Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNT overclocking

• 07-10-2001 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I have overclocked my TNT i was just wondering what would be the best benchmark for me to run to test the stability of the card at these higher speeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Folks,

I don't think there's any sure way to test stability other than to just use your computer a lot. If it's unstable, the graphics will garble and perhaps the machine will crash a lot.

Measure stability in crashes/month.

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Try running a 3D first person shooter like Quake III, running it's time demoes repeatedly. Look for graphical glitches... they'll appear like "snow"... this is a sign of overheating or, er, worse.

Try running 3DMark2000 over and over and over again. You might also try 3DMark2001... don't know the rest of your spec so I can't tell if it will work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I tried 3D mark 2001 but it doexnt work well .But i managed to get me core from 90-118 and me memory from 110-122 which improved me score from 462-495
    By the way i have a P2 450 with 320 mb of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Obviously an upgrade is not a feasible option for you if you are looking to overclock the card, but a tnt with a 90mhz core is v.bad :(

You need a new cpu and gfx card to expect any kind of a decent performance increase, you would be better off with a new cpu before the gfx card also ;)

If you do want to overclock it, you need some extra cooling, try get an old socket 370 fan and take it off it's heatsink and screw it on top of the core/heatsink of the gfx card, your motherboard should have a connection for it if your lucky :| then overclock.....by overclocking the card alone you will only gain a max of 5fps at a wild guess could only be 1 and if you overclock too much you may see a performance decrease........your real bottleneck is the cpu, try overclock that instead if you want performance, also try overclock your ram from within the bios, set ras-cas delay to 2, precharge time 2 etc hclk+33 if available. Likewise, I'd advise you get a few spare fans you have lying around or think about whether your money would be better spent on buying fans or a new cpu and/or gfx card..........gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by BabyEater
    I tried 3D mark 2001 but it doexnt work well .But i managed to get me core from 90-118 and me memory from 110-122 which improved me score from 462-495
    By the way i have a P2 450 with 320 mb of ram
    The point wasn't to examine the scores, but to look for snow! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

when overclocking the TNT i put a cocket 7 fan onto the heatsink another above the other side of the card .I also put an exaust fan beside it an another exaust in the slot proveided on me case just above it .As u can see i had a few fans lying around :) .
    I would love to overclock me CPU but i cant change the FSB in me bios and i dont know how else i would go about changing it .If yis know any other way i would be appreciative of any feedback.
    As for buying components for me pc that is highly unlikely as i am majorly broke.
    Thanks for the replys

Advertisement