Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking To Start A Songwriting/Singing Group in Dublin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm talking about more of the songwriting part. Rather than an open mic night.

At first the whole thing doesn't have to be that concrete. Whatever works everyone.

I liked the idea of a rehearsal room. More freer to do stuff - doing it in a more public place you might have people wondering "WTF are these guys up to".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭TheFiveLamps

krd wrote: »
    I'm talking about more of the songwriting part. Rather than an open mic night.

At first the whole thing doesn't have to be that concrete. Whatever works everyone.

I liked the idea of a rehearsal room. More freer to do stuff - doing it in a more public place you might have people wondering "WTF are these guys up to".

Well unless someone can provide a rehearsal room that option is t available.

Unless people are willing to contribute a fee per week in order to pay for one.

Who cares what people wander?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

At first, I think it would be best to meet up and introduce ourselves and discuss our experiences and offer tips and tricks about songwriting and performing.

I would be surprised if anyone wants to sing the first time we meet.

Any pub would be ideal for an initial meeting, from there, we could plan the next get together and after the 3rd or so meeting, a well structured culture/atmosphere would naturally form.

Does that sound good to anyone?

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I like that idea^

Is it okay if I tag along even though I'm not a songwriter? :) I'm an ASPIRING songwriter, and have struggled to put my thoughts into a song, but would love to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catbird

This sounds like a brilliant idea , if this goes ahead count me in

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    I like that idea^

Is it okay if I tag along even though I'm not a songwriter? :) I'm an ASPIRING songwriter, and have struggled to put my thoughts into a song, but would love to get into it.

If you can speak, have a vague idea how to play a note on an instrument - I can show you techniques to create a song. I may not be able to unstruggle your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

yeah thats a plan.

if folk could mail me what day suits and i can try find a happy medium or if people would prefer that i just arrange a day/time?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Heya

Sounds like a plan to meet somewhere first and see what we can come up with regarding where and when to host this

Might I suggest somewhere in town next week? How about Wednesday 22nd Feb at 8pm in The Stags Head? Or any other suggestions welcome, can't really think of another bar right now. We could always meet for coffee!

Whoops

Only saw your post there marky mark, will PM you

yeah thats a plan.

if folk could mail me what day suits and i can try find a happy medium or if people would prefer that i just arrange a day/time?

Why private message business.

A group hasn't even formed yet and I'm getting a feeling you've already put yourself in charge.

Next Wednesday at some place like the Stags head would be good. Is 8 too early - I don't want to turn and be hanging around for an hour and half before someone else straggles in.

Though, it can get crowded, and it's 15 quid a pint. Sheebeen Chic (if it's still open) might be a better idea. They might let us go downstairs, which is usually empty.

I'd like to bring my guitar - though I may not even use it -

Though this thing should be relaxed and informal, as I would imagine, people could be nervous about this kind of thing. As long as two or three people turn up, it will be worth doing. I'd like to meet FiveLamps

How about a hands up? I'm going :) .......But where and when am I going.

• Advertisement

In fairness someone needs to organise it, or it'll end up with everyone suggesting different things and nothing gets done!

I'm a maybe :)

p.s. I do drink, just in case the mod thing throws ye off :p
    <

I'll PM or publicly post.
    I'll be free on Wednesday 22nd of Feb. I'd need to rush myself for 8 but perhaps 8.30 would be better for me so I'll be there wherever then.

Dave! wrote: »
    In fairness someone needs to organise it, or it'll end up with everyone suggesting different things and nothing gets done!

Or a consensus is arrived at quickly. Wednesday night somewhere in the city centre is looking like the consensus.

Somewhere where we can have a chat. This something I've wanted to do for a while and I'm sure others have too. Meet people who have a similar interest. Swap ideas.
    I'm a maybe :)

You may as well. You could get a lot out of it.
    p.s. I do drink, just in case the mod thing throws ye off :p
    <

Bring your guitar case - except have it stuffed with a bottle of vodka and few cans of red bull, instead of the banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

A group hasn't even formed yet and I'm getting a feeling you've already put yourself in charge.

You could have achieved the same result without knocking someone for trying to help!

The same could be said about some of your own posts!
    Good luck with this to all involved!

yeah thats a plan.

Next Wednesday at some place like the Stags head would be good. Is 8 too early - I don't want to turn and be hanging around for an hour and half before someone else straggles in.

Though, it can get crowded, and it's 15 quid a pint. Sheebeen Chic (if it's still open) might be a better idea. They might let us go downstairs, which is usually empty.

I'd like to bring my guitar - though I may not even use it -

Though this thing should be relaxed and informal, as I would imagine, people could be nervous about this kind of thing. As long as two or three people turn up, it will be worth doing. I'd like to meet FiveLamps

How about a hands up? I'm going :) .......But where and when am I going.

Excuse me?

Considering I was the OP I thought I'd organise it! I'm hardly going to create a thread/idea then leave the work to someone else.

I asked people to private message because some people don't like posting their personal lives all over Internet forums. what days they work/out of their homes etc

I'd prefer to get a day that suits everyone rather than just saying 8 PM at the stags head and expect people to turn up....What if most people can't do Wednesday?

As mentioned by another poster,it's best to have an introductory get together then the next week we start getting down to songwriting/singing.

As I've said to the people that did PM me. I'm going to look around pubs In the city centre to see which would be best for a group like this. then give a week or 2 notice before getting together.

Yah that's cool man, whenever, just post it so everyone knows, an introductory session is the way forward so the group would feel chillaxed and at ease,Then, 2nd or 3rd time we meet for some genuine discussions, tips, tricks and displays, we'd be forthwith

If People can meet on Monday the 5th of March (2 weeks from today) for an introductory meeting in a city centre pub.

please either PM me,or post on the thread.

and if you'd like,send me your mobile phone number or email address in a PM.

Cheers.

Fi H wrote: »
    You could have achieved the same result without knocking someone for trying to help!

The same could be said about some of your own posts!
    Good luck with this to all involved!

Yes, well, sorry about that........I over reacted a little.

Nothing to do with Frack. I think everyone involved in this has the best of intentions. I just got a little flash back to people who did not.

Again, sorry.

What pub are you thinking of?

Hey FiveLamps

That suits me, will PM you my details

• Advertisement

Heya

Anything happening with this?

Frack wrote: »
    Heya

Anything happening with this?

Half 8 or 9 on Monday evening in the Mercantile pub on Dame street for an introductory meeting?

Half 8 or 9 on Monday evening in the Mercantile pub on Dame street for an introductory meeting?

I'll be there. As long as the bouncers let me in.

Is that confirmed? How many going?

So is this just a meet up or are we playing few songs to each other , was thinking about bringing up my guitar and busking before whatever time the meet up is

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

are people still up for this? i dont want to be going in and being there on my own haha!

if you could pop me a quick reassuring mail that would be nice!

i think we should just have a quick meet up and talk,as im not sure we'd be allowed to play in there!

i was just using this as a meet up spot and some people could recommend where we could set up a proper singer/songwriter night

Maybe we should leave it until next Monday? No one seems to have replied...

Maybe we should leave it until next Monday? No one seems to have replied...

Did you get my message?

Sorry guys, I can't make it tonight, will defo go for next monday though

• Advertisement

How did you all get on last night?

I was there at 20:30 and left about 20:50. I was too early I think. I couldn't see any singer/songwriter looking people (whatever singer/songwriter peeps look like) so I just left in the end.

I approached two groups of people but they just looked at me funny when I asked "Are you guys from the internet?" lol.

What was discussed and Is there another night planned?

Advertisement