Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Poor Bob - I was really moved by that scene in Vino's at the end of tonights episode.
    Bryan Murray deserves to be winning Oscars and he barely gets recognition in this country, which is a damn shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Poor Bob - I was really moved by that scene in Vino's at the end of tonights episode.
    Bryan Murray deserves to be winning Oscars and he barely gets recognition in this country, which is a damn shame...

completely agree.
    he is always game on.........such a fantastic actor! fair city is lucky to have such an awesome actor in the show. it really needed him! i can't imagine fair city without a bob charles now!

i really enjoyed tonight's episode. though suzanne was suchhhhhhh a cooowwwww!!!!! poor damien!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

He is an incredible actor and you are so right he does receive some type of an award. He comes across as such a humble type of guy that he (Bryan Murray) would probably dedicate any type of award to the writers saying something along the lines like "I'm only as good as the scripts I receive".

Bryan for President of Ireland - Man of the People......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Agreed about Bryan Murray; fantastic again tonight.

Esther and Suzanne should be locked in a darkened room for a few days. They can nag each other; save the rest.

C'mon Louie; give Damien a job behind the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Bob Charles is a fab actor in Fair City he really carries the show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

Thought it was a weak episode tonight and the only saving grace was Bob Charles. What else can be said about Bryan Murray's performance tonight. Completely eclipsed everyone else in the show. I can see his little black book getting bigger and bigger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Brian Murray is one of the countries greatest actors. I saw him in Bread the other day and was brilliant in that as well, and used to be very good in The Irish RM as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Brian Murray is one of the countries greatest actors. I saw him in Bread the other day and was brilliant in that as well, and used to be very good in The Irish RM as well.

Brilliant in Brookside, one of the best characters they ever had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Bryan Murray is in Medea at the moment, in the Samuel Beckett Centre in Trinity College. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping to get a ticket today.

Has anybody seen it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jackdlad2010

Bryan Murray is a brilliant actor. A pleasure to watch. I havn't seen Medea but my friend saw it yesterday and said he has not got a huge part in it but he's brilliant. I was Reading the daily star on Friday and Aoibhin Garrihy who plays Neasa is in a play at the moment called Neuropolis. Does anyone know where it's on? Like the new family but not seeing enough of Wayne, he's hilarious!

• Advertisement

looks like i was already exposed to bryan murray on another continent at the young aul age of 14! :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2RoCF3GoiE

Bryan Murray is a brilliant actor. A pleasure to watch. I havn't seen Medea but my friend saw it yesterday and said he has not got a huge part in it but he's brilliant. I was Reading the daily star on Friday and Aoibhin Garrihy who plays Neasa is in a play at the moment called Neuropolis. Does anyone know where it's on? Like the new family but not seeing enough of Wayne, he's hilarious!

Seems this is all about it:

http://www.fringefest.com/event/neuropolis

Bryan Murray is in Medea at the moment, in the Samuel Beckett Centre in Trinity College. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping to get a ticket today.

Has anybody seen it?

No I hadn't, he is such a wonderful actor.

I am not keen on the older sister of the dillons, the one who is supposed to be going to college, find her the worst so far but will give her more time.

Forgot to say, I laughed when Zak was made to answer the door at their party, my Mum & Dad used to make me do the same so all his facial expressions reminded me of what I was like :pac::D

Louie really needs a storyline, he is wandering aimlessly :(

0003b082-545.jpg

This week's preview - Episode 142

Tuesday 14th September
    Zak worries about the school gossips.
    Suzanne puts pressure on Damien to get his job back.
    Tommy and Judith compensate Bob for the hurt Neasa caused.
    Avi pushes Pete to go legit.
    Neasa and Suzanne bond.
    Bob spreads the word about Neasa's atonement.
    Written by Ted Gannon.

0003b083-545.jpg

Wednesday 15th September
    Damien's unemployment causes tension.

Avi goes it alone.

Bob sees an opportunity for revenge.

Carol is reprimanded by Bela.

Damien is uncomfortable with Suzanne's choice of company.
    Written by Ted Gannon.

0003b084-545.jpg

Thursday 16th September
    Suzanne is buoyed by her night out with Louie.

Damien tries to warn Suzanne off Neasa.

Caoimhe comes clean to Judith.

Carol admires Avi's assets. She offers some work.

Neasa suggests to Suzanne that Louie might fancy her. Suzanne makes her move!

McCoys kangaroo court finds Bob guilty.
    Written by Carmel Callan.

0003b085-545.jpg

Sunday 19th September
    Damien and Suzanne decide to spend some time together.

Bob reveals to Damien the conversation he overheard.

Esther gossips about Bob.

Damien confides in Dean about Neasa.

Christy determines to get Avi out of McCoys.

Bob leaves Carrigstown promising revenge on Louie. Will he take Damien's secret with him?
    Written by Carmel Callan.
    Directed by Anita Notaro.
    Location Director Gary Agnew.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/episodes.html

Bob leaves Carrigstown promising revenge on Louie
    :(

Hopefully not for long

Epicurus wrote: »

Hopefully not for long

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :(:( i never want him to leave!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :(:( i never want him to leave!
    My first ever post here announced his departure last year. He came back; he can come back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

The doctors voice is pissing me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

Hopefully not for long

I'm not happy about this at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hopefully not for long
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Why must they do this to me? Hopefully it's very temporary...

• Advertisement

Gibson101 wrote: »

Me too :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Gibson101 wrote: »

+ 1

We should start up a campaign....'Boardsies say Bring Bob Back'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

All together now:
    Bring Bob Back!
    Bring Bob Back!
    Bring Bob Back!:D

else keep bob on!
    hopefully it's just one of those things where you don't see a character for a few months and then they appear again all of a sudden.. lol

i'd say bryan needs a holiday in the sun after all that work he's after been through!

Part of me might think what is there left for Bob, he has burnt most of his bridges here but I refuse to allow myself to realise he is going :mad::mad::mad:

Sunday
    Damien and Suzanne decide to spend some time together. Bob reveals to Damien that he heard his conversation. The Dillons reluctantly agree to go out for Judith's birthday. Esther gossips about Bob. Damien confides in Dean about Neasa. Bob dismisses Christy's advice. Bob reveals to Neasa he knows about her and Damien.

Esther trades her golf prize for Avi. Christy determines to get Avi out of McCoys. Damien insists to Neasa that they should pay Bob off. Louie makes matters worse with Suzanne. Bob turns down Damien's offer of money. He demands that Damien make Louie apologise in public for what he said. He gives him until six to make it happen or else he will tell Suzanne. Pete discovers he can get a back-to-work allowance.

Suzanne tells Neasa that she made a pass at Louie. Louie refuses to help Damien. Dean advises Damien to come clean. He tries to speak to Suzanne but comes across aggressive. The Dillons arrive for the birthday meal and Bob follows them in. Damien drags Suzanne out of the restaurant. Bob tells Judith that Neasa had a one-night stand with Damien.

Bob follows Suzanne and Damien and reveals to her that Damien slept with Suzanne. Barry gives Zumo a 21st birthday card from Vivienne and Charlotte. Bob demands to see Louie. Damien and Suzanne go back to the house and he admits the truth. She hits him with the snooker cue.

Bob tells Louie he is leaving Carrigstown. He gives Zumo the rest of the money owed for Charlotte plus interest. Louie is shocked. Bob leaves Carrigstown promising revenge on Louie.Suzanne leaves Damien pulped on the floor.

Tuesday
    A distraught Damien lies to Tommy about his limp to cover Suzanne's abuse. Mark questions why the snooker cue is broken and Damien is unable to discuss last night's events with Suzanne. Tommy admits to Judith he misses country life. Cleo's 'dead mother' Aoife turns up in The Hungry Pig.

Carol inquires from Judith if Tommy might like to do some work in the park. Mark suspects Suzanne is lying to him about Damien. Zumo calls Charlotte but she is forced to hang up. She convinces Vivienne to give Zumo a last chance. Damien successfully begs a job from Leo.
    Tommy accepts the voluntary work from Carol. Aoife tells Cleo she won't leave Carrigstown easily.

Zumo's poor reading skills are highlighted by a broken life. Suzanne viciously confronts Neasa, calling her a "filthy bitch". Neasa tries to downplay the one-night stand to protect Damien. She offends Suzanne when she hopes that they can move on. Vivienne acknowledges she was wrong to stop Zumo seeing his sister. Zak spends his day working in the park and he pretends to his friends that he doesn't know his dad.

Bela suggests to Mark that he might consider moving out to give Damien and Suzanne some space. Cleo fails to reveal the truth about 'Patricia' to Robert. Judith denies to Tommy that she orchestrated the offer of work to Carol, but he is delighted to be working on 'land'. Suzanne asks Damien for some alone time. Cleo agrees to let Aoife stay for one night, while Robert is away. Damien tells Suzanne that he takes the blame for her violence.

Wednesday
    Damien appeals to Suzanne not to end their marriage. Charlotte convinces Vivienne to let her spend time with Zumo. Tommy questions why Judith is being so cross with Neasa. Cleo narrowly prevents Robert from discovering Aoife's presence. Zumo gets written instructions on what pills to give Charlotte. She insists he take her to the park.

Bela challenges Suzanne's domineering attitude at work. Barry suggests Tommy will need permission to plant vegetables in the park. Judith volunteers Neasa and Caoimhe to help Tommy in the park. Bela is swayed by Rachel to let her play with Zumo and Charlotte. Robert comes face to face with Cleo's dead mother. Cleo persuades him that Aoife has to go into witness protection to hide from a 'sex trafficking gang'.

Sarah pressures Suzanne into coming out for drinks. Cleo is forced into letting Aoife stay.
    In the park, Charlotte faints from exertion. Zumo calls on Charlie for help and admits he can't read. Charlotte begs Zumo not to tell her mother she was running around. Suzanne attacks Neasa again and dismisses that she will ever talk to her in the future.

Zak's classmates taunt him when they discover that Tommy is Zak's father. Zumo and Charlotte cover when Vivienne asks if they had a good day. Tommy assures Caoimhe he'll support them no matter what. In an effort to repair things with Suzanne, Damien questions if she's ready to try for a baby. Barry informs Carol that Tommy is growing vegetables for profit. Charlie refuses to help Zumo read.

Thursday
    Charlie admits to Bela he has been asked to help someone who he doesn't think deserves help. Suzanne put pressure on Damien to ask Leo for better pay. Tommy is outraged to discover an unofficial sign banning planting in the vegetable patch. Leo assures Damien he will look after Damien financially, if he does a good job.

Charlie agrees to teach Zumo to read, but on his terms. Tommy confronts Carol over the vegetable patch. Suzanne purposely embarrasses Damien in front of Leo with her bossy nature. Robert quizzes Aoife on her new identity as 'Aoife'. Esther urges Carol to use Tommy's vegetable patch for her own advantage. Suzanne assures Sarah that she does not like Neasa and Sarah should not hang out with her. Neasa tries to fill Damien in on her version of events but they get caught talking by Suzanne.

Suzanne insists that Damien never speak to Neasa again. Robert insists that Aoife cannot leave the apartment for fear of being recognised. Zumo is embarrassed when Charlie shows him the children's book that he has bought. Esther wrongly assumes that Charlie has a reading problem. Aoife ventures out in a disguise devised by Robert. Tommy questions Carol's change of heart about his veg patch.

Zumo's bad attitude annoys Charlie and he refuses to help him again. Sarah, Damien and Suzanne go for a drink but the evening is strained. Zak joins the lads when they wolf whistle at Rachel. Tommy discovers that Carol and Esther are using the veg patch as a photos op for themselves. Suzanne simmers when Sarah makes a quip about the gorgeous Dillon girls.
    Robert overhears Cleo tell Aoife of her hopes for Cleo and Robert's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

angel01 wrote: »
    Part of me might think what is there left for Bob, he has burnt most of his bridges here but I refuse to allow myself to realise he is going :mad::mad::mad:

I'm just relieved the character
    doesn't commit suicide
    , which I thought was on the cards for a long time. Purely on the quality of the actor, they will find a way to bring him back.

That's unless Bryan Murray is moving on to other things. He might be looking for new territories after five or six years on Fair City. He doesn't strike me as a lifer, like some of them, and he certainly must have other options.

How to ...

Be a Broadcast Coordinator (BCO).

We spoke to Fair City's Deirdre Horlacher to find out about the role of a Broadcast Coordinator.

What are the duties of a BCO?
    The role of BCO on Fair City is different to the other programmes we work on in RTÉ, as there are different demands when working on a Drama. Primarily, the BCO works on studio-based programmes, ensuring that all of the various elements of the production are in place before going into studio. We prepare a camera script, running order, view VT clips, check graphics, send information to subtitling and the web, but most importantly we are responsible for bringing the programme in on time.
    Here on Fair City, we shoot four episodes a week, and the scenes are shot in location order, rather than in the story order you see on screen. On Fair City, the first thing the BCO does is dissect the scripts, extracting the various elements that make up a scene on Fair City. This includes the props, costume & make-up requirements, lighting and sound notes, and whether we need extras or vehicles for a particular scene. All this information is inputted into a computer programme called TIPS, and a Running Order is produced in Shooting Order. We work in studio, sitting alongside the Director and Vision Mixer, calling the shots for cameras, writing up edit notes, watching for continuity of props and costume, timing each scene and ensuring that the actors keep to the script. We also work on location for the exterior scenes.
    How did you become a BCO?
    When I joined RTÉ in 1978, communications courses didn't exist. I was always very interested in how TV programmes were made, and was a frequent audience member before landing a job as a Secretarial Assistant. I worked in the RTÉ newsroom for a number of years on radio news programme such as News At One, This Week, World Report, Morning Ireland. I applied for the job of Production Assistant, (as it was called then) and was given a three month training course. I've worked on many and various TV programmes over the years including Prime Time, The Late Late Show, The Eurovision Song Contest, Opening Ceremony of The Special Olympics, Podge & Rodge. I returned to Fair City at the beginning of the year, and am really enjoying working on drama again.
    What are important qualities to have, to be a BCO?
    The most important quality you need is to remain cool, calm, and level headed under pressure. You also need to be creative, be a good organiser, a good communicator, and have good interpersonal skills because making a TV programme is a team effort. Good computer skills are now also essential, and having a sense of humour is a help.
    How do you approach your working day on Fair City?
    With enthusiasm. Every day is different on Fair City, whether you're working in the office, in studio or out on location. It's very much a team effort.
    What is the difference between working in studio and when you are working on location?
    The pace is a lot slower on location because it takes time to set up the cameras, the tracks, and lights. Scenes have to be repeated a number of times with different shot sizes and angles, and the BCO has to be very careful to watch the continuity of props and actions. It's wonderful to see the street come to life as the cars and extras walk through. Weather is also a huge factor; it can be miserable on a cold, wet day. However, the sun is frequently the enemy, causing hard shadows. I love working in studio, it's my favourite part of the working schedule in Fair City. There are long days, and lots of scenes to record on a very tight schedule, but there's great satisfaction in seeing all the hard work and preparation pay off.
    What is the best thing and worst thing about being a BCO?
    The best thing is the buzz you get out of working in studio. It's wonderful to see an episode come alive from page to screen. The worst thing is all the paperwork, there's a lot of it.
    What advice would you give to anyone wanting become a BCO?
    Go for it! It's a really interesting job. You are right at the core of the production team, and it's a great stepping stone to other jobs in the production process.
    Many thanks to Deirdre for answering our questions for this "How To."
    Have you watched the credits and wondered "What is a Stage Manager?", or "How did that Assistant Producer come to work in television?" If you are curious to know more about a production role in Fair City please email faircity@rte.ie with the subject line "How to...", and we will endeavour to slake your curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

9,000 posts -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Suzanne is going to turn into the abusive partner in the marriage and not Damo
    :eek:

I dont think there is anything left in Carrigstown for Bob even though lately I am coming around and really liking his character

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement