Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaxial cable suitable for digital tv and broadband

• 20-05-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭

Im moving around a few cables in the house, currently theres sky cables coming through the front wall downstairs, along some skirting boards, over doors etc, messy looking,

I'm gonna bring the cable under the facia board, through the attic and drop through the hot press etc.

I also have a similarly messy setup with my UPC cables, where I plan on running them along the same route,

Thing is, I'm not sure if there are different specs of coaxial cable for ED3 broadband or whether they're all the same.

The cabling from the network to my house was about 25 years old so I'm thinking maybe it doesn't make too much difference, just want to check before buying,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

All the cable is the same. The best quality is branded cable with copper screen and centre core solid copper. It is expensive.

See this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056526781

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

I got upc broadband in last year. The cable they gave me was too short from entry point of house to where my pc was (in a different room like)

So i used the coax cable i got with my soarview aerial that was left over. Did the job perfectly. Im no expert but from what I gather coax is coax, broadband or satellite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cheaper coax has more losses, and cheaper screening which causes more chance of interference.

The results of cheap coax are the same. It may be perfect in your case but if the signal is on the limits you may:

1) Signal dropping causing freezing etc
    2) Interference from DECT cordless telephones, particularly on channel 4 on Sat
    3) Broadband signal dropping or connecting at a slower rate than possible.

If you have the proper gear you can measure this, but most people do not have access to it. The basic measure is Signal to Noise. Cheap coax increases the noise and reduces the signal. Very, very cheap coax is terrible in this regard.

colm_mcm wrote: »

According to here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263457

Yes. For long runs, on a budget, B&Q is probably not the cheapest, but at least it's not like the leads sold in powercity!

• Advertisement

See I don't want to go to a local type hardware store as I don't know if they'd know the difference between the types, any suggestions for the Clare/limerick area?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

colm_mcm wrote: »
    See I don't want to go to a local type hardware store as I don't know if they'd know the difference between the types, any suggestions for the Clare/limerick area?

Urlan TV on Clare St in Limerick.

Are they still in business?

Will check them out, they'd def know what theyre at.

imagekua.jpg

As you can see the current setup isn't what you'd call elegant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

WF100 is the best compromise but its bend radii need to be kept fairly large; no kinks.
    If you want a more elegant solution, WF65-1 is suitable for short runs and can be bent fairly tightly around corners.

• Advertisement

Thanks, there won't be any bends.

Gonna hit the shops and see what I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Late to the thread but PF100 is an excellent cable if you can get hold of it .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I took the lazy/smart route and buried the cables behind the skirting and under the door, no cable required :)

Thanks for the input though, I'll need more cable for putting a point upstairs so at least I know what I'm after now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Best place in Limerick for any cable is electrical factors in the eastern business park.

Coming from town...head out the Tipperary road and turn into the eastern business park just after eircom on the rite...continue to top of the road and u will come to a t junction...turn left and its the first building on the right hand side.

Advertisement