Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done Deal

• 11-08-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Buying a car from Done Deal, what to watch out for? How to identify genuine private sellers? Advice welcome. Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

When you ring about the car ask every question relevant to the car, do some research on any known issues about the car your after and if the seller sounds anyway off then he/she prob is.....oh and trawl donedeal for the car your after as its always worth having a good thorough search before you part with your money. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was looking at cars this past fortnight. Saw one car I liked, googled the number, and it turned out he does a mileage correction service in Kerry.

Googled a few other mobile numbers, and it turned out they were selling more than one car, so not the private seller they were claiming to be.

- Google the phone number
    - ring them and ask them how long they have the car and does the paperwork confirm this, ask them is the car in their name.
    - Run the reg through motortax.ie for recent activity changing hands

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Google the phone number to see if lots of car ads come up, also when you call say your calling about the car on Donedeal, that way if they have loads up it will throw them off. Make sure you see the ligbook and it's in the sellers name, verify this with photo id, if possible meet seller at their home address that matches that on the logbook. Run a history check on Cartell or Motorcheck etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Read Limerick mans thread on buying a used car in Ireland.

/Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A genuine seller will have a LOT of information in the ad along with good quality, clear photos. Also, believe it or not, drastic spelling mistakes are a give-away of someone who couldn't really be bothered to do up a proper ad as "it's not worth that much to them". However, this doesn't always apply.

If you ring a genuine seller, he or she should be more than happy to answer any questions you have quickly and possibly in-depth.

Different sellers will have reasons for blocking their plates so don't think that because the plates are blocked that they are hiding something. I know it's often the case but again, not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I sold my car today and the buyer broke all the rules, never as much as checked the oil or pressed a button. A less honest seller than me could have conned him but I pointed out every flaw. Just check and double check everything

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I sold my car today and the buyer broke all the rules, never as much as checked the oil or pressed a button. A less honest seller than me could have conned him but I pointed out every flaw. Just check and double check everything

Same for me last car I sold, lad drove it less than 100 metres and was happy, payed cash on the hip. I encouaged him to take it out for a longer drive on the motorway but he was happy at that, dodgy seller could have exploited him but I suppose I must have an honest face, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Same for me last car I sold, lad drove it less than 100 metres and was happy, payed cash on the hip. I encouaged him to take it out for a longer drive on the motorway but he was happy at that, dodgy seller could have exploited him but I suppose I must have an honest face, lol.
    Tbh he drove it like a fairy, I made him pull over and switch seats. After 3 minutes of me driving it he said 'Im having it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

some people just know nothing about them, i know somebody that buys cars because she likes them, colour, shape etc, weird alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭boz13

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I was looking at cars this past fortnight. Saw one car I liked, googled the number, and it turned out he does a mileage correction service in Kerry.

Googled a few other mobile numbers, and it turned out they were selling more than one car, so not the private seller they were claiming to be.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is milage correction service? surely clocking cars is illegal, what would be a genuine case for milage correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

boz13 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is milage correction service? surely clocking cars is illegal, what would be a genuine case for milage correction?

It's not an illegal service, as some odometers actually do need correction. All you have to do is tell the mileage correction guy the mileage that should be on the car and just blame some electric gremlin. He knows, and the car owner knows, exactly what is going on. But as long as you don't ring up and ask for your car to be clocked, just corrected, then he's covered under the law.

But we all know what type of service they're actually providing. I'd imagine 99% of cars are being clocked rather than being corrected.

It's a farce and should be stopped.

Advertisement