Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleeping a nightmare!

• 03-03-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Piscesblue

I am at my wits end. Our 10 month old baby girl constantly wakes through the night and as a result Ive developed chronic insomnia where I cant sleep for more than a few hours at night, wake really early and cant fall back to sleep or dont sleep a wink at all.We have tried settling her in a routine of last solid feed at 6.30, last bottle between 8 and 9 and then down to bed reading her story, playing musical mobile etc. until she drifts off. However when she drifts off at around 9 she could wake every hour until 5 am when she usually settles until 8. Her best block of sleep is the latter half. Everytime she wakes the only thing that sends her back to sleep for sure is a bit of her bottle or sometimes if lucky a pat of her back. I am an extremely light sleeper and this is impossible for me to deal with.Luckily for my hubbie he cant sleep through anything and falls back to sleep no bother. Ive had to take time off work because of sleep deprevation and am anxious to get it sorted before going back.Its gotten to a stage now that Im so obsessed with her sleeping habits when Im away from her I dont sleep a wink and stay hyper alert. This has beenone of the most difficult thing Iv ever had to face and Im near breaking point. Any tips or similar experiences would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady did that from 6 months to 2 and a half. I ended up with migraines day after day. She woke 11 times a night. Would you think if giving her a soother, that's the only thing that worked fir my lady, I only introduced it when she was 2 as I was driven insane with no sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Does she (or you) sleep better if she's in your bed?
    Since your husband can get back to sleep easier than you could you possibily take it in turns (and sleep in a different room) so you get a reasonable amount of sleep every second night? That's the only thing that kept us afloat with our first. I can't offer any more practical advice as nothing we did worked :o Hopefully someone else will have ideas for you.

the only little bit of silver lining I can offer is that it doesn't last for ever and will all eventually become a fluffy memory....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

At 10 months you need to start sleep training her, this means controlled crying- it's cruel to be kind. I coslept for the first 6 months and breastfed for nearly 2 years ( so very attachment style) but I still had a baby that was able to sleep from 7 til 7 at 12 months. She needs to learn how to settle herself back to sleep without your intervention. Get yourself A book on sleep training - at 10 months any book will do. You owe it to both of you to ensure that you are both getting the healthy nights sleep you need. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Hi, I feel your pain my son aged 2 is not a great sleeper. He is better than he was. However I am probably reading between the lines a bit here and please don't take me up the wrong way. I think the soother idea is a good one but I think with your own lack of sleep and inability to return to sleep is an issue, you should consider talking to a doctor. Us mums need to look after ourselves too.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Have a look at Elizabeth Pantleys The No Cry Sleep Solution.

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071381392.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I just want you to know that you are not alone. I experienced this with my second baby and it is maddening. The worst is when you are lying there knowing how terrible you are going to feel the next day and how you NEED to go to sleep NOW but you're actually winding yourself up further and further. There is a chapter on this at the end of the no cry sleep solution which how strange recommended that I'd definitely have a look at. I have to say that with all my kids I found a real transition around ten months. According to the experts, the 40th week is when the child's circadian rhythm is fully kicked in so they should in theory be able to sleep through. Its also when the will of the child starts to raise its head and for me at least, I felt like it was around this time that they went from being a sweet, angelic, innocent babe to having something of the wiley toddler in them. Up until then you give them everything that they need and want to develop their sense of security and attachment and from then on you also have to show them that your needs are important too. Maybe you might try introducing some clear and simple boundaries during the day time? I know this helped us get through this time and to make the transition to the next phase. Its so hard when you are in it but take comfort from the fact that (for us anyway) its a short lived phase. Also, as another poster said, take care of yourself! If you're not breastfeeding your child there's no reason why you couldn't have a night or two away to yourself to get some decent sleep and enlist the help of a family member or close friend to help with the baby. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture...everything will seem a bit more managable once you've had some rest. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Piscesblue

Thanks for all sound advice.since posting I've realised my sleeping problems have been a result of suffering from postnatal depression unbeknown to me.went to my doc a few days ago with hubbie and confirmed I have all the symptoms.started on medication to increase seratonin levels which I have good confidence will work.baby is sleeping a bit better this week and hubbie is stepping in a bit more for night time wakings.hopefully be back on my feet soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jerry Jordan

My lady did it until she was 12 months. I made a promise to myself at age 1 she would go into her own room and we would do controlled crying for a few nights. we did and after night 3 she was sleeping soundly through the night and has ever since. she is 2 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Piscesblue wrote: »
    Thanks for all sound advice.since posting I've realised my sleeping problems have been a result of suffering from postnatal depression unbeknown to me.went to my doc a few days ago with hubbie and confirmed I have all the symptoms.started on medication to increase seratonin levels which I have good confidence will work.baby is sleeping a bit better this week and hubbie is stepping in a bit more for night time wakings.hopefully be back on my feet soon.

You poor thing suffering with that for so long. Glad you're getting the help you need. Hopefully things with baby will settle down soon and you can get some space with your husband and to meet up with friends. The first year with the first child is so intense but when you look back it will be to remember the good and precious times. Take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mckenna Muscular Smoothness

my 16 month old still won't sleep on his own. controlled crying doesn't work as he just gets more upset. one of us stays with him till he's asleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement