Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxygen8 and RealM Junk Messages

• 10-10-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

I moved to Meteor Billpay on the 14th of August this year. As soon as I joined the network I ported my number over from another network. That day once the port was complete I got a series of junk messages from 57700.

These messages said something along the lines of get free credit by replying or following the link. I knew this was junk messages as I did not subscribe to anything so I just deleted these messages and thought nothing more of it. Over a series of weeks I received a lot more of these messages again same crap.

I didnt think anything of it until I got my first monthly bill out with over 45euro of extra charges all because of having received these messages. I contacted Meteor right away who told me that I needed to contact RealM direct as it was nothing to do with Meteor at all.

RealM/Oxygen8, (the same company), I rang them having got their number for the customer services from Meteor Customer care, When I rang RealM they were very cheeky on the phone. I remained calm and asked them to explain what the heck these messages were and how I got charged for them, they were very cheeky and took me I must have clicked on a link and then slamed the phone down. I rang conreg who then told me to get back onto them and request in writing details of these messages which I did do.

Realm sent me out a stupid letter saying that I clicked on a link, when I replied to them asking what the heck it was they dont me it was for some radio station cmpetition that I entered which was not true! So I replied to them again asking for all details relating to this radio thing. They replied saying that they got my number from a link that I clicked from veiwing a random page on the internet on my smartphone.

Thats two different stories from them and both lies! I dont really enter competitions and its all crap. Conreg are not much good. They dont want anything to do with it. They told me to text STOP to the number which I did do. I got a confirmation message back saying I was now unsubscribed however the next day I got further messages. When I rang Meteor they said they cant block the number so I had no other choice but to change my number. It was a balls!

Nightmare!

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

You did try and text "STOP" to the number you were reviving the texts from right?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Trevor451 wrote: »
    You did try and text "STOP" to the number you were reviving the texts from right?

I did that and got a confirmation mesages to state that I was unsubscribed but I started getting the messages again the following day and getting charged!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You shouldn't have changed your number, I would have left them bill you, and then get it refunded back to you when you get it sorted.

You might like to read this:> http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=104

Davy wrote: »
    You shouldn't have changed your number, I would have left them bill you, and then get it refunded back to you when you get it sorted.

You might like to read this:> http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=104

Still has not been sorted after several emails and fights! Ive given up!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You need to contact comreg at:
    www.phonesmart.ie

Make a formal complaint and they'll help with the issue if you've already tried to sort it out with the company in question.

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You need to contact comreg at:
    www.phonesmart.ie

Make a formal complaint and they'll help with the issue if you've already tried to sort it out with the company in question.

I contacted them but they werent very helpful at all!

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

They told me to request a final response from Oxengen8 which I did do, and received. I then forwarded this on to them to which the response was 'they havent done anything illegal'!

I DIDNT REQUEST THE SERVICE! AND GOT NOTHING FOR MY MONEY!

I think I wasted about 100 euro on my meteor bills thanks to them! Easy money to be made on sending junk mail!

They then asked for a letter from meteor to confirm that I didnt request the service. The manage I spoke too took serveral days to ring me back and wasnt very helpful, in the end they stated that they didnt do that kind of thing and said they would refund me half of my loss which they did do which covered one bill. But Im still 50 euro down. Thats why Ive half given up if that makes sense....

Send the meteor response on to comreg and ask them to contact meteor about it since meteor are not being helpful enough.

Unfortunately in these cases you've got to keep pushing from your end as the hope is you'll give up and settle for less (as you have done to date). Don't let these companies away with it if you're not happy and feel hard done by. There's legislation and services there to protect you but you've got to do some of the running on this I'm afraid.

Send the meteor response on to comreg and ask them to contact meteor about it since meteor are not being helpful enough.

Unfortunately in these cases you've got to keep pushing from your end as the hope is you'll give up and settle for less (as you have done to date). Don't let these companies away with it if you're not happy and feel hard done by. There's legislation and services there to protect you but you've got to do some of the running on this I'm afraid.

Meteor wont respond to emails what ever is going on with them at the min, everything is by calls and thats no proofs for comreg! Pain in the As s :(

• Advertisement

Then contact comreg and tell them meteor are not being helpful and ask them can they do anything.

Then contact comreg and tell them meteor are not being helpful and ask them can they do anything.

Will do it tomorrow... I just didnt bother so far as i dont think i will get anywere!

That's what they're counting on. Persevere if you feel you're being wronged.

That's what they're counting on. Persevere if you feel you're being wronged.

Your right!! I just hate all the fighting and getting no where... bad for the bloodpressure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Now you know why mobile commerce ( M Commerce) will never take off in Ireland. The whole sector here is a fraudsters wet dream and Comreg does not want to tackle the scum.

I sent a letter to them back in 2011 and still have not received a response from Comreg. Wasters!

I just received a letter from comreg on friday stating that they side with oxengen8 and its my fault for not texting stop as soon as I received these promotional msgs even though they cant confirm how they got my number in the first instance!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But you should never get a premium message from clicking on any link, tell Comreg you never opted in to receive this junk by a legal method and what was the legal method they rely on in this case.

Tell Comreg you never received or used a PIN confirmation on the alleged opt in either,

In short, this is simply fraud and Comreg are colluding with the fraudsters. Take the matter up to the bosses, barbara.delaney AT comreg dot ie and alex.chisholm AT comreg dot ie.

Advertisement