Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring a 4 way (intermediate switch)

• 24-01-2005 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Wondering if ye could help me as im at my wits end. I think ive tried all combinations for this wiring and im not sure what im doing wrong.

I have a three way switch at one end and and a three way switch at another end to control a light.

Switch A has light input and power input to l2 and l3.

Switch B has a power input into l3. I then have a double wire (brown brown with earth) running from Switch A to Switch B with one connecting common to common and the other l2 to l2.

In the middle of these two switches the electrian has left tis double wire out of a switch box uncut for the positioning of a four way switch.

Im just wondering does there need to be power sent to this intermediate switch as ive tried all combinations and nothing works.

I have most of the wiring complete except for this switch and one more four way switch. Any idieas on how to wire this four way switch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you just fit the intermediate switch(2 browns in two browns out) assuming the other switches are already working,if you don't know how you should get an electrician to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Washout wrote:
    Hi guys,

Wondering if ye could help me as im at my wits end. I think ive tried all combinations for this wiring and im not sure what im doing wrong.

I have a three way switch at one end and and a three way switch at another end to control a light.

Switch A has light input and power input to l2 and l3.

Switch B has a power input into l3. I then have a double wire (brown brown with earth) running from Switch A to Switch B with one connecting common to common and the other l2 to l2.

In the middle of these two switches the electrian has left tis double wire out of a switch box uncut for the positioning of a four way switch.

Im just wondering does there need to be power sent to this intermediate switch as ive tried all combinations and nothing works.

I have most of the wiring complete except for this switch and one more four way switch. Any idieas on how to wire this four way switch?

I've seen both of the following ways used to wire up the lights

a) the "english way"...twin and earth cable from fuse board to centre rose,to centre rose, to centre rose and from the rose a two wire drop to switch. If yours is like this then the most of the "complicated" wiring is done at the ceiling rose.

b) the "irish way" single phase wire to switch, phase from switch to light bulb(and a second phase loop to the next switch), and neutral looped back from light bulb to light bulb to light bulb to fuse board. If this is yours then 2 way switch is wired as follows
    phase to top contact in switch, two wires from bottom two contacts in switch A to same contacts in switch B, phase out from top contact in switch B to light bulb. Neutral looped back as before. Now to install intermediate switche(s) cut the two wires between the switches and wire up x fashion. the new switch should have four contacts, not counting possible earth. it should be possible to install any number of ntermediate switches on the same circuit in this way.

If you draw the above on paper it should be clear enough.

N.B. I'm NOT a qualified sparks...AND if still unsure pay a visit to B & Q where you can see examples laid out on wall, and they have "expert helpers" on hand. The only reservation i have about this company is like other british companies here they usually sell british equipment for doing things the english way...just bear that in mind when getting advice there. But they do have a huge selection.

You can experiment with switches on waste board, using bicycle batt and bulb, to prevent burning down housr or frying yourself
    hope this helps
    t

Advertisement