Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Owen wrote: »
    So yeah, I'm home from my date. And it was awesome. Sitting here smiling like a moron. And she's agreed to a second date, which is even more awesome again.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

18AD wrote: »
    AD's top tips.

Don't mention psychoanalysis.
    Don't mention emotional blackmail.

:p

On the plus side. One compliment is usually well received. Ask about something on their profile and mention something about yourself that might have to do with that.

Have tried that each time. Not a sausage. I do think it has something to do with having a disability. If they're not prepared to look past that(which they don't seem to be), then **** 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I'm not posting in this thread anymore, since I've been out with a very lovely guy a a lot lately. We both closed profiles, and we're longer online dating... we're just dating :o

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

It has come to my attention that the average 40 year old man (give or take 4 or 5 years) has forgotten what the concept of dating is. It seems that most of them think that I want to move in with them once I say that I am not interested in ONS/NSA. There needs to be an advertising or education thingie to remind them what dating is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Are many people still on that?? Never had one date out of that site and my profile was WAY better than my POF one! Not that my POF one is bad ... Ahem :) I still have an active okc but it's a skeleton profile.. Would you recommend going back?

Nah not really, I just log in and out cos I likes the questions on it tbh. :pac:
    The graph is fecked though - it told me I'm more mathematical. Ffs, I couldn't do my sisters 6th class homework the other day! :pac:

It's got better quality than POF (ie folks can usually type a little more than "livin 4 da weeknd nd getin smashd wiv da bois"!), but there's waaay less people.

• Advertisement

Stellar month for me... I have been lied to, invited to a 3some, asked if I want a servant/slave (I'm not completely anti that idea, especially if it gets my house sorted out :cool: ), met my first bad kisser and have been offered casual s3x on a daily basis (sometimes more than once a day)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

LoTwan wrote: »
    Stellar month for me... I have been lied to, invited to a 3some, asked if I want a servant/slave (I'm not completely anti that idea, especially if it gets my house sorted out :cool: ), met my first bad kisser and have been offered casual s3x on a daily basis (sometimes more than once a day)

What a month for you.lucky lady ;) men,such charmers haha

I've been quite lucky oddly enough(a change from my norm!)
    met one guy, he didnt want anything serious so the "lets be friends" thing came up, which i meant cuz hes very funny and sound and we still are mates.met up for a cuppa and a chat yesterday! him aside, I met an AMAZING guy a few weeks back. we are taking it slow but its going pretty well at the mo...happy face :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So...

Date went well last night. We're having a picnic date this weekend... Having organised that, I know the weather is gonna turn out like this:

tornado-thunder-and-lightning-picture-2.jpg

:pac:

The fine weather seems to be bringing out the best in the 40ish male dater :) I have a few interested bodies which is nice and it looks like I have a busy weekend ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

LoTwan wrote: »

I'm really really sorry about all of that. I'm working through my issues with my counsellor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Whoo I'm back but no more chit chat from me.

Anyway, My OD experience is going downhill fast! I am still receiving a number of e-mails a day but most of them don't interest me.

I'm hoping some guy will just approach me in a sober setting one day and sweep me off my feet.

So much effort and time goes into OD and so far for me it hasn't been worth it.

I'm still getting the sleezy messages and messages from older married men. I actually like older men just wish some single ones would contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I honestly don't have a clue what to say in a message when/if I find someone who I'm attracted to on POF:rolleyes::o:confused:

I just pick stuff from their profile and go with that. Unfortunately some girls put so little information on their profile it's a bit like trying to play pin the tail on the donkey. You simply have no clue. I'm guessing these are the one's complaining that they get the wrong types of messages too :rolleyes:

Things are going ok for me. I haven't heard anything from the girl I went out with last Sunday other than her replies to my few texts at the end of the night. Not massively surprised and not disappointed either. There's actually another girl I got talking to on OC a few weeks back and got her number but hadn't got around to actually meeting up, but she's sort of been at the back of my mind all along. Was talking to her again yesterday so we're going to meet up next week probably.

Strangely enough another girl on OC mailed me last night and seems quite chatty and interested. However I'm probably not going to pursue anyone else for the time being and see how things go next week.

The girl who was sending me the slightly weird texts, text me again last night in the wee small hours. However it was a rather normal text saying it was obvious things weren't working and it was better to leave it and wished me all the best. That seemed nice and normal but it had me thinking, could you not have acted like that all along!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PerrDub

Have hidden my POF profile now, time to take a break! Same sorta mails all the time, and then the arranging of dates, which fall into a couple of different categories.

Coffee Date: Quick and simple, only have to last as long as it takes to drink the coffee, car or bike can be waiting outside for a quick escape.
    Problem with it is, if you want to stay, how many cups of coffee can you drink in an hour!? Though in my expierience coffee dates are like 1st interviews, i.e. nerves and you can't wait to escape!

Dinner date: a lot less casual than coffee dates, at least you have to make an extra effort to dress more smartly than for the above. Problem being is that if the person you are meeting does not take your fancy when face to face or the conversation goes flat, then you are stuck there until dessert!

Drinks: the old favorite! Meet up, try and look well for the pub, esp. on a Friday or Saturday night. A few drinks can ease the 1st date nerves. Only thing is i have found that people i have dated who were not into me would not say so as they had made the effort to get done up and go out, so usually lead to a handshake and "it was nice meeting you" at 1am!

PerrDub wrote: »
    Have hidden my POF profile now, time to take a break! Same sorta mails all the time, and then the arranging of dates, which fall into a couple of different categories.

Coffee Date: Quick and simple, only have to last as long as it takes to drink the coffee, car or bike can be waiting outside for a quick escape.
    Problem with it is, if you want to stay, how many cups of coffee can you drink in an hour!? Though in my expierience coffee dates are like 1st interviews, i.e. nerves and you can't wait to escape!

Dinner date: a lot less casual than coffee dates, at least you have to make an extra effort to dress more smartly than for the above. Problem being is that if the person you are meeting does not take your fancy when face to face or the conversation goes flat, then you are stuck there until dessert!

Drinks: the old favorite! Meet up, try and look well for the pub, esp. on a Friday or Saturday night. A few drinks can ease the 1st date nerves. Only thing is i have found that people i have dated who were not into me would not say so as they had made the effort to get done up and go out, so usually lead to a handshake and "it was nice meeting you" at 1am!

I would never agree to dinner as a first date. I remember one girl kind of wanted to go for dinner and I was very hesitant and said lets just get a drink. She was kinda persistent but I held my ground and she agreed to go for a drink and it was just as well. She basically turned her nose up at me as soon as she saw me.

I think going for a drink is the best as it gives you the option of leaving after one, or staying the whole night. Although from some of the profiles I've read, some girls find that too "normal" and are looking for something much more "exciting". I usually click the back button and look at another profile when I start to read lists of demands like that :cool:

I have left the "first date" blank.

I've heard of losts of girls using this just to get brought out for a meal etc.

Personally I prefer something really casual, coffee, walk etc. I would never go for a meal on the first date, would find it too uncomfortable, plus with my experience to date I'd be dying to escape.

blacklilly wrote: »
    I have left the "first date" blank.

I've heard of losts of girls using this just to get brought out for a meal etc.

Personally I prefer something really casual, coffee, walk etc. I would never go for a meal on the first date, would find it too uncomfortable, plus with my experience to date I'd be dying to escape.

Same thing as drinks in a pub, some would expect you to pay, which could end up being quite expensive if they are a dipso!

Same thing as drinks in a pub, some would expect you to pay, which could end up being quite expensive if they are a dipso!

That's where if you're not interested you need to make it clear and exit. You're not a free night out for any woman.

I usually let the guy buy the first round but will always offer/buy the second round, equality and all that.

Meeting someone for the first time from od can be daunting and expensive so I suggest coffee, walk etc, coffee is not expensive and walking is free

Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!

The mistake is to buy all the drinks. Definitely go 50/50, if not, leave after the 2nd drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

G-Money wrote: »
    The mistake is to buy all the drinks. Definitely go 50/50, if not, leave after the 2nd drink.
    I agree. I always go 50/50 on my dates. If they let you go to the bar twice without offering to buy a drink, walk away!
    I would be slow to go for a walk on a first date for security reasons. Depends on where you go I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Agree with the others I would never let somebody pay for the drinks all night interested or not. I always buy my fair share of rounds. Nothing worse if the persons not interested and you've spent so much for nothing. They'd probably except you to pay all the time aswell after that.

Went on date 3 the other night and well it didn't go great at all. It was very awkward it felt very much like a 1st date with somebody id never met before. Hadn't heard from him all week and just thought I'd send him a text a hey how are you one, pretty much sent it just to see what his response would be since he was quite distant that night. Got nada not a thing. Never understood that you go out with somebody a few times and then nothing. Would it kill them to just say 'look had a nice time with you the times we went out but don't think it will go anywhere....' Nah just easier to ignore you.

On a side note a guy I went on a date with over a month ago who seemed nice thought it went well then heard nothing and didn't think much about it well he text me yesterday! Seriously what's up with that?? Obviously the other dates he had didn't go so well so thought he'd get back in touch with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, I spoke too soon anyway ... packing in this whole online dating thing for another few weeks, too many messers altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, I spoke too soon anyway ... packing in this whole online dating thing for another few weeks, too many messers altogether.

Ah FFS! :mad: Sorry to hear that man.

Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!

And YAY for the weather. I am going for a walk tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

When i first setup an online dating account i felt horrible when i was messed about but now it doesn't bother me and i just move on. Just take it easy and don't expect anything that's what i does.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Hi all. Short term lurker and first time poster on here :).

After reading this (and the previous) thread, I decided to give it a shot for the craic. I threw up a profile on POF last week but had no photo up. Only private and even though I sent it with my PMs to a few girls on there, I had no joy so far.

I put the pic up public just now so I fully expect to get a ribbing from someone that recognises me soon lol :D.

I spoke too soon. Walk got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Found myself with unexpected free time yesterday so had myself an impromptu date last night. Beats waiting 'til Monday I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Found myself with unexpected free time yesterday so had myself an impromptu date last night. Beats waiting 'til Monday I suppose.

Where'd you go/do etc etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement