Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solium Infernum

• 13-03-2012 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have Solium Infernum ?
    Its one of those games I've been tempted to buy but just never got around too.
    In particular anyone played it via pbem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

I've been tempted to get it myself since the guys on RPS did a playthrough. For me I think the difficulty would be finding a few people who would stick to the end of the game.

Seems full of delightful back-stabbery!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Possibly worth getting for multiplayer (and I think the RPS forums has a resident thread for that) but it's not a single player game

Well I picked it up today, anyone interested in a pbem game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Halfway through the RPS writeup, I've bought it and downloading it now. Looks awesome and for twenty quid, well, can't go wrong.
    Probably want to play through single player a bit to get a feel for it. But definitely down for some pbm

Edit: Playing a single player now. Might just be me, but the AI is taking forever.

• Advertisement

Yeah the AI is dog slow, hopefully with just humans playing that will not be the case.

Well, other than the whole waiting for emails etc.

Haven't lookred at the no side, is there a way to put a timelimit on how long to take a turn or else you forfeit.

I guess that's something we can self rule on actually.

I'll take a look at the multiplayer side tonight, see what the options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noctilucus

Just happened to come across this thread.
    Wonderful game, I've only discovered this a few months ago but I'm happy I did.
    I would strongly recommend playing through a few single player games before attempting PBEM, so you have a solid idea of the game mechanics. People are much, much, much more sneaky and devious than the AI (even in the latest expansion) and I'm saying that based on 3 multiplayer games so far :D

In my experience the AI is particularly slow in the first turns, later on it seems to go a bit faster. In PBEM this doesn't really matter as processing your own turn goes much faster and I haven't heard any hosts complaining about the time to process the entire turn.
    There's no automatic way to put a time limit on submitting turns. Just ensure you've got a good communication between all of you (e.g. warning in case of expected absence or delays). Worst case, there's a way of replacing a human player by an AI during the game.

*edit: while I don't have any experience hosting a PBEM game, I am currently playing my third game so feel free to ask any questions, I may or may not be able to answer*

We've hosted a good number of pbem game though not Solium Infernum.
    So who's up for a pbem game ? 4+ players would seem a good number to me.

• Advertisement

Me me me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kermaneukku

Me me also.

If we can get one more its a runner.

/waits eagerly... And plans, mwah ha ha ha.

Right lets do this evil.gif

Unless anyone else wants to I'm happy to process the turns, we'll look to get this kicked off with initial stuff posted either sunday or monday.

If you've suggestions on how you want it set-up now's the time to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Im in...but will have no idea what I am doing!

Great!

I suggest we use dropbox to distribute the turns. Do you all have it? If not, install it - it's mighty simple.

I'll be absent between Monday and Friday and may not be able to play (not sure yet), so I'm afraid we're going to have to start this with a pause :( Sorry about that.

I would prefer using the expansion, playing without the setting that gives prestige for land, and normal length. But I'm flexible.

Not fussy on the details.

I'd suggest we play via the forum, which is how we've done Civ pbem games which has worked out pretty good. It works well for keeping track of the games and provides a place to rub the salt in :)

I'm happy to wait until next friday since we've gone this long, plus it'll give us time to run though a test game to see how best to manage it.

I'm back. Shall we commence the diabolics, gentlepeople?

• Advertisement

I'm back. Shall we commence the diabolics, gentlepeople?

Yes we shall, I'll create the game tomorrow and send out the invites.

Can't wait.

OK, tried to start a game but I'm getting an "object expected" error, seems other are getting as well. Someone else fancy hosting the game perhaps they'll have more luck, it could be my setup here that's doing it.

I could run it (although I have never done it before). I seem to need your email addresses first, though - is this correct? It asks for the addresses in the host a game -dialog.

If I do this, I would like everybody to use dropbox. It makes things a fair bit simpler for me. You can get it through here: http://db.tt/ZjeHDca

Edit: We can still use the forum for the discussion, obviously - dropbox would just be for the file transfers.

You don't need emails, just put the names of the various players in there.
    I believe the process is.
    1) you create the game
    2) send invites out to each player
    3) we send/upload our turns
    4) you collate them and then run your turn
    5) you post the resulting turn file which is retrieved by the players.

then its simply step 3 through 5 from this point onwards.

This wiki entry explains it: http://si.battlespot.com/wiki/Multi_Player_Guide

Yes, good, I got it to work. I now have the invitation files I should send you. Please get dropbox, everyone, and send me the email address you used to create the dropbox account. If you use this link [ http://db.tt/ZjeHDca ], I should be able to get your information without you sending it to me. After all is done, I'll share a folder with you, and there you will find your invitation file (and later your turn files).

Rev Hellfire has PM'd me his dropbox email and gotten his invite file. Nevore and Lister, I choose you.

Never used it before, so went with your invite link.

Everyone has access to their invitation now, and Rev Hellfire has already uploaded his first turn file. Let's do this thang. If you have problems moving forward, ask away.

Thanks for bothering with the dropbox, by the way - this makes my life a lot easier, as I can almost fully automate the turn processing procedures using a sync program rather than having to individually download the files from the forum or somesuch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Hellfire dropping down to me later so he should be able to set me up with whats needed....

Advertisement