Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle 23 miles, how long??

• 06-11-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I am a complete n00b, as in, I know how to cycle but have never done any serious cycling in my life

How long would it take your average joe to cycle 23 miles??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's impossible to be accurate because of so many different factors (type of bike, weather, uphill/downhill, through traffic, in the country). If it's in the open country on a flat surface with a hybrid, 35-40km/hour would be the speed I would be expecting to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

penexpers wrote: »
    If it's in the open country on a flat surface with a hybrid, 35-40km/hour would be the speed I would be expecting to do.

Not something a novice should expect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Assuming it's on flat ground, you're not constantly stopping for traffic lights (- see thread elsewhere), and you're reasonably fit, I'd say you'd manage it in 80 - 120 minutes.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Ok I am a complete n00b, as in, I know how to cycle but have never done any serious cycling in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok should have been more clear sorry

Its all on a national roadway so fairly flat and assume a hybrid style bike on the side of road racer

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

91 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

It's impossible to be accurate because of so many different factors (type of bike, weather, uphill/downhill, through traffic, in the country). If it's in the open country on a flat surface with a hybrid, 35-40km/hour would be the speed I would be expecting to do.

I think 35/40kph average for a newbie would be fairly optimistic. Most club touring rides with experienced cyclists would only average 17/18mph (27/29kph). For most racing cyclists breaking the hour for 25 miles (ie 40kph average) is rite of passage.

Most of us regular cyclists could manage the 35/40kph for 23 miles but you'll be sweaty, thirsty and there won't be much chat on the ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kincsem wrote: »
    91 minutes.
    ...and 14 seconds. Presuming you are going in a north-north-easterly direction.

Seriously, if you are completely new to cycling I would guess a (flat ground, no wind) average in the high teens/low 20s (km/h) range- which might give you around 100-110 mins. (Similar to Ghost Rider's estimate.)

35-40km/h hour average on a hybrid is ludicrous talk. The type of person that can cycle 35-40km/h on a hybrid does not ride a hybrid ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How do you define average joe? If it's someone who has rarely cycled before and there is any sort of incline, their legs won't actually survive 23 miles.

Good point, it's far enough for someone who has no cycling at all, although if you are in any way fit and put in some minimal preparation you should manage it OK. Cycling shorts are a good idea or your arse may give out before your legs ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sounds very fast as far as I'm concerned!

35/40 kph?

40kph is about 25mph. I've just started training for next season, club rider/racer and, at the moment I'm doing about 120 miles a week at about 15/17 mph.

Well done. I'll tip my chapeau to you.
    The TdF guys are doing 50k odd TT's at 30mph. speed.
    You seem to have the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

When I started out I'd stop half way for about 20 mins to eat a bar of chocolate and drink something so you might want to include that in your time.

I'd also recommend bringing along an allen key to adjust the height of your saddle or handlebars if your shoulder muscles get stiff but this might be less of a problem if your bike has flat handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is the purpose of your trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was trying to see if cycling to work was an option

We have a shower in work so sweat wouldn't be a problem but it seems a little un-realistic to achieve

It's certainly quite a distance for starting off, but definitely possible.
    I had a look through my logs and the closest I could find was a 35km trip (21miles). Your trip is 37km. My trip took me 77 minutes and included two ascents of Howth (and obviously two descents :) ). Try the trip at the weekend so you can get a feel for it. Don't worry if it's a struggle at first, it doesn't take long to get into the swing of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sorry to be a pessimist but if it's 23 miles each way that would seem unrealistic. Also, even having a shower at work, it might take half an hour before you stop sweating after the ride so you'd have to factor that in if you expect to be at your desk at 9.15 sharp!

If it's 11/12 miles each way though then you could expect to do it leisurely in an hour and you wouldn't be so tired afterwards.

If I'm commuting I go for a speed where I won't sweat or get tired at all, even if I have a shower at work - I treat it like going for a nice walk, rather than a run. Hope the analogy makes sense. Good luck

23 miles each way each day would be extreme. You could however alternate; cycle in one morning/alternative transport back that evening, and cycle home the next evening. That could work. What is the route? If it is extra-urban there is a lighting issue in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

oops

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

King Raam wrote: »
    What is the purpose of your trip?

Is this a check point....:)

blorg wrote: »
    35-40km/h hour average on a hybrid is ludicrous talk. The type of person that can cycle 35-40km/h on a hybrid does not ride a hybrid ;-)

I used to ride a Specialized Sirrus with slick tires and provided the weather was fine, I could easily average 35-40kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

People quoting high speeds are probably looking at their little computers. The top speed is unrealistic to use here, and as for the "average speed", many computers will stop timing if the bike is at standstill! so it completely ignores time at lights.

Real commuting average speed is simple, get your miles and divide by the time. I do 4.5miles, in 20mins. 0.225 miles per min, so 23 would take me 102mins. But in reality I am going to be slower as the distance is longer, so I reckon 2 hours for me. When I began cycling my 4.5miles took a pathetic 60mins! At my 4.5/20mins the 95% of lads passing me are full on roadies in their gear with no back backs.

Vegeta- best bet is go onto google maps, find the halfway point. Go out on the weekend and cycle it, turn back halfway and keep going and time yourself. Then slap another 10mins on just incase. And at that distance bring 2 or 3 spare tubes and a pump- its a long walk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I used to ride a Specialized Sirrus with slick tires and provided the weather was fine, I could easily average 35-40kph.

To achieve an 35-40km/h average commuting speed (hilly bits, traffic, crossings, traffic lights) I'd guess you'd have to cycle at a speed of about 50kph. Most unlikely for a novice (the OP).

rubadub wrote: »
    People quoting high speeds are probably looking at their little computers. The top speed is unrealistic to use here, and as for the "average speed", many computers will stop timing if the bike is at standstill! so it completely ignores time at lights.

Yeah which is why I said if it was on an open road when you weren't being stopped every 100 metres my traffic lights or whatever.

My "real" average speed is probably closer to about 25kph, including time spent at lights and slowing down/starting up again.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is this a check point....:)

:D

For bits, sure. Not constant over an hour. In other words, the bit I doubt is that if you set off at 8am you will find yourself 35-40km down the road at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Give up the day job. With your talent you should be preparing for Beijing.

blorg wrote: »
    For bits, sure. Not constant over an hour. In other words, the bit I doubt is that if you set off at 8am you will find yourself 35-40km down the road at 9am.
    Thats always a point I make to people quoting commute times. It takes me 30mins to commute. To me that is my door closing until I am at my desk in work, 30mins total, "in the saddle" time is 20mins. I hear people fooling themselves, "oh I live outside dublin and commute but actually it is only 45mins", so I ask when they start, -maybe 9am, and then say "so you close your door at 8.15?

THEN you find out the truth, they are out at 6, walk to a bus, wait, go to a train station, wait, train takes 45mins, walk to bus stop, wait, then another bus, then a walk to work.

And many people do not factor all this time and expense into their wages. In my work people commuted from wexford for fairly menial jobs,- made no sense to be, they could have worked in a local supermarket in wexford, the hourly wage might be slightly more in the dublin place, but you waste 3-4hours and commuting expense that could have been paid time in a job nearby.

My car journey to work would usually take 40-45mins BUT that is a guess, I would have to leave 60mins to allow for bad traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

rubadub wrote: »

THEN you find out the truth, they are out at 6, walk to a bus, wait, go to a train station, wait, train takes 45mins, walk to bus stop, wait, then another bus, then a walk to work.

This is the logic that got me off the bus and into the saddle.
    Slightly longer set up/set down time (more bag packing, grabbing bike, wiping sweat off etc) with the bike, but hours a week less of dicking around time (standing at bus stop, walking to bus stop, sitting in traffic, crying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

I'd piss it in under an hour on flat terrrain,on a good day I might even sneak under 55 mins.On my BMX.

Slightly longer set up/set down time (more bag packing, grabbing bike, wiping sweat off etc) with the bike, but hours a week less of dicking around time (standing at bus stop, walking to bus stop, sitting in traffic, crying).

The other thing is that some people will commute by car train etc. Then go home, drive 30mins to a overpriced gym and do an hour on a exercise bike, then drive home 30mins again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

used to do 5 mile commute in london, front door to locking bike at college, just over 20mins,

now, 10 years older, 20 mile cycle for me now on open road, 80 to 90 minutes

Advertisement