someone in your life that cares very deeply about you and you for him/her. Whether its a 10 carat de beers diamond ring or something that the two of you picked out in a tacky souvenir shop on holidays shouldn't matter; what matters is what it symbolises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Perhaps Sheldon says it best? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I don't get why people think it's about vanity or being flashy when someone gets a diamond ring.
    Who are you to look down on someone else and judge their purchase. How do you know it's a waste? Why would they prefer to spend then money on a car? What's important to you is not important to someone else. That goes both ways.

Is it really that big of a deal for you to let someone be happy with their diamond ring? No one cares if you don't have one.
    Don't want a ring? Great, good for you. Do want a ring? Great, good for you.

FWIW, I'd prefer the ring over the car. I'm married and didn't get an engagement ring. No one judged me or even mentioned it tbh. I will get one some day but where's the rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's a middle ground between a €10k De Beers number and a barm brack ring... My fiance and I picked out my ring in a small, family-run jewellers, and I offered to go halves on it (he was having none of it). I couldn't care less about cut, clarity etc but it is beautiful and very simple. I honestly can't tell the difference between mine and one that cost thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I like the idea of a diamond ring-I like the fact that the stone in synonomous with the meaning-ie if you see a diamond ring on someones engagement finger it stands out as an engagement ring, whereas if you see another stone the meaning for me is more ambiguous (is she engaged or does she just like wearing her ring on that finger?). That's just me though, my best friend has a ruby engagement ring and its stunning, but if I saw it and didnt know her I wouldnt be sure it was an engagement ring (but I suppose what does that matter if I dont know her?).

Anyway, the one thing about a diamond engagement ring I dont like is the ''obligation'' to spend a small fortune on it. All this three months wages crap or whatever it is-if my OH spent three months wages on a ring I'd ask him to come pawn it with me and go on holiday! Personally I would love a diamond, they're my birthstone and my favourite looking stone, but I would hate something extravagant.
    All that said I cant stand weddings and never plan on having one, so if I were to get engaged, itd just be the ring and the honeymoon :L

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hope people realise that not all diamonds are blood diamonds! No reputable store would/should sell blood diamonds.

Personally, I don't get it. Materialism gone made imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

magentas wrote: »
    I've never herad of anybody NOT having a diamond engagement ring.

Oh dear
    Before the 20th century, other types of betrothal gifts were common. Before the end of the 19th century, the bride-to-be sometimes received a sewing thimble rather than an engagement ring.[1] This practice was particularly common among religious groups that shunned jewelry. Engagement rings didn't become standard in the West until the end of the 19th century, and diamond rings didn't become common until the 1930s.[1] Now, 80% of American women are offered a diamond ring to signify engagement.[1]

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/4575/

It was introduced under heavy advertising from de beers in the 20th century

you can have whatever ring you want!
    If i ever get engaged, i wouldn't mind a sapphire. because they're blue... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Not big into jewellery at all, but if I WAS getting an engagement ring, it would be either sapphire or emerald.

Something like this:

AOGRG-EM1C.jpg&sa=X&ei=68IfT6O_FYTMhAfH4L3YDQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNG6sDcGHZk1F9KT6EC7DZ87mMgi6A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

When we got engaged my husband got me a sapphire ring since he knew I really had no interest in diamonds but I think some of the coloured stones are lovely.

It is not big or flashy but I think it is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I had really loved the idea of an antique sapphire or emerald art deco style ring, but upon trying them on I realised that none of them suited my small stubby hands! I ended up picking a simple white gold solitaire, something I never thought I'd go for. Diamonds don't automatically equal materialistic, I just went with the ring that looked good on my hand, at a price we didn't get ripped off with (he would have easily paid twice the amount on Grafton St!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'd love an M3 too, but cars devalue. Certified diamonds, not to mention the band & setting, generally* don't.

I'd guess that for most people, it's simply a matter of tradition. When I got engaged, my ring was from H. Samuel, which I'm sure a lot of people were horrified at. I didn't give a fiddlers, though, all I cared about was that I was marrying the man I loved. I lost it about 3 weeks before the wedding, and as we were going to New York on our honeymoon, decided to replace it there. I paid for the replacement myself, and, since I had the money and felt like spoiling myself a bit, got a more valuable ring that time.

Some women definitely do go a bit bats about the whole thing. Plus, the goalposts keep moving in relation to how much you're "supposed" to spend on the ring. Tradition always dictated a month's salary, but then it seemed to go from two months to three very suddenly during the Celtic Tiger years. A friend of mine recently got engaged and she confessed that her boyfriend first proposed well over a year ago, but wasn't willing to spend more than a grand on the ring so she told him not to bother asking again until he'd "copped on". To me, that is beyond madness and totally missing the point of an engagement.

*If you've bought from a reputable dealer, most of whom will guarantee you the purchase price of the ring back should you ever want to trade it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tradition always dictated a month's salary,.
    nah
    The sale of diamond engagement rings continued to rise in the 1950s, and the marriage between romance and commerce that would characterize the American wedding for the next half-century was cemented. By 1965, 80 percent of American women had diamond engagement rings. The ring had become a requisite element of betrothal—as well as a very visible demonstration of status. Along the way, the diamond industry's guidelines for the "customary" cost of a ring doubled from one month's salary to two months' salary.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/weddings/2007/06/diamonds_are_a_girls_worst_friend.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I proposed with an engagement ring charm from Thomas Sabo because I couldn't afford a 'proper' ring, and I still wanted to propose, it was important to me, and to us at the time. The fact that she's not 'out' to a lot of her family means that for the time being, we need to be relatively discreet.

My girlfriend (feels too weird saying fiancee!!) loves it, and wears a diamondy ring she already had on her engagement finger now, when she can. She gave me a ring she used to wear back, but I'm allergic :o, so I just wear the commitment ring she gave me years ago.

When the times comes that we both have enough money to splash out on 'fancier' rings, then we will. We both would prefer manufactured diamonds- less of the ethical problems, less cost, and just as shiny!!! Hers will no doubt look very sparkly and traditional, whereas mine will probably be less so. It just suits us better.

In the end, people should do what they want. If that's wanting a €10,000 diamond encrusted whojamathing, then go for it. If it's wanting a handmade ring out of coconut shell, knock yourself out. No-one should judge. But I also feel people should really live within their means. I fail to see the point of getting yourself into ridiculous debt for the sake of appearances. All fur coat and no knickers, silly carry on!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't get why people think it's about vanity or being flashy when someone gets a diamond ring.
    Who are you to look down on someone else and judge their purchase. How do you know it's a waste? Why would they prefer to spend then money on a car? What's important to you is not important to someone else. That goes both ways.

Is it really that big of a deal for you to let someone be happy with their diamond ring? No one cares if you don't have one.

FWIW, I'd prefer the ring over the car. I'm married and didn't get an engagement ring. No one judged me or even mentioned it tbh. I will get one some day but where's the rush.

I think what some people take issue with is people placing more emphasis on the ring than the relationship, as though a bigger ring means he loves the girl more.

Personally I hate diamonds and I hate wearing rings so I deffo don't want an engagement ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I dislike diamond rings. Actually I don't really like rings in general. Never wear them, they irritate me. My Mother has her great grandmothers engagement ring that her Mother gave her when she turned 21. Bit of a family tradition. I never got it though because she knew I would just throw it in my room somewhere :rolleyes:

Whenever someone shows me their engagement rings I don't know what to say really. I usually just notice they have just got a manicure because they know they'll be showing it to loads of people, ha! And they usually cost a bomb. For a ring?! Do some women feel like they are worth however much the ring costs or something? Why do people like having loads of money spent on them for something so silly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Before the big advertising push in the 1920, ruby engagement rings were the most used.
    I know more people who don't have diamond engagement rings then who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My OH wants me to wear his grandmothers ring, I love the idea of having a part of family history and handing it down again after me.
    It's a beautiful ring and yes, it is diamond. But it's got such a significant emotional meaning behind it that we're looking past all that (he's very antidiamond trade)
    Before he told me about the ring I always imagined I'd end up with something like this but with an Amethyst stone (my favourite stone), I love having things a little different and really simple
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/76678881/wedding-ring-set-delicate-leaf?ref=pr_faveitems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have my grandmother's diamond engagement ring, if I hadn't inherited that I'd be picking something much smaller and cheaper, probably for about 5% the cost of this one! And I would pick a diamond for the very simple reason that much as I adore sapphires and emeralds I would be afraid I'd get sick of the colour, diamondy white goes with everything so can survive my fickle taste.

If anything happens this one I won't be getting it remade, the value this has is all sentimental, and while it is a stunning ring if it got lost I would just get a little ring to replace it. I totally agree that people waste so much money on a tiny object when they could buy cars, go on holidays!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know a good few women who didnt get an engagement ring. They just didnt see the need for an expensive piece of jewellery that they would never wear.

Any person who is judgemental over a friends engagement ring/lack of engagement ring is a horrible person in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I wouldn't choose a diamond engagement ring, and certainly wouldn't choose an expensive one.

The rings I've found are very "tokeny", silver or unusual handmade rings.

It seems that the women who are into the cooky cutter weddings (church, 100+ people in a hotel, flowers, cars, etc.) prefer the similarly common diamond rings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Just because someone is wearing a diamond ring it doesn’t mean it’s a blood diamond. All diamonds are meant to be certified – I know that there are problems with the Kimberley Process, but that is the general idea – you can check that sort of thing with your jeweller.

My brother’s fiancée felt very strongly about getting an ethical diamond, and she had one sourced from Namibia (nothing to do with my boyfriend, incidentally, it was just a coincidence that she got one from the country he lives in) and then had it made into a ring with recycled platinum. She said she found it a bit strange though that whenever people heard they were engaged the first thing they wanted to see was the ring, and then they were often puzzled when she said it hadn’t arrived yet (my brother proposed with a family ring because he knew she’d want to choose a ring with him, but it was too big for her tiny fingers so she just went ring-free until her own one had been made). She said it was almost like people didn’t believe they were really engaged because she didn’t have a ring yet :confused: I would have thought that the fact they’d agreed to get married meant they were engaged, whether or not she had a piece of jewellery on?

I do also think it’s interesting how against synthetic diamonds some people are... Somehow it is less ‘romantic’ having one grown in a lab rather than having a diamond from the earth’s mantle, despite the fact that a synthetic diamond will have less flaws and is cheaper. The only way anyone would be able to tell the difference is through spectroscopy, and yet they’re seen as inferior - is this due to snobbery/marketing/something else?

Fishie wrote: »
    and yet they’re seen as inferior - is this due to snobbery/marketing/something else?

there are people who think they're "fake", "pieces of plastic", etc... so I'm going to guess marketing and ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I prefer rubies & sapphires to diamonds & love antique rings. Not a fan of huge showy diamond engagement rings & they wouldn't suit my skinny fingers anyway.

And the "having" to spend three months' wages thing is lunacy IMO. I'd kill my boyfriend if he spent that much on a ring for me. I'd also be scared to wear the bloody thing if it was worth that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I prefer rubies & sapphires to diamonds & love antique rings. Not a fan of huge showy diamond engagement rings & they wouldn't suit my skinny fingers anyway.

And the "having" to spend three months' wages thing is lunacy IMO. I'd kill my boyfriend if he spent that much on a ring for me. I'd also be scared to wear the bloody thing if it was worth that much!

That is something that really shocks me!
    I have a few pieces of jewelry worth over €100 and sometimes, depending on where I am, I get concerned wearing them.
    There is no way I would feel comfortable wearing a piece of jewelry worth more than a few hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Jeez relax, maybe you should have a look at my original post again. My whole point is that women shouldn't be judged for not wearing a diamond but most women would be snide about it.
    Why then do you think anyone here is judging someone else for wearing one? That'd be pretty hypocritical. Show me where I made any reference to any such opinion? I didn't.

Anyway, good to see that not everyone is of the opinion that it must be a diamond or worth X amount of salary! I love amethyst myself. I've heard of manufactured diamonds too, sounds interesting.

I think passing rings down through the generations is a lovely thing to do and adds great sentimental value..something money can't buy;)

Advertisement