Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big without planning permission.

• 11-04-2012 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi to all iam looking to get a simple question answered,i think simple,how big of a garage can i build in my back garden without planning permission.I live in ballybrack in the dun laoghaire area of dublin in a semi detatched house.The garden is 8.5 meters squarded in size of free space .Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A garage is covered in
    CLASS 3

The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure.

Provided
    1. No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.

2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

3. The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

4. The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

5. The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.

6. The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tapout2001

Thats great info mate thank you can i ask were you got that.

Thank you your a gent ive gotten refused planning permission twice and refused one appeal with an bord pleanala, all for a garage 6 meters squared by 10foot.They obviously have nothing to be doing these days but stopping us decent people from pumping money back into the economy.

36 square metres floor area x 3m high garage doesn't seem excessive, but you'll have to come down in size for it to be exempted development.

• Advertisement

If i build 5 square meters by 10 foot would i be ok,thanks for you help iam just frustrated at this stage its not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 45,798 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tapout2001 wrote: »
    If i build 5 square meters by 10 foot
    Should that read 5m x 5m x 3m high?

What were the reasons cited for the previous refusals?

Sorry i mean that,the reasons were the shape of it cause it didnt match the surrounding builings but that would be hard i live in a 3 story,also i would set an example for others but thats rubbish cause 27 out of 30 houses have extensions and 4 are bigger than what i wanted.Also no one objected

• Subscribers Posts: 40,922 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tapout, firstly... keep your measurements in metric so people dont get confused.

you can build 25 sq m (internal floor area) without permission

so thats 5m x 5m, or whatever dimensions which equates to 25 sq m.

most importantly... the external finishes MUST be similar or the same as the dwelling it serves.... a flat roof is allowed up to a max of 3 m high.

If its a pitched roof, then theres a max 4 m restriction, and the roof finish must be "similar" to the roof of the house. there are situations where it has been accepted that a profiled sheeting finish has been accepted as long as the profile matches the roof finish.

If the house is brick, the walls of the shed must look like brick, if rendered, then they must look rendered.

Thanks sydthebeat ,so i actually get 25 sq m inside the garage,as opposed to been the total overall size.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,922 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes, its the total internal floor area.

Advertisement