Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing System Scam

• 02-03-2013 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

I would like to know peoples thoughts on why the printers in the arts block now print on both sides of the page and why the default system hasn't been rectified. Personally, I think this is a dishonest attempt by the university at saving money on printing paper since the introduction of the new printing system. I just printed out a document which was suppose to be on separate pages but turned out to be on both sides of one page yet I was still charged the price of two prints. This isn't the first time that this has happened. Before Chruistmas I had an assignment due which was 15 pages in length. It took me two unsuccessful attempts at printing the assignment before I realised this and it cost me a fare few quid. I think it is a pure scam and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

Comments

I would like to know peoples thoughts on why the printers in the arts block now print on both sides of the page and why the default system hasn't been rectified.

You're paying for ink not paper afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I would like to know peoples thoughts on why the printers in the arts block now print on both sides of the page and why the default system hasn't been rectified. Personally, I think this is a dishonest attempt by the university at saving money on printing paper since the introduction of the new printing system. I just printed out a document which was suppose to be on separate pages but turned out to be on both sides of one page yet I was still charged the price of two prints. This isn't the first time that this has happened. Before Chruistmas I had an assignment due which was 15 pages in length. It took me two unsuccessful attempts at printing the assignment before I realised this and it cost me a fare few quid. I think it is a pure scam and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.
    As far as I know there are notices on each computer in the PACR in Arts block, also when I was printing there for a first time I was informed that I have to change settings from Duplex if I do not want a document to be printed on both pages. I do personally do not think that the university is trying to save money on the paper, I think that they try to promote printing on both pages to reduce waste if paper i.e. saving forests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

For years, everyone complained that that the University was wasting paper by not making double sided printing the default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

God damn those evil fiends thinking of the rainforests....

*maybe you wanna rethink using the word scam*

*just saying*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Just check the settings before you print instead of blaming the University, problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think burning a load of trees infront of the arts block is the only way to solve this, show those damn hippies that they cant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theNewGirl

I prefer to print the library when I can, not for assignments because I always forget to set it so it prints on one side, but it does charge me half the price when I am printing out on both sides, it actually turns out cheaper than the arts block I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

theNewGirl wrote: »
    I prefer to print the library when I can
    The whole library?!? Janey Mackers!!

theNewGirl wrote: »
    I prefer to print the library when I can, not for assignments because I always forget to set it so it prints on one side, but it does charge me half the price when I am printing out on both sides, it actually turns out cheaper than the arts block I think.

Is it not 8c per print everywhere? Even if you're printing duplex I'm pretty sure it charges you 16c for a double sided page.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theNewGirl

Nope, I printed off an essay on Tuesday, it was 24c the first time double-sided, and 48c one-sided :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement