Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mitoke

mregan22 wrote: »
    Have you got asked for a face to face interview?

no. I just submitted my applications. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mregan22

No I had a skype interview before Christmas that's and they said face to face interviews are in march so u just have to wait and see

No I had a skype interview before Christmas that's and they said face to face interviews are in march so u just have to wait and see

Not really sure if you read my full post before responding but I was asking how long it took between you submitting your cv and you getting your initial interview.

I sorry I sent my application in November an had a skype interview in December so about a few weeks so wasn't long for a skype interview

I sorry I sent my application in November an had a skype interview in December so about a few weeks so wasn't long for a skype interview

wow. You've been waiting that long? That must be irksome a bit. Well it's March now, so that's good :). Have you applied anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 lauretta86

Hey just wondering could anybody give me any advice on the second interview for Sabis. I just did my skype interview and I was told there would be a second interview soon in Limerick? I was also asked my preferences and I really want to work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi but was told that I may not even work in UAE but that is where my family and friends are? If any can help me into how I can try and get Sabis to place me in UAE if I get the job please help. Thanks.

mitoke wrote: »
    wow. You've been waiting that long? That must be irksome a bit. Well it's March now, so that's good :). Have you applied anywhere else?

No I havent have u? I heard about this in college and thought it would be a great experience!

lauretta86 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering could anybody give me any advice on the second interview for Sabis. I just did my skype interview and I was told there would be a second interview soon in Limerick? I was also asked my preferences and I really want to work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi but was told that I may not even work in UAE but that is where my family and friends are? If any can help me into how I can try and get Sabis to place me in UAE if I get the job please help. Thanks.

I think its your luck to be honest. I had a skype interview in December and I am waiting on a date for an interview. I asked for the uae aswell and they said its a popular choice so they cant grantee it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Hi,
    I am looking into teaching in the UAE next year. I have 3 years teaching experience and my degree was in languages. Would there be any possibility of me teaching my degree subjects or are SABIS just interested in English? Also, will my 3 years experience count for anything in terms of jobs/salary scale? Has anyone gone through other places besides SABIS?
    RingTheAlarm!

lauretta86 wrote: »

If your family is in the UAE already, you could apply as a local hire.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I am looking into teaching in the UAE next year. I have 3 years teaching experience and my degree was in languages. Would there be any possibility of me teaching my degree subjects or are SABIS just interested in English? Also, will my 3 years experience count for anything in terms of jobs/salary scale? Has anyone gone through other places besides SABIS?
    RingTheAlarm!

Sabis is actually not just English at all. If you're a qualified teacher you have tons of opportunities that are way better than sabis. Check out teachaway, teachoverseas, GEMS School

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lauretta86

If your family is in the UAE already, you could apply as a local hire.

I'm not familiar with this what is it. I do have a cousin in Dubai
    does that count.

Any interview news for ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Sabis is actually not just English at all. If you're a qualified teacher you have tons of opportunities that are way better than sabis. Check out teachaway, teachoverseas, GEMS School

Hi am ACELS qualified recently but I also have two degrees and loads of experience in people management with 20+ years experience in a multinational environment. I'm a little grey now and have taken very early retirement and I'm interested in working with business professionals as a teacher of English / professional advisor. Any leads you could provide? Or same as in your quote above? €25 / hr would not motivate me really but I'm primarily interested in getting experience and any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Hey everyone,
    I'm currently in my 1st year with Sabis in the UAE. If anyone has any questions, send me a message or ask on thread.

Re the interview, if memory serves, mine was late March/early April in Dublin. I think I only got a week or two's notice about it as well. Don't be at all worried about the interview, it's really just a formality, apparently if you're offered an interview, you'll be offered a contract. It's a group interview, mine was with 2 other people. They asked me to give a bit of background about myself, why I wanted to work with them, how I would deal with an unruly child, what did I know about Sabis, was I prepared to live in a different country with a completely different culture and what I would do if a parent approached me about their child. Pretty much just everything that you filled in on your application form to be honest.

The job itself isn't that exciting. It can be stressful at times. The wages are low enough but you will have enough to get by plus (food shopping is a lot cheaper over here) more for nights out, travelling, shopping (UAE's main hobby) etc. You don't have to pay rent, transport to and from school, utilities etc. The only bills I pay are for my internet and phone. If you really wanted to save, you could, I just like to blow my wages in the malls ;) Really, you're living for the weekend and the lifestyle over here and it's worth it, in my opinion anyway!

Like I said, any more questions, feel free to send me a message about it :)

Hey everyone,
    I'm currently in my 1st year with Sabis in the UAE. If anyone has any questions, send me a message or ask on thread.

Re the interview, if memory serves, mine was late March/early April in Dublin. I think I only got a week or two's notice about it as well. Don't be at all worried about the interview, it's really just a formality, apparently if you're offered an interview, you'll be offered a contract. It's a group interview, mine was with 2 other people. They asked me to give a bit of background about myself, why I wanted to work with them, how I would deal with an unruly child, what did I know about Sabis, was I prepared to live in a different country with a completely different culture and what I would do if a parent approached me about their child. Pretty much just everything that you filled in on your application form to be honest.

The job itself isn't that exciting. It can be stressful at times. The wages are low enough but you will have enough to get by plus (food shopping is a lot cheaper over here) more for nights out, travelling, shopping (UAE's main hobby) etc. You don't have to pay rent, transport to and from school, utilities etc. The only bills I pay are for my internet and phone. If you really wanted to save, you could, I just like to blow my wages in the malls ;) Really, you're living for the weekend and the lifestyle over here and it's worth it, in my opinion anyway!

Like I said, any more questions, feel free to send me a message about it :)

Thanks for that .. I had a skype interview in December and they asked where would I want my interview in Dublin or limerick? Did u get asked that? Did you get an email if you were offered an interview ? Thanks

Thanks for that .. I had a skype interview in December and they asked where would I want my interview in Dublin or limerick? Did u get asked that? Did you get an email if you were offered an interview ? Thanks

Yeah, I got the option of Dublin or Limerick. I never had a skype interview though, just a phone one although I did upload a video CV with my application so maybe that's why they didn't skype me? I got emailed the invitation to an interview along with a contract. They also text me to check my emails for some important information. They ask you to bring the contract with you to the interview and you can sign it then and there or think about it for 48 hours. So you need to be pretty sure about whether or not you're going to take the job if you go to the interview.

Yeah, I got the option of Dublin or Limerick. I never had a skype interview though, just a phone one although I did upload a video CV with my application so maybe that's why they didn't skype me? I got emailed the invitation to an interview along with a contract. They also text me to check my emails for some important information. They ask you to bring the contract with you to the interview and you can sign it then and there or think about it for 48 hours. So you need to be pretty sure about whether or not you're going to take the job if you go to the interview.

Ok that's grand how do you find the work is it good experience and what would you find difficult about it? Would you do another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

I got an email today confirming iv been short listed for a face to face interview :D

Ok that's grand how do you find the work is it good experience and what would you find difficult about it? Would you do another year?

It's demanding work, you can't slack off. Message me if you want to talk about it in depth. Hoping to do another year, have yet to sign a contract though. Most people do 2 years to get the bonus.

• Advertisement

star92 wrote: »
    I got an email today confirming iv been short listed for a face to face interview :D

That's Great congrats... Did you wait long for a reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

star92 wrote: »

Congrats! Did they give you a date and time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 star92

That's Great congrats... Did you wait long for a reply?
    Yeah I did my skype interview all the way back in October!
    Congrats! Did they give you a date and time?
    Thanks! :) Nope they just said they'd let me know about the next steps soon

Did anyone else hear anything about an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeachLoops

Not heard anything. Nervous that others have :/ I suppose we will all find out very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bd_90

Havnt heard anything back either. I was asked at the end of my interview to pick either Dublin or Limerick for a face to face interview. I was then asked to send on all my documentation which I did. I know all my references have been contacted so im just waiting to hear clarification that I have the face to face interview! Nervous times, I was told the interview would be at the end of March so I'm presuming we will hear soon! Have many people got notice of a face to face interview?!

i havnt yet i had a skype interview in december and they also asked me if i wanted to get an interview in dublin or limerick and have heard nothing yet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeachLoops

I heard back a couple of days ago and I had my first interview in late December. I am doing my second interview over Skype as I live in Scotland. I would have been willing to travel to Ireland but it's decent that they have accommodated me this way!

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bd_90

I was e mailed to day regarding an interview in the Westbury in Dublin next Wednesday! I had asked for Limerick so there must only be one location. Did anyone else hear back?! Exciting times ahead!

• Advertisement

Still haven't heard anything, not looking too good

Advertisement