Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Phones vs iPhone

• 31-03-2012 5:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I saw this video posted on a guys facebook. It's pretty compelling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

I'm not that familiar with iPhone. Is the guy posting a factual description of Android vs IOS or is he embellishing it. If he's not embellishing it you'd wonder why people buy iPhones at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Pretty much spot on that is, people buy iPhones because they have the best and most aggressive marketing and the basic functions work out of the box, the majority who have used both platforms would most likely prefer Android,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The reason I got an iPhone is because I don't know enough about how to go about getting the best out of a device. I intend to use this time to learn and then get an android.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    The reason I got an iPhone is because I don't know enough about how to go about getting the best out of a device. I intend to use this time to learn and then get an android.

Yeh. With iPhone theres one version a year and they work out of the box. No choice or decisions just tell your carrier you want one.

Android = constant upgrades = risk of outdating/ no updates for old phones. Choice in phone and need set it up.

Basically iphone is simple. I had both, android is better imo. Much better design, especially with HTC Sense/Samsung Touchwiz UI. A lot more customisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

multimate wrote: »
    Yeh. With iPhone theres one version a year and they work out of the box. No choice or decisions just tell your carrier you want one.

Android = constant upgrades = risk of outdating/ no updates for old phones. Choice in phone and need set it up.

Basically iphone is simple. I had both, android is better imo. Much better design, especially with HTC Sense/Samsung Touchwiz UI. A lot more customisable.

I wouldn't call HTC Sense or Samsung Touchwiz better design, bloat more like. Latest Ice Cream Sandwich is lovely, and added crap just ruins the effect completely

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I wouldn't call HTC Sense or Samsung Touchwiz better design, bloat more like. Latest Ice Cream Sandwich is lovely, and added crap just ruins the effect completely

I agree ICS does look nice, much better than eclair, froyo and gingerbread.

iPhone is too plain and has no flair, its too simple, htc sense + gingerbread = hands down better than iphone or normal pre-ics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Rezident

I'd expect Android to take over in the not too distant future and as someone who has bought several apple products in the past I know they are overpriced for the hardware you get but I have found apple products to 'just work' better in general especially for non-enthusiasts e.g. my girlfriend has spent the last few days trying (unsuccessfully, and she's actually fairly computer literate) to move everything from her HTC to her new phone (both android) and it's just not happening over google (some things transfer, others don't, some works over bluetooth some doesn't).

But in fairness to apple, any transfers have been seemless for me (until you try to do something apple doesn't want you to do and you get the infuriating: we absolutely must delete everything on your iphone to do that. I mean why!?).

IC sandwich sounds good though, may go for that next. Cheers for the video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

the price of iphones is ridiculous too, i pity the people who own 32gig models.

the worst thing about users is their 'denial' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not really though. On the Meteor site they list iPhone4 "from €49", whereas the Galaxy Nexus is "from €119", and the SGS2 "from €129".

That's quite a leap and makes the iPhone much more alluring.

Don't really see the sense of the prices. The order is exactly reversed from the pay-as-you-go or Sim-Free price... and I guess they must be getting some kick-back from Apple for the massive iPhone price cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Goodshape wrote: »
    Not really though. On the Meteor site they list iPhone4 "from €49", whereas the Galaxy Nexus is "from €119", and the SGS2 "from €129".

That's quite a leap and makes the iPhone much more alluring.

Don't really see the sense of the prices. The order is exactly reversed from the pay-as-you-go or Sim-Free price... and I guess they must be getting some kick-back from Apple for the massive iPhone price cut.

Yeah but look at the monthly cost... Iphone is €49 with a 2 year contract at €45 per month minimum, which gives a total cost of €1129. The gs2 is €149 with an 18 month contract at €20 per month minimum, which gives a total cost of €509

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

alanucc wrote: »
    Yeah but look at the monthly cost... Iphone is €49 with a 2 year contract at €45 per month minimum, which gives a total cost of €1129. The gs2 is €149 with an 18 month contract at €20 per month minimum, which gives a total cost of €509

Oh right, that explains it then :). I bet lots of people still go for the "less money now" option.

I guess mobile networks aren't known for their consistent, fair or sane price plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

alanucc wrote: »

Not sure where you saw that deal for the Galaxy Nexus, but I see either €20.33 or €25.41 per month for 18 months + €329 up front from Meteor. So thats 20.33*18+329 => €695. Also, with any smartphone you are going to need a contract really so, so at the end of the 18months you are going to need a new contact (but you do get a new phone :D). But that would work out at €817 for 24 months on that contact.

Still considerable better than the iPhone deal, except the iPhone deal has €5GB of data per month instead of 500MB, so it depends on whether you would think you would use that much data. I know I am usually less than 1GB (wifi at home, wifi in works helps), so I would go for the €25.33 per month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

I saw this video posted on a guys facebook. It's pretty compelling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

I'm not that familiar with iPhone. Is the guy posting a factual description of Android vs IOS or is he embellishing it. If he's not embellishing it you'd wonder why people buy iPhones at all.

He might be making good points but by god his voice is annoying...

Advertisement