Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a society (DJ Society)

• 28-02-2012 7:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Right so me and a mate might be going to WIT next year, and are thinking of if we do, that we might try to set up a DJ society.

Im not sure if there is an active DJ soc in WIT or one at all, but if there is, and one of the guys running it reads this, then PM me as id like to hear from you. If there is one then we'd love to run it in conjunction with ye guys.

We have our own kit, CDJs, Mixers, speakers etc. and lots of experience from playing nightclub gigs in dublin, drogheda, kilkenny and limerick. We even got a weekly slot for a few months in a big nightclub in western Australia last year when we were over there travelling/working. So im hoping this will help us in trying to convince a nightclub in waterford city to try out. We ideally would like to try and have say one night a week where we play non mainstream pop, rock etc. and more stuff like electro, house, drum and bass, dubstep.

Just some diverse music as ive heard Waterford lacks in that respect. Then say one day a week after college, we can set up the decks, and have lessons on Djing for the people who sign up. My mate was in a group like this in the college he was in before, and it worked very well, giving the beginners 15-20 minute slots each every week to get them going and it drew big crowds, due to their friends etc. getting invited. We dont expect to get paid, but it would be a great weekly thing to do and good for the beginners to make like minded friends. If this does take off, like in other colleges in dublin, cork, louth, where they have weekly gigs for the society around the colleges, the students nightclubs, events etc. then it would be great and would be a great student vibe around with it.

So im wondering, has this been tried before and failed? And how does one go about setting up the club, and if there is already a DJ club, any ideas on how I could get in contact with the guys who run it or whats the protocol on it? Do I need to go through the students union? Cheers

I should also say that, if by any chance this does get the go ahead and if the DJ society thats in WIT now has no one running it, then anyone with DJ experience obviously and has some sort of setup maybe, digital perhaps, wants to join us in running this, then by all means PM us and we can talk about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fairly sure this is/was one. Email Robin in Clubs & Socs for information on it, or for information on setting up a society. His email is rcroke@wit.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ya, there already is a DJ society since the 2010/'11 year. Pretty good crowd signed up for it too I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Sully wrote: »
    Fairly sure this is/was one. Email Robin in Clubs & Socs for information on it, or for information on setting up a society. His email is rcroke@wit.ie.
    Cheers for that, will keep it in mind.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    ya, there already is a DJ society since the 2010/'11 year. Pretty good crowd signed up for it too I think.
    Did you join it yourself? If so, was it fairly active? Any ideas if its still going this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Signed up to this last year, can't say I was an extremely active member now, but it was not ran very well to be honest. No disrespect to the guys who did run it, all out of their own time of course and they had good intentions, but it didn't seem to get off the ground that year at least. They sometimes had an open decks night in Escape (gone now), but whenever I went along it always seem to be the same guys djing.

Good idea though, I would recommend you get in touch with the guys running it (think they have a facebook page), the more volunteers helping out probably the more chance of it being a success. As you said Waterford City kind of lacks this at the moment, at least during the week anyway. Masons, Harveys & Foundry would be the 3 big nightclubs for students, and can't imagine them being very open to the idea due to the fact they are in such competition with each other, Crystal may be open to the idea, they have gotten acts in such as Todd Terry and Felix Da Housecat since opening up there a while ago, so they may see an opening for this type of night once a week, could always try get in touch with the Dome or Kazbar either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nickfro

Digitalism wrote: »
    Right so me and a mate might be going to WIT next year, and are thinking of if we do, that we might try to set up a DJ society.

Im not sure if there is an active DJ soc in WIT or one at all, but if there is, and one of the guys running it reads this, then PM me as id like to hear from you. If there is one then we'd love to run it in conjunction with ye guys.

We have our own kit, CDJs, Mixers, speakers etc. and lots of experience from playing nightclub gigs in dublin, drogheda, kilkenny and limerick. We even got a weekly slot for a few months in a big nightclub in western Australia last year when we were over there travelling/working. So im hoping this will help us in trying to convince a nightclub in waterford city to try out. We ideally would like to try and have say one night a week where we play non mainstream pop, rock etc. and more stuff like electro, house, drum and bass, dubstep.

Just some diverse music as ive heard Waterford lacks in that respect. Then say one day a week after college, we can set up the decks, and have lessons on Djing for the people who sign up. My mate was in a group like this in the college he was in before, and it worked very well, giving the beginners 15-20 minute slots each every week to get them going and it drew big crowds, due to their friends etc. getting invited. We dont expect to get paid, but it would be a great weekly thing to do and good for the beginners to make like minded friends. If this does take off, like in other colleges in dublin, cork, louth, where they have weekly gigs for the society around the colleges, the students nightclubs, events etc. then it would be great and would be a great student vibe around with it.

So im wondering, has this been tried before and failed? And how does one go about setting up the club, and if there is already a DJ club, any ideas on how I could get in contact with the guys who run it or whats the protocol on it? Do I need to go through the students union? Cheers

I should also say that, if by any chance this does get the go ahead and if the DJ society thats in WIT now has no one running it, then anyone with DJ experience obviously and has some sort of setup maybe, digital perhaps, wants to join us in running this, then by all means PM us and we can talk about it.

The best thing you can do is contact Robin Croke in clubs and Socs after you start college in WIT. Not much point doing it beforehand. Once you are here he will help you out with everything!

Setting up/running a society is not an easy thing either. If you want the society to kick off you must have a lot of active members, a lot of events and great PR because getting students to go to events these days can be quite tricky. Especially with all the clubs around town offering drinks for nothing! Just another tip, if you do set up/get involved with the society, when you are having events etc get other society's involved. They will have a member base to and them more people you get going to the events the less it will cost you to run!

• Advertisement
Advertisement