Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleedin Statues

• 18-11-2009 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever been to see one? I have yet to witness the miracles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

No bleeding statues. I have been brought to see "moving" statues before though. They were surprisingly static.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

When I was a kid there was a church closeish called Grantstown,some youngwan from Cork came alongand claimed to have visions whenever she sat in the Grotto near the statue of Mary or somesuch,big media circus descended on the parish fora few weeks then most people gotover the initial excitement and mob fervour, realised it was most likely utter bollox and tried to forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I went to Ballyspittle (sp) when I was a kid - Very, very strange. Thousands of people standing around staring at a bit of stone.

I also went to the moving statue in Mount Mellery also, that one was nicer, slightly mysterious place.

A very stupid time in the history of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I really dont know if they exist to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not personally no, but I read one story of a statue in a church, which was crying blood. They had the blood tested and it turns it it was the same blood as that of the old woman who lived in the building/the curator.

But sure god works in mysterious ways

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I knew a French girl who had "stigmata".

Of course it was complete nonsense - and like Padre Pio self-inflicted. I saw the "stigmata" - it looked like broken blood vessels under skin. They came and went.

She was extremist Catholic and a ferocious anti-semite. She was a loon.

I did know someone who was a non-believer who took his mother and wife to Melery - and the Vargin Mary appeared to him as he was outside having a smoke. Something did happen to him, whether a hallucination or the like - he was pale as ghost for about three weeks and in a daze - whatever happened gave him a serious shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I went to Ballyspittle (sp) when I was a kid - Very, very strange. Thousands of people standing around staring at a bit of stone.

I also went to the moving statue in Mount Mellery also, that one was nicer, slightly mysterious place.

A very stupid time in the history of Ireland...

IIRC the Ballinspittle statues were moving around the time of the Kerry babies case, which was a time of national trauma, especially for females.

So, I wonder if the alleged apparitions by the Blessed Virgin Mary were some sort of imagined manifestation of that trauma.

(I lifted this theory straight from Robert Anton Wilson's 'Coincidance')

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

WindSock wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to see one? I have yet to witness the miracles.

I saw a crying - not a bleeding - statue of Virgin Mary on a 1986 episode of my favourite TV show, Only Fools and Horses.

But that was only because Del Boy had nicked the lead from the church's roof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Batsy wrote: »
    I saw a crying - not a bleeding - statue of Virgin Mary on a 1986 episode of my favourite TV show, Only Fools and Horses.

But that was only because Del Boy had nicked the lead from the church's roof.

Great episode, good times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Great episode, good times

It makes me laugh just thinking about that episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I went to see the famous moving statue in my area in the 90's. However, when I got there the statue was gone but there was a note that said "gone for a fag break, back in ten", but I couldn't hang around as I had to get to school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭squonk

Was anything ever proved or disproved about those statues, like the Ballinspittle thing? I was a bit young when it was all kicking off so I don't remember too much about it. I was about 10 or 11 so sort of took what I was told to be true. Now, obviously, not :). Was it ever categorically proved that something did happen or was it shown up as bollox?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

squonk wrote: »
    Was anything ever proved or disproved about those statues, like the Ballinspittle thing? I was a bit young when it was all kicking off so I don't remember too much about it. I was about 10 or 11 so sort of took what I was told to be true. Now, obviously, not :). Was it ever categorically proved that something did happen or was it shown up as bollox?

Yeah, there was a weird sort of mania around that time. I remember a load of us lads heading off to someplace around Easkey, Sligo for a laugh. As we neared the place that moonlit night, we saw lots of people heading up a long dark path. Then we suddenly saw lights as we turned a bend - chip vans and those stalls that sell rosaries and religious charms.

It was weird, but later on as people were standing in this field, some of them in circles saying prayers and stuff, there was a sudden gasp as a small red light lit up near a dark hedgerow - someone lighting a fag...

Soon after, it got very very very dark, and then....it got suddenly brighter....the moon came back out from behind the clouds. Never saw any virgin in Easkey since either...ah well.

Advertisement