Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

st st until 38cm.
    [Dec right - sl1, k1, psso, put st back onto left hand needle, bring second st on left hand needle over first st, put st back onto right needle.]

Row 1 (RS) K1, p1 ,k1, p1, knit to last 4 sts, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Row 2 (WS) P1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 4 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1.
    Dec row (RS) K1, p1, k1, p1, dec right, knit to last 7 sts, slip 1, k2tog, psso, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Repeat row 2 then row 1, twice, then row 2, once more.

Next row (RS) Work dec row.

Cont to work as set, decreasing every 4th row, 7(8,9,10) times* [40(42,44,48)sts, 42(46,50,54) shaping rows]. Work 3 rows.

This is my understanding of the text in red for shaping armholes....
    I am currently doing this:
    Knitting in st st and every 4th row I am doing a dec row (which includes the dec right) only.
    I need to do this 7 times.
    To me this adds up to 7 x 4 = 28 rows, far short of the 42 shaping rows.

What exactly does 'cont to work as set' mean? Am I skipping rows?
    This is the pattern:
    http://www.josharp.com/sites/josharpcomau/assets/public/File/Free%20Patterns/COCO%20PD.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Super Bulky Yarn? Can't seem to find any. Lots of chunky, but no super bulky.
    Was recently in the States and got some there. Made some scarfs, which I love, and have got lots of compliments. The band that I used is Lion Brand Hometown USA. I can find it on line, but between shipping and duty it's working out very expensive.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Neadine wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Super Bulky Yarn? Can't seem to find any. Lots of chunky, but no super bulky.
    Was recently in the States and got some there. Made some scarfs, which I love, and have got lots of compliments. The band that I used is Lion Brand Hometown USA. I can find it on line, but between shipping and duty it's working out very expensive.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

Is Springwools any good to you? They're based on the Ballymount Road in Dublin (just 2 minutes up from the Walkinstown Roundabout) or else deliver anywhere in the country for about €3 flat fee.

They've got a pretty good selection - hope you find what you need! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I use Bigga wool:

http://www.angelyarns.com/sirdar/knit.php/yarn/301

or Big Softie:

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/yarns/fashion/Big_Softie_F040

My local wool shop has both, but they dont sell online. I'm not mad about Bug Softie as it is not spun very tightly and can come apart if pulled, but it is very good value and long lasting when in a garment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

MargeS wrote: »
    st st until 38cm.
    [Dec right - sl1, k1, psso, put st back onto left hand needle, bring second st on left hand needle over first st, put st back onto right needle.]

Row 1 (RS) K1, p1 ,k1, p1, knit to last 4 sts, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Row 2 (WS) P1, k1, p1, k1, purl to last 4 sts, k1, p1, k1, p1.
    Dec row (RS) K1, p1, k1, p1, dec right, knit to last 7 sts, slip 1, k2tog, psso, p1, k1, p1, k1.
    Repeat row 2 then row 1, twice, then row 2, once more.

Next row (RS) Work dec row.

Cont to work as set, decreasing every 4th row, 7(8,9,10) times* [40(42,44,48)sts, 42(46,50,54) shaping rows]. Work 3 rows.

This is my understanding of the text in red for shaping armholes....
    I am currently doing this:
    Knitting in st st and every 4th row I am doing a dec row (which includes the dec right) only.
    I need to do this 7 times.
    To me this adds up to 7 x 4 = 28 rows, far short of the 42 shaping rows.

What exactly does 'cont to work as set' mean? Am I skipping rows?
    This is the pattern:
    http://www.josharp.com/sites/josharpcomau/assets/public/File/Free%20Patterns/COCO%20PD.pdf

Hi MargeS!

This is tricky enough to make sense of, esp without looking at the knitted piece.
    I would interpret it as knit in st st until you get to 38cm. Then you follow the pattern for armhole decrease. When it says work as set, I think it's referring to the pattern formed by the block starting row1 (ie after you've cast off your 12 sts), as opposed to continuing with st st.

The whole block is forming the shaping, not just every 4th dec row. So if you need to achieve 42 shaping rows 7 times, each block should have 6 rows.

Does that make any sense with what you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mijas

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where I could learn the basics of knitting - any classes or groups? Would it take long to pick it up? I'm in the Limerick area. Of course I would start on something easy, but I've seen lovely photos on this thread that I'd love to try some day. I attempted a scarf in first class, which went on for ages because I didnt know how to cast off! But now I'm inspired to start learning to knit after seeing my friend do some lovely jumpers. She doesnt live nearby & hasnt got much free time so I cant ask her to show me or help. I have never followed a pattern & I'm not great at sewing either. But I've heard its really relaxing & its addictive so I'd love to give it a try.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

mijas wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where I could learn the basics of knitting - any classes or groups? Would it take long to pick it up? I'm in the Limerick area. Of course I would start on something easy, but I've seen lovely photos on this thread that I'd love to try some day. I attempted a scarf in first class, which went on for ages because I didnt know how to cast off! But now I'm inspired to start learning to knit after seeing my friend do some lovely jumpers. She doesnt live nearby & hasnt got much free time so I cant ask her to show me or help. I have never followed a pattern & I'm not great at sewing either. But I've heard its really relaxing & its addictive so I'd love to give it a try.

Thanks.
    If youre good with internet id suggest using youtube to learn basic stitches - knit and purl basically. A good site with simple patterns is tlc.howstuffworks.com. If you start with something simple like a scarf you'll get the hang of the basics. After that its just a matter of learning how to decrease to make different shapes.
    If you find a pattern you like, youtube the stitches given and have a bash!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mijas

Thank u will have a look on that site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chicwithstix

Hiya,

If you are in Dublin, there is a new LYS (local yarn shop), The Constant Knitter (www.theconstantknitter.ie) on 88 Francis Street. A lovely and luxurious yarn shop, This is Knit (www.thisisknit.ie) in Powerscourt on South William Street.

If you are outside of Dublin. Join the knitting online community of ravelry.com There is an online group called Irish Knitters that has a map of all yarn shops in the North & the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi Mijas, there are beginner knitting classes in the Limerick Senior college in Mulgrave street which could be helpful. I live in Limerick also, and apparently there is a knitting club who meet in the Old Quarter , though I have never been and am not sure about the times etc., Also the girls in Lena's wool shop are very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody has the pattern for the Tivoli Whirl bag if you could tell me how easy it is? I've done the scarf and I love it, loved knitting it. It's so quick and easy. I would love to knit a matching bag and scarf for my Mam. (Click on my link at the bottom if you want to see the scarf).

Also was wondering if anyone has any easy patterns for double knit wool? I have loads to use up and don't really want to knit just anything. I've looked on a few sites but nothing jumps out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Just to let you know i met a woman at the craft offers in lidl who runs a knitting group in ballyfermot civic amenity centre. The group is on Tuesdays for 7-9. Might be of interest to some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have been knitting a while now but have recently accumulated a fair bit of wool and a couple more sets of needles.
    I currently have it all in a Bag For Life from Superquinn but would like to organise myself better. It was in a plastic bag til the needles burst it.
    I know someone who has something similar to a giant pencil case with 20+ sets of needles in it. Are there things like these specific to storing your needles?

What do you seasoned knitters do with all your wool- in- waiting??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ElleEm wrote: »
    I have been knitting a while now but have recently accumulated a fair bit of wool and a couple more sets of needles.
    I currently have it all in a Bag For Life from Superquinn but would like to organise myself better. It was in a plastic bag til the needles burst it.
    I know someone who has something similar to a giant pencil case with 20+ sets of needles in it. Are there things like these specific to storing your needles?

Yes, needle rolls! I got some gorgeous ones on Etsy a few years ago.

My current needles are the knitpro interchangeables and they come with a pencil case thingie.

As for the wool and yarn, well, I have it all in bags. I have a bag of all the multicoloured toy knitting woll, then I have a bag of aran and a bag of leftover bits, and then lots of balls just sitting around on the floor of the spare room. It's a mess! I saw someone who made a thing from ikea flatpacks that was something like you'd see in a yarn shop. Her whole attic was kitted out!

freida wrote: »
    Just to let you know i met a woman at the craft offers in lidl who runs a knitting group in ballyfermot civic amenity centre. The group is on Tuesdays for 7-9. Might be of interest to some.

I've since heard that there may be a charge at this group for room rental. It wasn't mentioned to me at the time. Prehaps someone who goes to the group might be able to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I keep my needles in a tube that is used to post posters/photos which I recovered from somewhere. Made of thick carton with caps on both ends, it keeps them together tidily.
    My wool however is stored in plastic bags ... :eek:

Valerie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

ValerieR wrote: »

I keep my needles in a tube that is used to post posters/photos which I recovered from somewhere. Made of thick carton with caps on both ends, it keeps them together tidily.
    My wool however is stored in plastic bags ... :eek:

Valerie

That is a bloody genius idea. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

This is the start of a slippery slope- build an extension to your house with specially designed shelves and presses.

Not joking, that's what I need to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I would love to make this elefante I only have four double pointed needlesn though so does anyone know a way around this or another way of doing this?

I've reached my budget on craft supplies so cannot buy anymore needles for a while anyway.

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I would love to make this elefante I only have four double pointed needlesn though so does anyone know a way around this or another way of doing this?

I've reached my budget on craft supplies so cannot buy anymore needles for a while anyway.

I haven't done it. But I have done socks and it's possible you can just distribute the stitches for tube knitting onto three needles and use the other one to knit, rather than four. It's a recent thing that socks etc are done on five needles rather than four. There might also be some advice here in the project notes from other people. Usually people come up with good ways around not being able to crochet for the ears etc, so they are worth a look through

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elefante/people

Make sure you post up a pic when your done. I'd love to see it finished. I've had it on my to do list for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

freida wrote: »

Make sure you post up a pic when your done. I'd love to see it finished. I've had it on my to do list for ages.

Grand thanks thats should work fine...it's actually the first time I've come across the use of a 5th needle .

It's third on my list just now but will post it up when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

hi, I've mentioned this to Cork_girl and hope you guys can help me out - I've a survey on Wool and Yarn Use that I can't post right here.
    I'd appreciate it if the lovely people here would follow the link and complete the survey.
    It's a short survey- I won't pull the wool over your eyes :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77262866
    Big thanks to Cork_girl for letting me post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jiblady

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just taken up knitting (other than the obligatory scarf thing!!) and it is my first time reading a knitting pattern. The most of it is fine, am attempting an easyknit jumper. At some stage it says to TOP SEW pieces together. Not entirely sure what this means. In my head I think it means put the pieces right sides together and sew up, but not sure. Its a Wendy pattern. Anyone out there any suggestions??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

does pattern call for joining the garment at the shoulder seams that you can pick up stitches around the neck opening on the circular needles or similar? look in here, you might find something useful.
    you probably have a picture of finished garment in your pattern, it'd be easier to advice if we could see it. I'd understand the "top sew" as very neat and tidy seam that's not bulky, esp if it's on the shoulder of the garment, so nothing is sticking out/up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jiblady

As in join the very edges of the garment facing right side out? It is at the shoulder seams, and i do need to knit on a collar. Tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Ophiopogon wrote: »

I would use a circular needle- you know the ones with the piece of wire joining them. It means that the stitches don't get pulled out of tension where the needles join.

Also, when making softies I find it helps to use a slightly smaller gauge needle than on the ball band so that its nice and firm, and I much prefer unspun, carded wool as a stuffer instead of those ball things or fiberfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muttonh

Hi everybody,

I know this is a long shot but my mother is looking for an old sirdar knitting pattern that she had years ago. I think it was her mothers before her and dated back to the 60's or 70's. it's an Aran sweater and its design number 2018. She has half if the pattern but is missing the last section.
    Would anybody know where I could find this pattern.

Again I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd give boards a try for her.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Maybe you can contact these guys : http://www.amazon.com/Sirdar-Leaflet-2018/dp/B006XGIWXM

Edit - sorry - it's probably not what you are looking for - it's not an Aran Jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Muttonh wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I know this is a long shot but my mother is looking for an old sirdar knitting pattern that she had years ago. I think it was her mothers before her and dated back to the 60's or 70's. it's an Aran sweater and its design number 2018. She has half if the pattern but is missing the last section.
    Would anybody know where I could find this pattern.

Again I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd give boards a try for her.

Thanks in advance

Maybe try contact them directly:

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/contactus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Maybe try contact them directly:

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/contactus

+1, they're really helpful

Advertisement