Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Lisa in Maxi Zoo in Limerick recommended their beef scalp chews to me for the dogs. Bought one there the other day for them and it's fantastic - it lasts way, way longer than a rawhide roll or a compressed rawhide chew, which I'd usually buy. And it works out the same price or cheaper. The beef scalp is really long but I cut it in three.

ETA: You have to get over the fact that it's um, scalp. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It's a very small world alright but that's mad :p

http://www.softpaws.com/

Anyone have any experience or opinions about these?
    I haven't tried them but I hear they're very popular in America. I wouldn't put them on a cat that has access to the outdoors as they'd stop the cat from protecting themselves. At least they stop some Americans from declawing cats. I don't know how anyone who claims to love their cats could possibly subject them to declawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

boomerang wrote: »
    Lisa in Maxi Zoo in Limerick recommended their beef scalp chews to me for the dogs. Bought one there the other day for them and it's fantastic - it lasts way, way longer than a rawhide roll or a compressed rawhide chew, which I'd usually buy. And it works out the same price or cheaper. The beef scalp is really long but I cut it in three.

ETA: You have to get over the fact that it's um, scalp. :D

You can get huge ones on zooplus - actually if you go back a few pages I uploaded a pic of them when they arrived a few weeks ago! :p The first one I gave Bailey only lasted 20 mins but I have him a thicker one at the weekend and he was still eating it after an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I haven't tried them but I hear they're very popular in America. I wouldn't put them on a cat that has access to the outdoors as they'd stop the cat from protecting themselves. At least they stop some Americans from declawing cats. I don't know how anyone who claims to love their cats could possibly subject them to declawing.

Well I'v already ordered 2 packets so I hope they'll work out ok :o Fully indoor cats, says on the website not to use them on cats that have outdoor access for that reason. Declawing really is barbaric, how anyone can do that to an animal they seemingly care for is beyond me when there's so much info readily available about it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Talk about a small world. A new chap started working in the same company as my husband. Turns out not only does he live in our neighbourhood but he and his girlfriend have been feeding 2 of our cats.

Tis a small world indeed. The little setter I rehomed last week came from a pic that was posted up on a rescue page. I knew the people that were looking for a setter and told them that I would keep an eye out. I sent an private fb message to the rescue page and then got a friend request on fb from a girl that I thought I vaguely knew, we had 9 mutual friends - turns out it was her brother and sister in laws setter that was getting rehomed and she's very good friends with people I grew up with in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Well I'v already ordered 2 packets so I hope they'll work out ok :o Fully indoor cats, says on the website not to use them on cats that have outdoor access for that reason. Declawing really is barbaric, how anyone can do that to an animal they seemingly care for is beyond me when there's so much info readily available about it :confused:

Thankfully declawing isn't as common anymore here in Canada. I was thinking about getting those clawcaps thingys too. Pepper is indoor only but she loves to scratch under the bed and the couch... not fun! She has a cat tree and a scratching post too but I guess destroying the couch is way more fun! She loves to go under the bed and lie on her back and claw her way around. Extremely loud and annoying at 4am!

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Thankfully declawing isn't as common anymore here in Canada. I was thinking about getting those clawcaps thingys too. Pepper is indoor only but she loves to scratch under the bed and the couch... not fun! She has a cat tree and a scratching post too but I guess destroying the couch is way more fun! She loves to go under the bed and lie on her back and claw her way around. Extremely loud and annoying at 4am!

I'l let you know how I get on with them, I reckon applying them will be fun :D Moving to rented accommodation soon and I'm worried about the furniture hence why I'm getting these early to get them used of them, plan on buying a big cat tree too :) At least you don't get your ears nibbled at 4am :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think there's a tummy bug doing the rounds with my guys, first peach was
    Vomiting but is better now, then Dude had the runs yesterday and even though most people wouldn't worry about it with his condition he had to be seen straight away, now he's better and Cream has the runs! I have a different cat in the crate in my room each night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I think there's a tummy bug doing the rounds with my guys, first peach was
    Vomiting but is better now, then Dude had the runs yesterday and even though most people wouldn't worry about it with his condition he had to be seen straight away, now he's better and Cream has the runs! I have a different cat in the crate in my room each night!!

So relieved to hear Dude is better. Hope everything is back to normal soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Hope they get better soon sillymango, moone has been sick all evening too. She's been narky (more than usual :P ) with Alli and whining to sit on the sofa with me. She even went over and picked up her teddy to snuggle in beside me :( hopefully she'll be better in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

my little boss had the runs too sunday and yesterday. just light meals of boiled chicken and rice. normal poo's today he still tired though. must be something going

The house is so quiet without Alli here, she went off with the vet no problem. Hopefully she won't be too bad after her operation, our cat was a little sick after hers. Moones actually going around looking for Alli

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Ahh Nala for some reason decided to chew up Bruce's eye cream so had to get new one at vets. The rescue had paid for first one but seen as nala ate this one i said i'd buy it not realising it's €37! It's called optimmune. It's only tiny tube but his eyes have improved so it should last a while. Anyone have any idea's where i might find cheaper one online?

nala2012 wrote: »
    Ahh Nala for some reason decided to chew up Bruce's eye cream so had to get new one at vets. The rescue had paid for first one but seen as nala ate this one i said i'd buy it not realising it's €37! It's called optimmune. It's only tiny tube but his eyes have improved so it should last a while. Anyone have any idea's where i might find cheaper one online?

I wAs going to suggest trying on amazon but i think with anything like that you'd be safer getting it in the vets as it's genuine. Is there not a cheaper brand you could ask for? My labrador had eye problems a few weeks before he passed away and we had to get him eye drops from the vets that cost about €15, I can't remember the brand though

We bumped into the vet yesterday evening on our walk.. Bold dogs!! Bailey hid behind my mum and then barked twice, Lucy jumped up on her when she went to pet her(!) :rolleyes:

Anyways I have a bit of a dilemma - Bailey has been sleeping upstairs on my bed since we got Lucy in July. Lucy doesn't want to sleep in her crate beside the bed any more and would rather sleep up on the bed. The problem with this is that Bailey eventually gets fed up and jumps down into his old bed on the floor during the night (which he seems happy enough to sleep on). I feel a bit bad like he's being ousted from his spot but on the other hand when I've let her up before say during the night he was happy to sleep beside her for the rest of the night - the problem seems to be letting them both up from the start?!

Just out on a walk with moone and some woman allowed her child to run up behind us and went to grab moone and my leg! apart from me having a mini heart attack moone turned around and started barking at the child because she got a fright too. I opened my mouth to apologise to the mother (I don't know why as it wasn't our fault) and The mother just walked past me and didn't even call her child! I had to ask the child to leave moone alone (moone was relaxed at that stage and rolling over for a belly rub) No wonder there's so many attacks on kids with parents like that! :mad:

SingItOut wrote: »
    Just out on a walk with moone and some woman allowed her child to run up behind us and went to grab moone and my leg! apart from me having a mini heart attack moone turned around and started barking at the child because she got a fright too. I opened my mouth to apologise to the mother (I don't know why as it wasn't our fault) and The mother just walked past me and didn't even call her child! I had to ask the child to leave moone alone (moone was relaxed at that stage and rolling over for a belly rub) No wonder there's so many attacks on kids with parents like that! :mad:

I've had a toddler come up trying to hug Bailey (who was terrified) while the dad was miles away calling the child and another time some wild kids roaring at Bailey chasing him and trying to grab his tail - he ran and stood behind my friend's husband that time! :mad:
    During the summer we witnessed a group of kids beating the crap out of a dog - since then Bailey barks at one of them if they come near him. A few weeks ago the kid was petting Lucy and Bailey got worried and started crying/grumbling until Lucy was back beside him :mad:

...Actually 9/10 times when a toddler comes over to the dogs it's on Daddy's watch lol! The mum's have more sense! :pac:

I've got to say that a total lack of common sense around dogs is a big thing I've noticed when doing flag day collections for an animal charity I support. A few of the volunteers will bring their dogs along and I've seen everything from people literally picking up a dog they don't know, before the volunteer can even say no, to people just letting their young kids get down on the ground to dogs they don't know and manhandling them.

Absolutely no cop on whatsoever and if the dog gets hurt or scared the dog is the one that'll pay the price for it. I'm not afraid of dogs, but I know a few people who for various reasons are terrified of them and the amount of people that leave their dogs off leash is ridiculous. I had some womans dog run up to me today and jump all over me, it didn't bother me at all, the dog had no recall whatsoever and just ignored her completely.

I don't know why people get dogs if they aren't going to put in the work with them.

I was in pet mania months ago pricing a crate for Lucy... Their crates are in different places depending on promotions so there I was wandering around the pet shop with Bailey beside me (on lead of course) when I see loads of crates! off I go to inspect them only to find out it was cat adoption day(!) Luckily I saw the kitties before Bailey or he would have gone mad and the cats would have been terrified.

I used to get that a lot with moone when I took her to my old job, a lot of the kids were really gentle with her but only a handful of parents would say "ask the girl can you pet her first". The only major incident was when a woman, her two kids and off lead cairn terrier came into the shop and the dog went all teeth barred for me behind the till so moone came out growling to protect me, they were fighting but I had Moones lead on is I was able to pull her away. That was the last day I brought her into that job, ever since then she's been so over protective of me.

• Advertisement

I think it's the new wet food upsetting my guys tums rather than a bug... I tried them just eating dry today and they are all clear and happy! (and I'm happy as I had no bums to wipe :P) We will finish out what I got of the cosma then might try a different type of wet food, maybe one without rice might be better? I was looking at Porta21 and it seems to be the same price range, does anyone have any experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I've got to say that a total lack of common sense around dogs is a big thing I've noticed when doing flag day collections for an animal charity I support. A few of the volunteers will bring their dogs along and I've seen everything from people literally picking up a dog they don't know, before the volunteer can even say no, to people just letting their young kids get down on the ground to dogs they don't know and manhandling them.

Absolutely no cop on whatsoever and if the dog gets hurt or scared the dog is the one that'll pay the price for it. I'm not afraid of dogs, but I know a few people who for various reasons are terrified of them and the amount of people that leave their dogs off leash is ridiculous. I had some womans dog run up to me today and jump all over me, it didn't bother me at all, the dog had no recall whatsoever and just ignored her completely.

I don't know why people get dogs if they aren't going to put in the work with them.

Totally agree but as the dog paying the price?
    Ive made it clear to my neices / nephews (and their parents) that if they annoy my dog so much he growls / snaps... then tough cookie on them.

He's never so much as growled in his nearly 9 years but as he gets older he'll get less and less tolerant i suppose, but if he ever snaps / bites etc its tough on them my cocker wont suffer... it tough love really.

The amount of times I have to say leave him alone, he's in his bed / tired / sleeping and the parents say "ahh sure they are only playing with him", "they just want to see hom etc"... so i "save him from the torment" by letting him out the back ....so thats the rules in my house - my guy wont suffer even if it causes a family rift then so be it.

You are correct though loads of kids just run over, bend down and pet straight away... or pat him on his head from behind...a few times it has startled him a bit... stupid idiot parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ive made it clear to my neices / nephews (and their parents) that if they annoy my dog so much he growls / snaps... then tough cookie on them.

He's never so much as growled in his nearly 9 years but as he gets older he'll get less and less tolerant i suppose, but if he ever snaps / bites etc its tough on them my cocker wont suffer... it tough love really.

The amount of times I have to say leave him alone, he's in his bed / tired / sleeping and the parents say "ahh sure they are only playing with him", "they just want to see hom etc"... so i "save him from the torment" by letting him out the back ....so thats the rules in my house - my guy wont suffer even if it causes a family rift then so be it.

You are correct though loads of kids just run over, bend down and pet straight away... or pat him on his head from behind...a few times it has startled him a bit... stupid idiot parents.

We really do live in a generation where there seems to be no responsibility taken for childrens shortcomings. Having worked in nursery retailing for a number of years I was pretty much astonished at the lack of parenting from some people. I recall somebody wanting a booster car seat for their little darling and I asked which one had they in mind and they wanted 'the best, the safest' etc, and I said I'd need their childs weight and to bring him in or did they know it. "Oh he's here, somewhere" - next thing there's an almighty crash and a display toy fort came crashing down from about 7ft as he had climbed up the bays of toys to get it down:rolleyes:. That's just one example, kids were just let run riot, it was scary sometimes.

Back when I was young, if you got a nip it was because you were teasing the dog, and it was your own fault. (And looking back, it absolutely was) Now the parents are abdicating any responsibility and looking for the dog to suffer for their child getting a warning nip.

We really do live in a generation where there seems to be no responsibility taken for childrens shortcomings. Having worked in nursery retailing for a number of years I was pretty much astonished at the lack of parenting from some people. I recall somebody wanting a booster car seat for their little darling and I asked which one had they in mind and they wanted 'the best, the safest' etc, and I said I'd need their childs weight and to bring him in or did they know it. "Oh he's here, somewhere" - next thing there's an almighty crash and a display toy fort came crashing down from about 7ft as he had climbed up the bays of toys to get it down:rolleyes:. That's just one example, kids were just let run riot, it was scary sometimes.

Back when I was young, if you got a nip it was because you were teasing the dog, and it was your own fault. (And looking back, it absolutely was) Now the parents are abdicating any responsibility and looking for the dog to suffer for their child getting a warning nip.

Exactly... I find nowadays everyones "little darlings" are so precious that they can do no wrong and heaven forbid they get told "no" all hell breaks loose - but i dont blame the kids they are a product of their up bringing etc.

I had dogs growing up froma very young baby infact... in particular a dachshund, and my god she hated me (probably beacuse i was always trying to pick her up), they are very small and petite, she used to run away from me, my mum told me time and time again leave her alone, she will bite you etc..... and she did... a good few times and I mean bite me, not so hard I needed stiches but always drew blood - she never bit another single person - my mother used to kill me when the dog bit me as I pushed her to it (which I can now see i did)... the dog didnt go infact i got introuble for not leaving her alone.

She also would shred you if you approached her while eating... now this I never did, so she was resource guarding, we ALWAYS left her alone while eating it was a rule in the house - most people now get rid of a dog for resource guarding etc.

you know the funny thing is I read on another forum a poster said the following: her son shouldnt have to learn not to pull the dogs tail etc, her dog will have to learn not to react - or else it goes... seems we have a very "precious" generation at the moment.

People just don't see that they or their child may be the problem if a strangers dog nips and they'd probably try to sue the owner for compensation or try to have the dog pts. I thought I couldn't hear anything more ridiculous until last night. I listened to an emergency services call in America. The cat had scratched a 7 month old child, who knows why, and the father then kicked the cat. The cat chased him and the result was that the guy and his family, including the dog, were hiding in a bedroom asking for the police to come deal with the 2 stone cat.

He described the cat as violent? For a scratch? For getting annoyed after the pain of being kicked? It was their own cat for goodness sake. Sadly the poor cat will probably be pts now, hopefully someone will adopt it though, I think the incident went viral.

People just don't see that they or their child may be the problem if a strangers dog nips and they'd probably try to sue the owner for compensation or try to have the dog pts. I thought I couldn't hear anything more ridiculous until last night. I listened to an emergency services call in America. The cat had scratched a 7 month old child, who knows why, and the father then kicked the cat. The cat chased him and the result was that the guy and his family, including the dog, were hiding in a bedroom asking for the police to come deal with the 2 stone cat.

He described the cat as violent? For a scratch? For getting annoyed after the pain of being kicked? It was their own cat for goodness sake. Sadly the poor cat will probably be pts now, hopefully someone will adopt it though, I think the incident went viral.

yip outargeous BUT the cat scratched the baby, as it pulled the cats tail..(so it says on skynews anyway). then then dad openly admitted to kicking the cat up the ass... and the cat went crazy??? ehhh am I surprised? no... poor cat, he needs a better family...

Appartently the cat will be given counselling.. as in its the cats fault...

http://news.sky.com/story/1224620/therapy-for-hostile-cat-that-trapped-family

Poor cat looks terrified... hopefully he can be rehomed to a proper family who dont go around kicking their animals.

yip outargeous BUT the cat scratched the baby, as it pulled the cats tail..(so it says on skynews anyway). then then dad openly admitted to kicking the cat up the ass... and the cat went crazy??? ehhh am I surprised? no... poor cat, he needs a better family...

Appartently the cat will be given counselling.. as in its the cats fault...

http://news.sky.com/story/1224620/therapy-for-hostile-cat-that-trapped-family

Poor cat looks terrified... hopefully he can be rehomed to a proper family who dont go around kicking their animals.

Ah christ I'v never heard such drivel, that article wouldn't go astray on a website like the onion or an april fools joke. It mustn't be the first time the poor cats gotten the boot if he's so open to admit it yet it's the cat that needs a physiologist, why not just rehome the cat to a child free home where he's not going to have his tail pulled and kicked. :confused:

I'm taking painkillers and anti-histamines this week and having horrible dreams because of it. I must be making noise during the dreams as I've noticed a few times that Poppy jumps on me and looks confused, so she can hear me from her basket in the next room. She does love 'her' bed under the radiator, it was Jazzy's but she chased him off.

My 3 teamed together to catch a shrew today! I don't mind them catching rats and mice but afaik shrews are a protected species so I always rescue them from the cats, I put it in a dark little crevice the cats can't get at but when I came back a few hours later it had died :( they could go a while year without catching a thing but in the last 2 days they've caught 2 mice and a shrew! Was nice to see some team work between them though!

• Advertisement

Lidl have some pet stuff in next Thursday. Retractable dog leads and pet bedding mostly from whats in the online catalogue. I think I'll get a couple of the pet blankets, they've a cat igloo but I've seen them cheaper online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement